Gator Basketball Keyontae Johnson collapses on court; released from hospital

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This situation really makes me emotional. I pray he will be fine in the future, I don't care if he ever plays for us again, his life is at stake here.

Now if the team wanted to continue that I am fine with, if the coach gave them orders that I don't like at all. As I understand it the team basically decided, could be wrong.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This situation really makes me emotional. I pray he will be fine in the future, I don't care if he ever plays for us again, his life is at stake here.

Now if the team wanted to continue that I am fine with, if the coach gave them orders that I don't like at all. As I understand it the team basically decided, could be wrong.

It’s really awful. Heartbreaking.

With regard to playing on, all they knew at the moment was that he was down and it looked serious, but he was also alive and getting immediate treatment. No one except the medical team working on him would know anything for some time. We - the public - still don’t.

In such moments of grief I think about what the deceased, or in this case the crisis victim, would say if he could. My guess is, “Play on.” There wasn’t anything any of them could do beyond prayer, which they did. I don’t see how anyone would regard the game as meaningful except as honoring Johnson. Under those circumstances it was an exercise of character which they accomplished with great heart.

There will be time to grieve, time to respond. Tragedy is a hard fact of life and when it strikes, those who can must play on.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Saturday was a tough Day to be a Gator. When I found out I was in a funk all day. I just hope he's OK and is able to carry on healthy. Maybe he won't play again, but I hope we see him at least on the bench again cheering on his team.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Thanks for finding this. Come on KJ! We're pulling for you, but damn this is tough.

Yes it is tough since I consider all the players as family. All the students as well. But it is way harder on his friends and team and even worse for his family. Regulations would prohibit release of details as well. When we next see him that will tell us a lot.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Not able to see the tweet. Can you fill us in?
Someone reposted on twitter an IG post from KJ's sister. She said the family is struggling due to the unknown. From there, it is speculation. Since we have heard nothing but the same critical but stable info, many take that as a bad sign. I think White and the AAD are still there which, again, is a bad sign. I hope I am wrong.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Hope for the best and expect the worst. No news is bad news. I don't expect to ever see him suit up for us or for anyone ever again, and I'm not even worried about that after what I saw, just hope he lives through it without extensive brain damage. My personal experiences make me very pessimistic about the situation.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The fact he is still stuck in that Tallacrappy hospital and hasn't been flown to Shands yet is not good.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Someone reposted on twitter an IG post from KJ's sister. She said the family is struggling due to the unknown. From there, it is speculation. Since we have heard nothing but the same critical but stable info, many take that as a bad sign. I think White and the AAD are still there which, again, is a bad sign. I hope I am wrong.

Ah okay, I saw that yesterday. Man this sucks so so bad.

Deathroll

Dec 28, 2014
The fact he is still stuck in that Tallacrappy hospital and hasn't been flown to Shands yet is not good.

Just saw an article (Gville Sun) indicating he is in a medically induced coma and has been moved to Shands. Interesting quote from his grandfather referring to brain activity which I'm not sure how to read.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Would you be placed in a coma over a heart condition or does that narrow it down to a brain problem?

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Just saw an article (Gville Sun) indicating he is in a medically induced coma and has been moved to Shands. Interesting quote from his grandfather referring to brain activity which I'm not sure how to read.

Glad he's at Shands, but damn.

Article says they hope to bring him out of the coma this afternoon. This ain't good.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Would you be placed in a coma over a heart condition or does that narrow it down to a brain problem?
Could have had a heart attack and not had access to oxygen for a while. Who knows. This is scary.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Could just be for transport reasons. Dont want him waking up in an ambulance while being transported. But if they are keeping him in it.... I dont know

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator