Recruiting Joe Burrow leaves OSU and becomes a corndog

leogator

May 5, 2018
Where would he go? NFL? No way. He'd have to throw for 4000 yds, 30 TDs and only a few picks. Anyone see that happening?
Supposedly that's his ambition (I'm assuming you're talking about Burrow).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[
We thought the same thing about Driskell. He transferred to a La. Tech and did pretty well.
He didn't do that well. He was a turnover machine in every game that mattered like always.

You do realize there's a difference between a kid who was the number one rated 4 star quarterback that people assumed had terrible quarterback coaching versus the guy that was Houston Baptist's number 5 choice right? Trash didn't actually have another scholarship offer even then. Division 3 teams do not give out scholarships.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[

He didn't do that well. He was a turnover machine in every game that mattered like always.

You do realize there's a difference between a kid who was the number one rated 4 star quarterback that people assumed had terrible quarterback coaching versus the guy that was Houston Baptist's number 5 choice right? Trash didn't actually have another scholarship offer even then. Division 3 teams do not give out scholarships.
The parochial schools deal in faith.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We thought the same thing about Driskell. He transferred to a La. Tech and did pretty well.

Sure, but Driskel - as bad as he was here at UF - showed potential. Franks still runs out of bounds 5 yards behind the LOS and throws a pick every 8 or so attempts. I've said this before, but (imo) Franks is uncoachable. As bad as Nussmeir is/was (and Butters), it's probably safe that they told him in the film room - "When you are in this situation....just toss the ball out of bounds. That saves us 5 yards and we get the ball back at the original LOS." Seriously. He does the same thing over and over and is uncoachable. He's a bad QB. It's as simple as that. Any coach at a potential transfer spot will see that as well.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Supposedly that's his ambition (I'm assuming you're talking about Burrow).

You think Burrow is going to have a good enough year to get him drafted by the NFL if he came here?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with Burrow being the starter for 2 years if he was still the best option his 2nd year. I think his 1st year he would be the best option for sure.

leogator

May 5, 2018
You think Burrow is going to have a good enough year to get him drafted by the NFL if he came here?
Haha...probably not with the OL we have. Come to think of it he's more of pro QB that can see the field and can step into the pocket. In that he's a lot like Trask. Well except he started in HS.

Now that I think about it, maybe Cord Sandberg makes more sense. He supposedly ran a 4.55 forty in HS and signed with Mullen in 2013. He elected to go with baseball instead. If you're going to go with a running QB Cord is the better candidate.

Last edited:

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
I don't think Trask will transfer ever. Where would he go? (same could be said for Franks....who would take them?) Both of our QBs are 1AA back-ups, at best.

I still say Franks would get a shot somewhere. Brandon Harris at LSU was just as bad and Fedora from UNC gave him a chance.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
The only way I see us not going after Burrow is if Mullen doesn't want to stunt Emory.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
The only way I see us not going after Burrow is if Mullen doesn't want to stunt Emory.

Mullen may be willing to let UF go thru growing pains as opposed to the quick fix.

Miami Herald quoted DM as saying he wants to see "massive strides" from someone before he names a starter at QB.

That TOTALLY leaves the door open to EJ starting as a true freshman because he's the only one of the three even capable of making "massive" progress compared to the rather low ceiling of the other two guys.

He's either slow playing the transfer game or he's going to pin his hopes on EJ's potential for quicker development.

I'd say getting that kid here as an early enrollee is having major influence on Dan's decision making here.

Remember EJ's mom saying he's already changed remarkably since he got to campus in Jan.....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mullen may be willing to let UF go thru growing pains as opposed to the quick fix.

Miami Herald quoted DM as saying he wants to see "massive strides" from someone before he names a starter at QB.

That TOTALLY leaves the door open to EJ starting as a true freshman because he's the only one of the three even capable of making "massive" progress compared to the rather low ceiling of the other two guys.

He's either slow playing the transfer game or he's going to pin his hopes on EJ's potential for quicker development.

I'd say getting that kid here as an early enrollee is having major influence on Dan's decision making here.

Remember EJ's mom saying he's already changed remarkably since he got to campus in Jan.....

IMO, the best way to not 'stunt' EJ's growth is to get Burrow. No way Franks and/or Trask doesn't sh*t the bed if they win the job....and/or not get injured.

