Status
Not open for further replies.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say flaying out, talking all afternoon, then staying the night and spending a good chunk of the next day with a guy is one heck of an interview. If he isnt the guy I gotta agree that this does look bad.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
MJMGator;n123729 said:
Not really. What if Foley is still interviewing other candidates. Weren't you one of the ones pissing and moaning about him not doing his due diligence yesterday?

No, I wasn't happy with who he wanted but if thats who he wants we will most likely end up hiring him so I have two choices, support him or not support the gators...think I know what choice I'll make.

And MJM, you don't go out there and make all of this public to just interview guys.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't several people already reported that McElwain has told people he's accepting the UF job? I'm sure it's a done deal. I was joking about the other planes.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Foley intended to bring him back. The CSU president is the fly in the $7.5M unenforceable penalty ointment.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
oxrageous;n123737 said:
Haven't several people already reported that McElwain has told people he's accepting the UF job? I'm sure it's a done deal. I was joking about the other planes.

Reading in a lot of places that CSU isn't budging on the buyout and talks have stalled for now. CSU players are tweeting that no team meetings have been called.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n123735 said:
No, I wasn't happy with who he wanted but if thats who he wants we will most likely end up hiring him so I have two choices, support him or not support the gators...think I know what choice I'll make.

And MJM, you don't go out there and make all of this public to just interview guys.
I don't think Foley announced he was going out there...the media found out and it was all over after that. We'll just have to wait and see. Who knows...maybe Foley has reservations after interviewing him. :dunno:

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Isn't it possible that negotiations on the buyout are taking some time? If they are trying to be creative in a solution, say UF playing a game at Mile High Stadium and paying them some cash or some combination of those ideas, that would take some time. It would certainly involve multiple people at CSU and require some discussion. Not surprised it might be taking some time to get a deal done. I don't blame CSU for playing hardball, if they actually are.

There's just no way to know, factually, what is going on behind closed doors.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n123738 said:
Foley intended to bring him back. The CSU president is the fly in the $7.5M unenforceable penalty ointment.

It is was absolutely unenforceable there would be no issue. He will have to work around it somehow or we will be going to a different alternative.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If you were CSU, would you budge on the buyout? I see no reason why they would.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n123739 said:
jeez man, be easy... im on the ledge over here!!! :eek:hnoes:

Which tier?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n123737 said:

You're not the only place I heard about those schools contacting CSU.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n123731 said:
I still think there will be at least two more candidates interviewed. McEwain might be the lead candidate, but the UAA and Foley would still do due diligence. Nebraska doesn't have Florida money, and Michigan while powerful might scoff at the buyout as well.

Why do you think that Nebraska does not have "Florida money" (whatever that might be). They are in the Big 10 which makes a lot on TV etc. The buyout will be an issue for everyone since it is money for nothing, and no chicks for free either.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n123744 said:
It is was absolutely unenforceable there would be no issue. He will have to work around it somehow or we will be going to a different alternative.
Negotiation is much easier than litigation if parties are reasonable.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n123704 said:
No. I had never heard of Jim McElwain a month ago. I don't consider this a "splash hire" in the least. Doesn't mean it's a bad hire, though.

When we get down to Bob Davie will you still not consider it a bad hire ?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ;n123709 said:
I like the potential hire, but I would prefer that we pay Stoops $6 million a year to lure him from Oklahoma instead of paying for this buyout.

Have heard it's in the works.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nebraska has plenty of money. Maybe even more than UF does. They are also desperate, just like UF. McElwain is sitting in the fabled catbird seat - he's going to be overpaid by someone.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n123762 said:
Have heard it's in the works.

Would love to get Stoops, but I just don't think its gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator