Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:ohboy:

SGAGator

Jun 6, 2016
UGA has offered Fields sister a softball scholly from what I hear, she graduates 2019; he redshirts they get to graduate together.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So freaking what? If he's going to bolt if/when Mullen adds another QB (which he will), then GTFO. I think he's one of these kids that would throw a tantrum and run if there was any hint of competition. Hell, he's already been hedging because Mullen visited Fields.

Welcome to recruiting. THAT’S HOW RECRUITING WORKS.

If you go after virtually any elite signal caller you’re not going to get them by saying that. When recruiting you must CONVINCE them to come. Just like Urban Meyer did. And then like Meyer did, you must de-recruit them once they get on campus.

I think that’s what Meyer called it. De-recruiting.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
2006 offense was not good. We played 9 conference games that year and managed 30 points exactly once. Part of that was due to having such a horrible kicker, but the offense was pretty bad. Hell, even in the Arkansas game, we recovered a muffed punt for a score and set up another one with a blocked punt inside the red zone. It wasn’t until OSU’s zone defense and lack of pass rush that the offense took off.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome to recruiting. THAT’S HOW RECRUITING WORKS.

If you go after virtually any elite signal caller you’re not going to get them by saying that. When recruiting you must CONVINCE them to come. Just like Urban Meyer did. And then like Meyer did, you must de-recruit them once they get on campus.

I think that’s what Meyer called it. De-recruiting.
Sorry but we need QBs, and lots of them. We have only 1 on the roster who has any possibility of working out (and a slim one) and the one guy committed also doesn't have the skillset we need for this coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2006 offense was not good. We played 9 conference games that year and managed 30 points exactly once. Part of that was due to having such a horrible kicker, but the offense was pretty bad. Hell, even in the Arkansas game, we recovered a muffed punt for a score and set up another one with a blocked punt inside the red zone. It wasn’t until OSU’s zone defense and lack of pass rush that the offense took off.
And we let Leak pass instead of run the option.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but we need QBs, and lots of them. We have only 1 on the roster who has any possibility of working out (and a slim one) and the one guy committed also doesn't have the skillset we need for this coach.

Im not saying to not recruit additional QBs. I’m saying to do it carefully. Not to tell him to GTFO. This idea that he’s not an elite QB is insane. We are in no position to run off elite QBs.

This flirtation with Fields should be (which I’m sure it is) done carefully. Can you imagine running off Corral and NOT getting Fields.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Im not saying to not recruit additional QBs. I’m saying to do it carefully. Not to tell him to GTFO. This idea that he’s not an elite QB is insane. We are in no position to run off elite QBs.

This flirtation with Fields should be (which I’m sure it is) done carefully. Can you imagine running off Corral and NOT getting Fields.
But what would that say about Corral if he bolted just because we were trying to recruit Fields?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

It wasn't as bad as some claim. It ended up 19th in FBS in total offense per game and 23rd in scoring per game. I think 2007 was about the time offenses really took off in FBS

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
But what would that say about Corral if he bolted just because we were trying to recruit Fields?
It says, "Hey, I was the one who has been loyal to you from the jump. I'm the one who was there building you up and helping you recruit. I was the one who, despite your atrociousness on the field, was still positive and trying to keep the recruiting it class together. I was the one who even stuck by you when the coach was fired. It's like I was the guy who held your hair when you were puking in the toilet on our date but at the first chance you try to win back the guy who chose your worst enemy to go to the prom with. I'm a bit hurt and more than a little pissed."

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Who gets an elite QB And then tries to recruit another elite quarterback in the same cycle? QBs are egotistical. That’s virtually a requirement for that position. You don’t see that happen in either recruiting on the collegiate level or in the NFL.

And that is not specific to QB only. We see this with elite running backs as well.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The reality is this has suddenly become a decidedly different Florida team in terms of offensive philosophy from the one Corral committed to. We know it, he knows, everyone knows it, which is why he paid a visit to Bama and why we're out talking to dual-threat recruits. Both sides feel it's in their best interest moving forward.

