Not open for further replies.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n123859 said:
Didn't know that. I know the guy is one of the best, but I find it hard to believe that this was a good move for his client.

I'm pretty sure he and McElwain realized they were in a serious box with that buyout figure, that's why they negotiated the "dream job clause" back in June.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n123842]

He knew he had a money hurdle upfront, that we all know. What I think you're failing to take into account is the importance Foley places on visceral contact. Remember, it was that lengthy afternoon tete-a-tete in Austin that led to Foley handing Muschamp the keys to the Ferrari. I think this is the way Foley operates. [/QUOTE]

It's the smart way. Entering a financial negotiation, not even 100% sure you want the product, is foolish.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n123857 said:
But wait, Foley wanted all of this to be private, he tried to sneak over to Jacksonville and take a flight not associated with Florida. But the world is different these days, you can't pass gas without some camera noticing you lifted your leg. We're now seeing exactly why he and most intelligent executives who hire and fire people with millions of dollars hanging in the balance, do this in secrecy when possible.

If Foley had his way, none of us would have the slightest damn clue that we're going head-to-head with Colorado State's President over a buyout clause. Nonetheless, it's public now, and yes, we may have to endure a day or two of "poor optics." But when it's all said and done, we'll have our man.

I hope you're right...

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
HogtownGator;n123851 said:
Anyway, you don't go into an interview and say, "by the way, I've already talked to your boss. . . " You talk to the man first, not his boss.

That's exactly what I said. If you read my post, I noted the direct conversations with the potential head coach to gauge his interest and then you speak to his boss after that. However the initial conversation b/t Foley and McElwain didn't have to be limited to a face to face meeting.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There's no way you let $3 million keep you from hiring your guy.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What makes you guys think that this isn't McElwain and his agent buying time to "see what they can get"....remember Michigan and Nebraska aren't CFB lightweights. Like I said earlier I've heard from someone that Nebraska talked to him first. I guess we'll all find out but please don't be butthurt when Nebraska announces him as their new HC:eek:hnoes2:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Original DC;n123863 said:
I'm pretty sure he and McElwain realized they were in a serious box with that buyout figure, that's why they negotiated the "dream job clause" back in June.

Still, putting yourself in that position to begin with is amateur hour.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
i'd say there's some serious butthurt in Colorado right now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;123812 said:
If CSU doesnt budge, **** em. Move on to the next one. Holding back a coach's career wont do CSU any favors when it comes time to hire their next coach, nor will it help the relationship with their current coach. Sounds like Foley tried to be reasonable, cant fault him that the same cant be said about CSU.

This times 1000. For some reason a lot of people are thinking that somehow give CSU leverage. It gives Foley leverage.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n123865 said:
Foley is a moron that continues to make us look bad nationally

Eh, stand by for about 30 minutes, we'll win another national title or All-sports trophy to bring the optics back in line. ;)

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n123879 said:
Originally posted by Ray Finkle
If CSU doesnt budge, **** em. Move on to the next one. Holding back a coach's career wont do CSU any favors when it comes time to hire their next coach, nor will it help the relationship with their current coach. Sounds like Foley tried to be reasonable, cant fault him that the same cant be said about CSU.

This times 1000. For some reason a lot of people are thinking that somehow give CSU leverage. It gives Foley leverage

Yep it may piss JM and Foley both off. Keep him from his dream job. CSU has to know its at a point to see what they can get $$$ wise. But not at the risk of losing the $$$ and having a pissed off coach at them. Not good for all. Maybe this is a cool off time and JF to leave so they will clear their heads at CSU.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n123871 said:
What makes you guys think that this isn't McElwain and his agent buying time to "see what they can get"....remember Michigan and Nebraska aren't CFB lightweights. Like I said earlier I've heard from someone that Nebraska talked to him first. I guess we'll all find out but please don't be butthurt when Nebraska announces him as their new HC:eek:hnoes2:

Interesting take on things. You may be correct.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n123881 said:
Eh, stand by for about 30 minutes, we'll win another national title or All-sports trophy to bring the optics back in line. ;)

I can tell you it's not our success in gymnastics and volleyball that gets my D hard when watching them. Only good football can do that and Mr Foley has had me limp for far too long now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator