Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n123757 said:
Why do you think that Nebraska does not have "Florida money" (whatever that might be). They are in the Big 10 which makes a lot on TV etc. The buyout will be an issue for everyone since it is money for nothing, and no chicks for free either.

Because when Forbes does the breakdown of the athletic programs Nebraska is in the teir of schools below us. So it's an issue for any school, but it is easier for the school whose athletic departments are routinely in the black, as opposed to those that are not so.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we need a "spalsh" hire... we need a good coach. Do people blame Foley if he chooses not to pay 7.5 million? They would be pissed if he didn't at least try to get it lower, but if he tries and can't get it lower they slam him?

I think it looks bad if Foley can't pull this off, but depending on who he can get it is not devistating. We do need a coach though and Foley might have to bite the bullet and pay 7.5 million. I honestly don't think Michigan or Nebraska will pay it either.

Rumor is Florida is trying to get it down to 3 million

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n123737 said:
Haven't several people already reported that McElwain has told people he's accepting the UF job? I'm sure it's a done deal. I was joking about the other planes.

Unfortunately the other planes weren't a joke.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n123769 said:
I don't think we need a "spalsh" hire... we need a good coach. Do people blame Foley if he chooses not to pay 7.5 million? They would be pissed if he didn't at least try to get it lower, but if he tries and can't get it lower they slam him?

I think it looks bad if Foley can't pull this off, but depending on who he can get it is not devistating. We do need a coach though and Foley might have to bite the bullet and pay 7.5 million. I honestly don't think Michigan or Nebraska will pay it either.

Rumor is Florida is trying to get it down to 3 million
Foley isn't paying the 7.5 million. The question is, can he get the money from the people that DO pay it? They have probably never heard of Jim McElwain either, so it may be difficult.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
MJMGator;n123721 said:
Find it hard to believe Flley would be this public with his pursuit if he wasn't planning on offering. That said, it's almost impossible to keep anything a secret in this day and age.

Who has said he didn't offer? I believe he did. The CSU contract specifically states the buy out has to be addressed BEFORE JM can announce his leaving. Could be part of the strategy. A public courting of a coach with a high buyout. Allowing info to be leaked by the coach's personal advisor to the rabid press via twitter the coach is interested and the ball is in Foley's court, provided the buyout can be negotiated. A fired AD privy to the negotiations on the buy out leaks that the president verbally said he would reduce or eliminate the buyout if the coach's dream job came along. What does a college holding the buy out do when they have a coach who wants to leave but can't if the president reneges on the alleged verbal caveat regarding waiving it for the dream job? How do the athletes feel about their coach, knowing he'd be gone if the buy out wasn't there? What about recruiting? This could have all been done to try and soften CSU's position up on the buy out negotiations. Foley met with Frank this morning to discuss it, according to the Denver Post. Then flew out early. Meanwhile major news outlets are announcing a done deal, with a few picking up on the buy out stall. CSU players and assistants are tweeting they are in the dark. Foley flew out of Fort Collins this afternoon leaving CSU a mess.

On the other hand, CSU maybe holding the buy out firm, figuring that UF, Michigan or Nebraska will eventually take their coach. But if everyone passes on 7.5 mil, CSU is stuck with a coach they knew wanted to leave. In my mind, that's not a good thing for the locker room or the recruiting trail.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Hilarious how some on here are saying its a done deal and others say it isn't . Love coaching searches

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n123775 said:
He can't be sure, he just follows Ox around and says "yeah, what he said".
Quit being a jerk.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@osgators: Jeremy Foley after landing in Gainesville, “We had a great conversation … We’re not there yet,” with deal or CSU coach Jin McElwain.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n123763 said:
Nebraska has plenty of money. Maybe even more than UF does. They are also desperate, just like UF. McElwain is sitting in the fabled catbird seat - he's going to be overpaid by someone.

In 2013, one of our worst years... according to Forbes Football Program alone Florida value $86 Million with 2013 profit of $47 Million (down 1% from 2 years ago)... Nebraska $77 Million with 2013 profit of $35 Million (down 18% from 2 years ago).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n123778 said:
Quit being a jerk.

I'm not. Seriously though I heard a rumor now that Nebraska contacted him on Sunday after firing Bo.....Take it for what it's worth.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n123783 said:
In 2013, one of our worst years... according to Forbes Football Program alone Florida value $86 Million with 2013 profit of $47 Million (down 1% from 2 years ago)... Nebraska $77 Million with 2013 profit of $35 Million (down 18% from 2 years ago).
The question is, can Nebraska afford to pay a coach 4 or 5 million a year? I say they absolutely can. Easily.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;123768 said:
Because when Forbes does the breakdown of the athletic programs Nebraska is in the teir of schools below us. So it's an issue for any school, but it is easier for the school whose athletic departments are routinely in the black, as opposed to those that are not so.

If Baylor and Michigan State can pay top dollar for their coaches, Nebraska's not going to have an issue competing against us in salary.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n123745 said:
If you were CSU, would you budge on the buyout? I see no reason why they would.

Other than just the perception that you're the last place an emerging coach would want to go. At the end of the day CSU will always be a stepping-stone type job. There's something to be said about being considered a launching point for coaches, and they could still have decent success in the process, even in if they have to deal with turnover every few years. But if I'm looking at making the jump from OC/DC to HC and there's an opening at CSU, and I know I have to stay 7-10 years due to their strict clauses, I'm looking elsewhere.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n123788 said:
Other than just the perception that you're the last place an emerging coach would want to go. At the end of the day CSU will always be a stepping-stone type job. There's something to be said about being considered a launching point for coaches, and they could still have decent success in the process, even in if they have to deal with turnover every few years. But if I'm looking at making the jump from OC/DC to HC and there's an opening at CSU, and I know I have to stay 7-10 years due to their strict clauses, I'm looking elsewhere.
Why would McElwain agree to that kind of buyout in the first place?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n123786 said:
The question is, can Nebraska afford to pay a coach 4 or 5 million a year? I say they absolutely can. Easily.

Not saying they can't pay $4 or $5, what I'm saying is that everyone is going to take a step back when talking about $7.5 Million Dollar buyout.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n123791 said:
Not saying they can't pay $4 or $5, what I'm saying is that everyone is going to take a step back when talking about $7.5 Million Dollar buyout.

:exactly: Remember folks, this is paying 7.5 million just for the privilege of hiring the guy away from CSU. We still have to pay him a salary above and beyond that buyout. Somebody is going to have to want him pretty darn bad to pay that amount just to free him up from CSU.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n123787 said:
If Baylor and Michigan State can pay top dollar for their coaches, Nebraska's not going to have an issue competing against us in salary.

Michigan State is a good example, Baylor is #22 in coaches pay at 3,135,146 for the 2014 season. Michigan State usually is in the top 20, but fell off in 2013, have to wonder if part of that profit loss was the 5,636,145 that Danonio is making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.