Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Gatormb

Jul 26, 2018
I would sure as hell hope that a pilot, pressured or not, wouldn't fly in conditions that he knows could get him and everyone else on board killed. I would hope a pilot would be smarter than that. We're talking life and death here.

Sheriff's Department kept their copters grounded.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Is it really that his life is considered so much more important or that our culture values celebrities over say firefighters, or is it just that people are more familiar with individual celebrities and their lives and the familiarity breeds fondness. I mean, we could all watch firefighters on tv and get to know them all individually so that we’re more affected by their deaths, but that seems like a lot of effort.

I would guess that anyone who personally knew the other victims or even knew of them in some way feel just as bad for them as they do Kobe. No doubt in my mind. But the general public only knew or knew of Kobe. Thus the difference in publicity.
I know very very little about Kobe but I did know he cherished his kids. My guess he asked: “Can we go or should my driver pull up the Bentley?” Who really knows?

There will be massive settlements fo sure.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kobe’s life isn’t more important than anyone else’s. That should be evident. So the question is, why is there so much grieving over his passing? As if his life was anymore important than the people who sacrifice themselves daily for our freedom or safety.

It really isn’t. It’s how we perceive it.

It has everything to do with fame, and a little to do with our advancing age. We don’t know these people, at least in most circumstances, and yet we feel very connected. Why is that? Because by way of the media they become a part of our everyday life. Day after day, week after week, etc. We subconsciously come to think of them as someone we “know” when it couldn’t be further from the truth.

In the case of Kobe, he made people feel better about themselves for various reasons. Maybe you were a Lakers fan. Maybe you just enjoyed his game. Maybe it was the work with kids he did after his retirement. Fame magnified the projection.

And then there’s the simple truth. We came to know him more than 720 months ago. Clinton was president, UF was winning its first football title and Friends was still a top-rated TV show. A lot has changed, us included. We’ve aged. We look back. We remember.

Kobe Bryant wasn’t a saint. He was a gifted athlete who remained in the spotlight for over two decades. He’s dead. We remember him for a lot of things, including those he had no control over.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes yes yes. The only way for celebrities to save the planet is to fly a Sikorsky.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes yes yes. The only way for celebrities to save the planet is to fly a Sikorsky.

He made his millions through capitalism. Not good?

fe7e15011841de866c2dfa8d9ba4d6c7.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lately, 78 seems to suck any cawk that wanders by. It is embarrassing but at least he attacks with exhuberance.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I have no idea but, couldn't a copter of that size fly above the fog/clouds and descend on their destination when they get an clear opening. Weaving through the valleys in those conditions almost seems like a suicide mission.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
I have no idea but, couldn't a copter of that size fly above the fog/clouds and descend on their destination when they get an clear opening. Weaving through the valleys in those conditions almost seems like a suicide mission.

Especially since that help had autopilot and it wasn't engaged

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wiki says 13,000 feet but that is controlled space no doubt.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

According to this article, yes he could (and should) have gone up instead of down to avoid the fog. Regarding the suicide mission, the guy was traveling at 161 knots and hit the mountainside full speed, so it does make you wonder.

Kobe Bryant Helicopter Pilot Misjudged Terrain and Didn't Slow Down, Pilots Say

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Truly a very tragic accident. I'm even more upset that Kobe's daughter died than him dying because he's an all-time great and Gianna was only 13 years old.

it was so frustrating trying to get information on this tragedy for an hour or so. I thought it was five people killed and that perhaps his daughter was not on the helicopter with Kobe. But she was and so were seven other people. 9 dead in total. Sad.

2020 has such a beautiful ring to it. But not so far to me My father passed away on January 15th he battled cancer for two years and his body broke down. Then this with Kobe and his daughter and seven other people yesterday in the fog in southern California is too horrible to believe. But it's true. Rest in peace to all 9. Thoughts and prayers go out to their loved ones.

I can't wait for January to be over.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2020 has such a beautiful ring to it. But not so far to me My father passed away on January 15th he battled cancer for two years and his body broke down. .
Sorry, Scott. I know this must be terrible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator