Recruiting Joe Burrow leaves OSU and becomes a corndog

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Natti is close to home. LSU, eh?

One of Meyer's staff who worked with Burrow is now HC there at Cincy as well.

We have the system, but LSU has serious QB needs and likely a better OL, Nebraska has family ties, and Cincy has one of his former OSU coaches and is close.

Tough call. Not an abundance of reason to consider us a lock for his services.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If bringing in burrow means franks transfers, who cares?
Franks isn't transferring. He didn't even think about going somewhere else when we were trying to land Eason.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
From an OSU board posted after Burrow's announcement. All caps and bold are the poster's. :lol:

HELP WANTED: NEED A QB, PREFERABLY WITH SOME MOBILITY, SUNNY DISPOSITION, EXPERIENCE, AND NOT TOO MUCH EGO

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One of Meyer's staff who worked with Burrow is now HC there at Cincy as well.
OSU typically doesnt do UC any favors. I will be surprised if they release him to UC.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
IMO, the best way to not 'stunt' EJ's growth is to get Burrow. No way Franks and/or Trask doesn't sh*t the bed if they win the job....and/or not get injured.

Burrow allows EJ to redshirt and get snaps as a redshirt freshman next year.....and allows Jalon Jones to redshirt. In 2020 we'd be in an ideal situation w/ EJ as a RS Soph and JJ as a RS Freshman....and very likely another true freshman on the roster.

The only negative about Burrow is we'd likely not land a 2nd QB in this class (they still pursing Peter Parrish out of Alabama as the 2nd QB...along w/ a couple of other lower rated kids).

Even if Burrow comes here I think Emory plays some in 2018 no matter what. The kid is that talented. Plus with our injury history at QB I always expect to see the backup.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you already ****ting on a guy who’s not on the team and is nothing more than a possibility at this point?
Thats how you read that?

Read it again.

Hint Burrow isnt the one whose sole spring game TD was to an alum safety.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Where do you suppose Urban and Shelley met and graduated? He playing DB and she being a cheerleader.
That has nothing to do with them being rivals, sort of. They are the closest thing to an instate rival.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Franks isn't transferring. He didn't even think about going somewhere else when we were trying to land Eason.
No he said and i quote "iron sharpens iron" kid obviously has the heart and soul of a champion

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
OSU typically doesnt do UC any favors. I will be surprised if they release him to UC.

Well, let's see:

1. UNL is in conference, I can see him released to them.

2. UC is not as big time, but they might be the only program willing to promise him a job.

3. Iowa State has an up and coming coach and program in a conference where he will face little defense and lots of QBs get drafted.

4. LSU is in the toughest of the toughest conference with a coach with no record developing QBs.

5. UCLA is in another conference where QBs are drafted all the time and where the new guy has a history of wide open offenses.

6. UF is on the easier side of the toughest conference and has a new coach ala UCLA with no loyalty to any holder over QBs and some history of developing QBs and a similar offense to that Burrow has been running.

I am not sure that last point for UF helps or hurts. I would think this will come down to UF, UCLA and Iowa State, but we shall see.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
After chewing on this awhile, I don’t want Burrow to come to UF. I don’t think I’ve cornered the market on analysis, but here’s why:

Del Rio, Appleby, Zaire. The history isn’t good. Burrow may be a decent QB but I don’t think we want to settle for “maybe decent”. The patch-job approach to QB hasn’t worked. Burrow isn’t Russell Wilson or even Will Grier.

We may be so hungry that a can of Chef Boyardee is looking pretty good, and we liked it as kids so why not? But we are likely to feel sick afterwards. And it isn’t like we didn’t have that recently so we know better. Take the time to cook up something good.

Whatever Franks and/or Trask do or don’t do, I’d rather take the longer view with them, Jones & Jones and whoever else they recruit. Bringing in a transfer with 2 years of eligibility could disrupt their development & recruiting. That potential cost isn’t worth the potential benefit, unless he’s going to win us an SEC. Does anyone think that? Anyone?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Del Rio, Appleby, Zaire. The history isn’t good. Burrow may be a decent QB but I don’t think we want to settle for “maybe decent”. The patch-job approach to QB hasn’t worked. Burrow isn’t Russell Wilson or even Will Grier.

You're way, way, way off. You're comparing apples & oranges. Burrow is a legit QB w/ pro prospects. The three QBs you listed were/are career back-ups/walk-on caliber. Burrow is 1B at Ohio State - not Oregon State....or Purdue, or even Notre Dame (as the other three were). The only reason he's not the starter is he got injured and Haskins passed him on the depth chart and played in actual games while he was injured (Haskins entered the Michigan game last year w/ OSU behind and led them to a win). And Meyer still hasn't publicly named the starter (maybe he was trying to get Burrow to return? But he was torn on who 1A and 1B is). This kid will be the starter here the second he walks on campus....for two years. And comparing him to college Russell Wilson is a bad comparison. College Russell Wilson was a 5'11 baseball player who transferred from NC State. And Burrow is every bit as good as redshirt freshman Will Grier.

Anyone pulling the "we didn't want him anyway" (or "I'd rather he not come here") is kidding themselves. This kid turns us into a legitimate contender to win the East this year. Franks and/or Trask will barely give us a shot at a bowl game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone pulling the "we didn't want him anyway" (or "I'd rather he not come here") is kidding themselves. This kid turns us into a legitimate contender to win the East this year.
I blame PTSD from Foley's shyt hires. Anyone who cant see this kid is ten times better than Franks is silly. and it sure as hell isn't going to affect the decisions of future quarterbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator