Kyle Trask to start against Kentucky?

How would you grade the Gators in Week 2?

• A

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • B

Votes: 88 63.3%
  • C

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
He was fine today. Completed what he was asked, for the most part. Last week, outside the two INTs, he wasn’t bad. And even that first INT happens to every QB. Second was atrocious but those happen with him.

My point is... He’s not a good enough runner to really make the offense hum or cover OL deficiencies. He completes the passes he’s supposed to, mostly, and had improved in the TO department. This offense just isn’t a great fit for him.

Almost entire oline is replaced. It is a miracle they aren't worse. They hopefully will get better from here.

In this train of thought, I’m wondering if tua or hurts could have done much better today. Seriously, we have issues, and we have the qbs we have. I think our team didn’t alright with what they were asked to do, but it won’t be enough against real sec teams.

Personally, I think Mullen hates all three of our QB's. If you can't/won't open up the passing game for a FCS opponent it is an extremely bad sign.

Aside from ‘not making game film for our competition’, there Ian the fact that we can, should, and didn’t win handily with a pedestrians offense. An opportunity to work on the basics that we are still trying to get a handle on despite being something the fans take for granted but the players (ok especially) need to work on. As many of prescribed before the game - vanilla offense, build confidence limit mistakes, start building the running game. We did that....except the last bit.

That was one stout piece of grass, though. Grounds crew is looking into it.

High 4* grass from Florida. Would have been a 5* until committing to UF

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Who gives a ****? IT WAS 5 YARD PASSES AGAINST A FCS TEAM. 100+ QB's starting in college football right now could have had an as good or better game.

Considering the opponent, it was an embarrassing offensive performance.
Yeah, Shane Matthews never completed 93 per cent, nor Rex Grossman, nor Steve Spurrier, nor Danny Wuerfel, nor even Tim Tebow, but, of course, none of those quarterbacks ever played a cupcake.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, Shane Matthews never completed 93 per cent, nor Rex Grossman, nor Steve Spurrier, nor Danny Wuerfel, nor even Tim Tebow, but, of course, none of those quarterbacks ever played a cupcake.
This is the dumbest post in the history of message boards.

None of those guys attempted 20 two-yard passes in a row. They believed in actually trying to move the chains.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
This is the dumbest post in the history of message boards.

None of those guys attempted 20 two-yard passes in a row. They believed in actually trying to move the chains.
Yeah, ain't it amazing! He completed 25 of 27 of those two yard passes for 270 yards, exactly 10 yards per attempt. What is particularly surprising is that on so many of those two yard passes the receiver was hit as soon as he touched the ball.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, ain't it amazing! He completed 25 of 27 of those two yard passes for 270 yards, exactly 10 yards per attempt. What is particularly surprising is that on so many of those two yard passes the receiver was hit as soon as he touched the ball.
What's even more amazing is that at least none of those UT Martin defenders has an NFL future in front of them.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
93% doesn't matter if you only throw beyond 10 yards 5-6 times. He only went deep when the wr was wide open.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
You do know that yards gained after the catch count for the qb too!

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I also wanted to add to my previous post here we should be prepared and unsurprised that we will see A LOT of the three QB's all season long. Mullen is going to have to utilize what he perceives is their strengths as a composite for one QB. That takes REAL coaching, whereas McElwain and MusChimp were incapable of doing. Mullen's got to get him a couple of freshman QB's. Now. And I don't mean graduate one year wonders or juco's. He's got to get someone HE can mold.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
What's even more amazing is that at least none of those UT Martin defenders has an NFL future in front of them.
  1. Toss in Chris Leak and you have six QBs starting 15 or 20 YEARS of games without that kind of completion record. That's thirty to forty cupcakes faced by elite Gator QBs without hitting the record FF just set. So how many of those cupcakes had future NFLers playing corner back?
  2. Do I think FF is a great QB, or even had a great game? No. But Ox et al are way over the top with this bashing. Wait a game or two and you can bash on a more reasonable foundation.
  3. My greatest concerns from yesterday are that he seems to have forgotten how to run and he didn't hit the receivers in stride, limiting their yac.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
  1. Toss in Chris Leak and you have six QBs starting 15 or 20 YEARS of games without that kind of completion record. That's thirty to forty cupcakes faced by elite Gator QBs without hitting the record FF just set. So how many of those cupcakes had future NFLers playing corner back?
  2. Do I think FF is a great QB, or even had a great game? No. But Ox et al are way over the top with this bashing. Wait a game or two and you can bash on a more reasonable foundation.
  3. My greatest concerns from yesterday are that he seems to have forgotten how to run and he didn't hit the receivers in stride, limiting their yac.
Ancient, a toss of three to five yards in the air, overhanded or underhanded, is hardly the kind of stuff that stops the presses.

Now, when I take a crumpled up piece of paper and nail the garbage can from across the office, that deserves recognition.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I also wanted to add to my previous post here we should be prepared and unsurprised that we will see A LOT of the three QB's all season long. Mullen is going to have to utilize what he perceives is their strengths as a composite for one QB. That takes REAL coaching, whereas McElwain and MusChimp were incapable of doing. Mullen's got to get him a couple of freshman QB's. Now. And I don't mean graduate one year wonders or juco's. He's got to get someone HE can mold.

Although I believe we should have a package for EJ in every game....I doubt we will. And I really doubt DM will ever go to all 3 except maybe game 5. He is all in on Franks it appears. If FF goes down he will go to Trask as the starter and then we would see more of EJ until he eventually takes over.

I just don’t think DM will be too quick to play the backup QB’s often. I prefer he did so they are game ready

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
So our defense allowing long drives by a FCS team is okay? How far into a corner are you going to paint yourself in with these excuses?

UF should have played far better against a FCS team, it's okay to say it. Lightning will not strike you.

Seems the cupcakes have either surprised or scared the living crap out of a lot more Div 1 teams this year than ever before. Visit the Vol Nation, Warchant, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska forums, etc. They are all melting down. Never seen it this bad. We are 2-0... much rather be a Gator so far.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
There isn't a single doubt in my mind, NOT ONE, that Trask would have a better game than Franks if they both played a full game against the same opponent. Trask is a better passer than Franks, period. Neither one of them run well enough to be a fit in this offense....period. I was willing to see if Franks took a step forward on the field this year but so far it's painfully obvious he has not. Teams will be selling out to stop the run all season, and I don't blame them.

Part of me would rather just put Emory Jones in there and let him make mistakes and take our lumps and be ready to go next season.

That's an impossible scenario since Trask couldn't make through an entire game injury free.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Although I believe we should have a package for EJ in every game....I doubt we will. And I really doubt DM will ever go to all 3 except maybe game 5. He is all in on Franks it appears. If FF goes down he will go to Trask as the starter and then we would see more of EJ until he eventually takes over.

I just don’t think DM will be too quick to play the backup QB’s often. I prefer he did so they are game ready

Yeah, right. Watch what happens when we get 10+ points down....

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
This is my 30th year watching Gator football. NEVER, until now, have I been concerned about losing to Kentucky, even without their QB. It's a strange and awful feeling, but watching Franks stirs up feelings like that all the time.

It's probably a good sign that you're worried, because when you're usually confident as hell, we end up laying an egg.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Yeah, right. Watch what happens when we get 10+ points down....

We’ll see. Both Trask and EJ have another year of development behind them so possibly more confidence in them. It remains to be seen. I don’t see a 3 QB circus at all though. Just doesn’t appear to be DM’s style. He’s no SOS in more ways than one. Someone will settle in as #2 and get those snaps.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
After reading through this whole thread, @oxrageous I have to ask you something. For your podcast this week are you going to be:
A) Even keel Aaron
B) Mad as hell Ox
C) Not doing a podcast; UT-Martin is not worthy of your pontificating
D) Ham Sammich

Asking for a friend.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We got individual players that have their own individual problems
OL with no pop. ..... RBs hesitating to plant that foot and go.
The drive of the whole team-body seems laxlazy.
Mullen seems toned down from the excited way he was last year? (Maybe they haven't given him enuf camera time for me to notice?)
Basically, IDK, We don't know what's missing. Will this team gel in time?
Toney was our best weapon .... but he did dance much. So can Copeland take over with a more determined north-south direction?
Is Perrine breaking tackles like he did last year?
Franks won't satisfy us until he can make quick-scan reads and surgically carve up the defense. Then watch all gators shape up.
Our defense can be dominant. They haven't caused any errant throws for INTs enuf.?
Looks like all we can expect from this team is to plod-play themselves into loftier prowess .... by thumping teams of better ranking,
It's very hard to wait and not get grumpy for having to wait.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
What an iditioc thread. Franks is far from ideal but the kid just played a great game. I guess everyone missed those downfield dimes where the WRs didnt have to miss a step

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
What an iditioc thread. Franks is far from ideal but the kid just played a great game. I guess everyone missed those downfield dimes where the WRs didnt have to miss a step
Downfield Dimes don't count when preceded by 2-5 yd Dinks n Dunks. Jeez, Don't you know Anything at all about Football? Are you Australian?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.