Commitment and loyalty still matter, but winning matters even more. We need the best dual-threat QB we can find -- now.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It wasn't as bad as some claim. It ended up 19th in FBS in total offense per game and 23rd in scoring per game. I think 2007 was about the time offenses really took off in FBS
We scored 62 on Western Carolina and 42 on UCF to pad the numbers.

SEC and FSU scoring numbers: 21, 26, 28, 23, 17, 21, 25, 17, 21, 38. Off the top of my head, there were at least three defensive/special teams touchdowns in there. That's not a good offense.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Absolutely. We were frustrated. That defense was pretty darn good though.

Edit: Didn't Leak slide short of 1st downs a couple times that year?
It wasn't that he was short, he always seemed to be just inches short. Had to keep telling myself "He can't see the yellow line."

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It says, "Hey, I was the one who has been loyal to you from the jump. I'm the one who was there building you up and helping you recruit. I was the one who, despite your atrociousness on the field, was still positive and trying to keep the recruiting it class together. I was the one who even stuck by you when the coach was fired. It's like I was the guy who held your hair when you were puking in the toilet on our date but at the first chance you try to win back the guy who chose your worst enemy to go to the prom with. I'm a bit hurt and more than a little pissed."

Exactly. This has a Mike Davis/Keith Marshall feel to it. You can’t solve all your problems at once. If Corral is sticking and recruiting for us, you don’t brazenly go looking for another QB that’s solidly entrenched with a trending team just because he fits your scheme better. As was said, any recruiting there should be done very quietly. Ending up with neither would be a disaster, and I’m not sure Mullen couldn’t tweak things for him the way he did in the NC game with Leak. We keep going back to ‘05 and ‘06 which was his first 2 years as an OC. I’m sure he’s learned enough to know how to handle this.

I’d rather us take the QB who we know wants to be a Gator and start focusing on landing the ‘19 version of Fields.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Who gets an elite QB And then tries to recruit another elite quarterback in the same cycle? QBs are egotistical. That’s virtually a requirement for that position. You don’t see that happen in either recruiting on the collegiate level or in the NFL.

And that is not specific to QB only. We see this with elite running backs as well.

So, what if our staff goes all in on Corral and they stop recruiting other QBs only to have Corral decommit at the last minute and they land zero QBs. No. We must recruit as many as we can at all positions. If one QB is scared of competition then we didnt want him anyhow. It would be as dumb as telling an existing QB who is suspended for a year that he is guaranteed the starting spot a year later.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We snuck up on everyone in 2006 because of defense and special teams. We managed occasionally good offensive numbers mainly because we had overwhelming superior talent and because we suddenly had a two-headed quarterback that could do either.

The explosion in Glendale was as stunning for what it revealed what was in store for Florida as it was the wipeout of a heavily favored Ohio State team.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, what if our staff goes all in on Corral and they stop recruiting other QBs only to have Corral decommit at the last minute and they land zero QBs. No. We must recruit as many as we can at all positions. If one QB is scared of competition then we didnt want him anyhow. It would be as dumb as telling an existing QB who is suspended for a year that he is guaranteed the starting spot a year later.

I didn’t say to not recruit any QBs. For sure, we need some spread style QBs. But this idea of going all in on Fields when we have a another elite signal QB and basically telling him to suck it up or GTFO is ridiculous.

And by the way, I don’t think the staff is doing that. They’ve already gone up and visited corral. And I think they are handling this delicately. I’m sure that they are telling him that we don’t have any QBs on the roster at all for him to even compete against. And that iron sharpens iron (Meyer-ism).

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Regardless of whether we pursue Fields or not, he is dumb IMO for sticking with UGA. That kid Fromm is the real deal and Eason is a more than capable backup and would be starting on most teams. If Fields goes there he isn't gonna play for 2 years at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.