Just a Couple of Thoughts to Add...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After having to wait an extra week for the season to open, it was good to see us take the field and not only put up a lot of points, but also secure a shut-out. It's been a while since that has happened around these parts. Yeah, it was only Eastern Michigan, but you'll recall that there has been a three year clamor for this type of game. Funny thing, some among us that have been doing a lot of the clamoring seem more worried now than ever!? I guess that's to be expected with Muschamp's appeal rating being similar to that of the seated president. Still, it was good to see us scoring and having fun again. Here's a few things that struck me:

*We've got a great stable of backs and I thought the ball got distributed pretty well on Saturday. From a couple of the comments I read, there may be a lilttle worry with Matt Jones getting the starting nod over Kelvin Taylor. Both got their touches and scores and even Mack Brown had some good runs. It's a long season and the backs usually will have some injury issues throughout, so the depth should pay off as we get deeper into the schedule. My favorite back is the one that's carrying the ball. It's good that we have four we know that can make something happen. We'll probably need them all before the season concludes.

*Nice to see Dubose healthy and doing what he does best on special teams. Punt returns can change momentum very quickly and while it likely wasn't crucial to the outcome Saturday, it is another weapon that the opponents have to prepare for. Hope he can stay healthy.

*Liking what I saw defensively, though again it was against a lesser opponent. Saw some good things from the DL and DB's...two pretty deep position groups (though they certainly need to accumulate experience). I'd like to see Morrison be a leader among the LB's. We'll have to see how that develops. I'm optimistic about this whole unit and anticipating them being good statistically, but even better in terms of efficiency with what looks to be a better plan with more playmakers on the other side of the ball.

*Not surprised to hear the vote being sort of split on Driskel. I'd say he was more efficient than spectacular by far, but as has been noted, some of that was probably by design. I thought he had a nice deep hook up with Dunbar (I think), but the ball was loose after the receiver hit the ground. Still, he managed the offense and took what EM gave him. Had a nice escape from what looked like a sure sack. He'll likely always have his detractors until he lights things up, or at least doesn't make some of the mistakes of the past that dwell among many minds.

*Treon Harris certainly looked good in his stint. Kind of creates an interesting situation with him and Grier. Might have put the Carolina kid inthe backseat for a while, but who knows what will happen in terms of injuries, opportunities that are taken advantage of, etc.? Harris had two nice deep balls and that was nice to see, even in a mop up.

*Hated that Humphries went down for a couple of weeks, but Sharpe looks like he might be able to play a little. Tyler Moore was a little scary at times, but overall, the line under Summers looked a whole lot better than what we saw from the group under Davis' leadership. They've got to stay healthy and grow with the experience gained like another group.

*Hate it for McGee, but how about Clay Burton, "Mr. Possession Receiver!" I'll take that production over what we had last year.

Feel free to add and excuse me if I seem really happy, but that kind of start was a little tonic for what has been a pretty miserable off-season! Go Gators!

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Reading your stuff makes me feel a calmer and better man, somehow. Thanks cover2 and keep it coming!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Burton couldn't catch a cold last year. Worst hands since the Venus De Milo. Dude went 7 catches on 7 targets Saturday. He didn't drop a ball thrown at him all day! After the (well deserved) beatings he has gotten from Gator fans in years past, it is nice to see him have a great game. Yes, I know those catches were on short throws, but last year he drops 4 of those. Hands of pure wood. This year, so far, much better.

Alex.

Swampy

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great stuff and spot on as always Cover. Really agree about Clay Burton. He caught everything that was thrown at him and his number was called quite a bit. Was rewatching the game yesterday and noticed 3-4 straight balls were thrown his way in the 3rd Quarter (I think).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wish Swampy would post more.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
"Hate it for McGee, but how about Clay Burton, "Mr. Possession Receiver"

Always good analysis Cover... Burton led the team in receptions...:bananadance:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We don't even need Clay to be a big playmaker, just a nice emergency valve if Driskel needs it. 2nd & 4 after a dump off to the TE is much better than 2nd & 10 after an incompletion or 2nd & 18 after a sack.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Go back to sea world!!

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
QUOTE="cover2"]

*We've got a great stable of backs and I thought the ball got distributed pretty well on Saturday. From a couple of the comments I read, there may be a lilttle worry with Matt Jones getting the starting nod over Kelvin Taylor. Both got their touches and scores and even Mack Brown had some good runs. It's a long season and the backs usually will have some injury issues throughout, so the depth should pay off as we get deeper into the schedule. My favorite back is the one that's carrying the ball. It's good that we have four we know that can make something happen. We'll probably need them all before the season concludes.

[/QUOTE]

One thing I think we will see a lot of this year is Taylor and Jones on the field at the same time. One is a better rb and the other is a better pass catcher. With McGee going down Jones is gonna be in that "B" position a lot this year I think.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We will know more after the KY game. They aren't that good but at least give you a little bit of an idea where you might be at unlike EM.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
We will know more after the KY game. They aren't that good but at least give you a little bit of an idea where you might be at unlike EM.
:deadhorse:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n45885 said:
We don't even need Clay to be a big playmaker, just a nice emergency valve if Driskel needs it. 2nd & 4 after a dump off to the TE is much better than 2nd & 10 after an incompletion or 2nd & 18 after a sack.
yep it would have been nice to have a true playmaker like McGee probably would have been but if he can just play like he did that will be huge.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
C2, good stuff.

What did you think of that first drive? It made me a little uneasy: 3 missed 3rd down conversions...ate up a bunch of clock....dink & dunk (really reminded me of Pease's O)....and ended in a FG. Then after that the scores came quickly (long runs). I was more concerned about "sustained drives". But, it ended well...and they looked pretty damn good!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I saw things in this offense I have seen since Mullen. AmIright Amiright

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Don't ya think film study with coaches (& teammates) will cause Tyler Murphy enough shame to work out better ?
That was against EMU-calibre players.

Think increased # of tight catches thanks for a QB (JD) who rifles it swiftly into the breadbasket. ??

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Every time Cover 2 puts up a post like this, it feels like everything is complete for the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.