Burrow allows EJ to redshirt and get snaps as a redshirt freshman next year.....and allows Jalon Jones to redshirt. In 2020 we'd be in an ideal situation w/ EJ as a RS Soph and JJ as a RS Freshman....and very likely another true freshman on the roster.

The only negative about Burrow is we'd likely not land a 2nd QB in this class (they still pursing Peter Parrish out of Alabama as the 2nd QB...along w/ a couple of other lower rated kids).

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
IMO, the best way to not 'stunt' EJ's growth is to get Burrow. No way Franks and/or Trask doesn't sh*t the bed if they win the job....and/or not get injured.

Burrow allows EJ to redshirt and get snaps as a redshirt freshman next year.....and allows Jalon Jones to redshirt. In 2020 we'd be in an ideal situation w/ EJ as a RS Soph and JJ as a RS Freshman....and very likely another true freshman on the roster.

The only negative about Burrow is we'd likely not land a 2nd QB in this class (they still pursing Peter Parrish out of Alabama as the 2nd QB...along w/ a couple of other lower rated kids).

It's possible. Mullen's decisions one way or the other revolve around the Jones boys.

Burrow does make EJ's and JJ's redshirts a real thing but only works if he and Mullen agree this is a one and done deal. I'm sure Dan would want someone more solid at QB as he walks in, just like with Leak even though Chris wasn't a perfect fit for the offense at the time.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's possible. Mullen's decisions one way or the other revolve around the Jones boys.

Burrow does make EJ's and JJ's redshirts a real thing but only works if he and Mullen agree this is a one and done deal. I'm sure Dan would want someone more solid at QB as he walks in, just like with Leak even though Chris wasn't a perfect fit for the offense at the time.

"One and done" would mean Burrow wouldn't even consider us. The kid is a 2-year starter. I'd give up on one of the Jones' to have a solid 2-year starter because there's no guarantee that either EJ or JJ will be a good college QB. I think Burrow is going to be an outstanding college QB. Not sure where the 'one and done' idea came from, but from Burrow's perspective it's not an option. That's why all the pissing and moaning about "I don't want to take another grad transfer" (like Butters did) is moot - it's comparing apples and oranges. Burrow isn't leaving on the same note that Appleby or Zaire did. He's leaving because he knows he's a starter and they have a guy who they like better. Appleby and Zaire were firmly #2, Burrow is 1B at OSU. And he's better than any QB on our roster, including a true freshman (EJ). This is a no-brainer (IF he wants to come to UF).

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
"One and done" would mean Burrow wouldn't even consider us. The kid is a 2-year starter. I'd give up on one of the Jones' to have a solid 2-year starter because there's no guarantee that either EJ or JJ will be a good college QB. I think Burrow is going to be an outstanding college QB. Not sure where the 'one and done' idea came from, but from Burrow's perspective it's not an option. That's why all the pissing and moaning about "I don't want to take another grad transfer" (like Butters did) is moot - it's comparing apples and oranges. Burrow isn't leaving on the same note that Appleby or Zaire did. He's leaving because he knows he's a starter and they have a guy who they like better. Appleby and Zaire were firmly #2, Burrow is 1B at OSU. And he's better than any QB on our roster, including a true freshman (EJ). This is a no-brainer (IF he wants to come to UF).

definitely no comparison between Burrow and Appleby/Zaire.

working EJ in slowly as a redshirt frosh could work. i'm still pretty confident the kid is gonna be really good, JJ too, and I'd hate to see him bail just because he wants to play sooner rather than later in a day and age where lots of true frosh QBs are taking the field.

so many egos to balance for DM. comes with the territory i guess. if there is a real opportunity to snag Joe, then with all things considered, i hope he gets it right.

and of course this could all just blow away very quickly with teams like LSU and Nebraska in the hunt.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@BruceFeldmanCFB: SOURCE: #OhioState grad transfer QB Joe Burrow is expected to take a visit to #Cincinnati Thursday and #LSU this weekend.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think that Mullen is afraid that if he brings Burrow in, Franks and Trask will transfer leaving him with just 2 QBs which is scary. One QB is a freshman and you don't want to throw him out there behind our OL and the other one will need a crash course in our plays and terminology.

If I'm Burrow, I'm going to LSU. They have a pretty good OL, good receivers and RBs. He will not get killed behind our OL. Their QBs don't scare anyone just like ours.
If bringing in burrow means franks transfers, who cares?

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Since we aren’t going to throw the ball in this offense why do we even need a QB ? Can’t we just make one of the backs a QB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.