Status
Not open for further replies.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
But if you are a white 'legend' even 40+ years ago you get fired. Keith Jackson was a royal POS for trying to cover for Hayes here by not stating the obvious.....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not a good look for Howard and certainly not when you take into account yesterday’s incident makes two bench-clearing brawls that he’s initiated over the past year. The other was against Maryland.

As if it wasn’t already bad enough, Howard, who towers over the older Gard, tried defending his actions by claiming he was protecting himself from the Wisconsin coach. Huh?

The Detroit News has called for Howard’s firing.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not a good look for Howard and certainly not when you take into account yesterday’s incident makes two bench-clearing brawls that he’s initiated over the past year. The other was against Maryland.

As if it wasn’t already bad enough, Howard, who towers over the older Gard, tried defending his actions by claiming he was protecting himself from the Wisconsin coach. Huh?

The Detroit News has called for Howard’s firing.

I won’t believe it until it happens.
I would like to be wrong on this since it would renew some sense of normalcy to college sports, if that makes any sense.
It would nice to see a person dealt with appropriately solely for their actions for a change.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I really don't see race in this one as much as you fellers seem to. If Michigan canned Howard, they would likely replace him with a "person of color" anyway. To me, this all comes down to how much UM likes and wants Howard. If they think he's got a long-term future, they'll suspend him and give him a slap on the wrist. If they don't, he's gone. They now have a perfect excuse to get rid of him, and even avoid paying him.

We'll find out what they think of him in the coming days.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I really don't see race in this one as much as you fellers seem to. If Michigan canned Howard, they would likely replace him with a "person of color" anyway. To me, this all comes down to how much UM likes and wants Howard. If they think he's got a long-term future, they'll suspend him and give him a slap on the wrist. If they don't, he's gone. They now have a perfect excuse to get rid of him, and even avoid paying him.

Yeah, has nothing to go with race. It has everything to do with character.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

“Fellers?”
Really?

If we are too quick to see race in things it’s because we have been taught to during the last decade.

“Fellers?”

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I do.

It suggests a lack of intelligence which is not appropriate when having a simple philosophical difference (philosophical is a pretty big word for a feller).
I thought Donk was banned from this site.
If this is a serious post I may give you a vacation. It's that dumb.

I used the word "fellers" because I thought it was amusing and fit with the conversation. Wasn't expecting it to trigger someone.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For as long as I’ve been around sports, there’s been an unwritten code of conduct surrounding the final few minutes of a game that’s gotten out of hand. You don’t try and show up the other team.

Wisconsin’s Gard did it twice, the final time with a few ticks left. I’m not clear what his thinking was, but it was Bush. I can understand Howard, who’s generally regarded as one of the good guys of the game, for getting upset. That upset? Can’t do that.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
For as long as I’ve been around sports, there’s been an unwritten code of conduct surrounding the final few minutes of a game that’s gotten out of hand. You don’t try and show up the other team.

Wisconsin’s Gard did it twice, the final time with a few ticks left. I’m not clear what his thinking was, but it was Bush. I can understand Howard, who’s generally regarded as one of the good guys of the game, for getting upset. That upset? Can’t do that.
Gard explained his rationale for the timeouts, particularly the one with 15 seconds left, in a postgame interview with CBS.

"Apparently he didn't like that I called the timeout to reset the 10-second call. Because we only had four seconds to get the ball over half court," Gard told CBS. "I didn't want to put my backups -- I had all my bench guys in the game -- I didn't want to put them in that position of scrambling with only four seconds. So I took a timeout and got us a new 10 seconds and it helped them get organized and get the ball in. And he did not like that when he came through the handshake line. I'll leave it at that and the tape will show the rest."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, now we know Gard’s anal retentive.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well, now we know Gard’s anal retentive.
Do I personally think he called those timeouts for the purpose of "showing up" Michigan? No. It's the stupid "running up the score" argument that has been had in sports for countless decades. So much unnecessary butthurt from insecure coaches. Take your beating and move on. Try and get them back next time.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I used the word "fellers" because I thought it was amusing and fit with the conversation. Wasn't expecting it to trigger someone.
QuestionableMilkyAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I was serious.

How exactly does a derogatory term fit with an honest discussion about the state of sports in America today?

I noticed that you have softened your stance on this issue now that it appears that he won’t be fired.
It appears that this playing out just as the fellers predicted.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do I personally think he called those timeouts for the purpose of "showing up" Michigan? No. It's the stupid "running up the score" argument that has been had in sports for countless decades. So much unnecessary butthurt from insecure coaches. Take your beating and move on. Try and get them back next time.

I’ve been around a lot of athletes and coaches right after a loss. Emotions can run high depending on the personalities involved. People say and do things in the moment that they wouldn’t do even 10 minutes later. It is what it is.

Gard is a meticulous game manager. Worried about getting the ball over the center stripe in four seconds? Overkill. He could have welcomed the experience for his scrubs. The Badgers weren’t going to lose the game.

I think the season is wearing on Howard. This team hasn’t played well and certainly not compared to a year ago. I don’t think he was at risk of being fired before this happened. I doubt he is now. He’s a beloved former Wolverine. He’ll survive this with his tail between his legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.