Just a question fellow Gators

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
How long would Doug Dickey have lasted if they had the internet and smart phones back in 75?
Any one else beside me remember freezing in the rain watching Maryland beat us in the Gatorbowl that year? Man did I have a cold.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Iremember freezing at Fla field for the Tangerine Bowl moved there against Miami of Ohio.
Ron Zook played for that team. Dickey came close a few times. Was a UF grad. Won SEC title at Tennessee. But the players wanted Gene Ellenson.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
How long would Doug Dickey have lasted if they had the internet and smart phones back in 75?
Any one else beside me remember freezing in the rain watching Maryland beat us in the Gatorbowl that year? Man did I have a cold.
Holy ****!! I was THERE, a junior at UF (so I date myself). One of the most miserable UF games I have ever sat through. Appleby to Washington (UGA) earlier in the same stadium wasn't cold, but was damp and, after losing 10-7, just as miserable. Gators missed a perfect regular season that year by just FOUR points, the three to UGA and an 8-7 one point loss to Lou Holtz coached NC State in Raleigh, second game of the season.
And yes, Dickey would probably have been fired sooner than the end of the 1978 season if everyone had access to the Internet then (I say "if everyone had access" because as I taught my freshman IT class this morning, it DID exist, founded by the Dept of Defense in 1969 at four universities).

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Iremember freezing at Fla field for the Tangerine Bowl moved there against Miami of Ohio.

I was at that game too. I got to go because my mom didn't want to go. It was too cold she said. She was right, but I didn't care. I got to go see my Gators play. We lost, and that sucked, but I was still a happy boy.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coldest Gator game I ever attended was the Gator Bowl against Iowa sometime around 1984. I think it was 9 degrees. Coldest game I ever went to was Navy/Army at the Meadowlands, I believe it was 1997. Couldn't have been much above 0. I was bundled up pretty good but if you've never really lived where it gets cold it's hard to realize how important it is to have warm footwear.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Then what is Mac? The ass?
The hair on the spot on the wing on the fly on the wart on the frog on the bump on the log in the hole at the bottom of the sea. There's a hole, there's a hole, there's a hole in the bottom of the sea.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I suspect he would not have lasted quite as long in this era. Still he was seemingly building UF towards its first SEC title until 4th and dumb. So possibly in this era he still gets 70 to 75, but only gets a year or two after that to break through. So overall maybe he gets fired a year earlier than he did or maybe he gets fired at the end of his third season and never gets to call fourth and dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.