Lacedrick Brunson Next Gator Great?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
They sat around him so he could cheat off any of them. He tried to miss some and got a 23. His score was flagged and he had to retake. Same group of kids signed up again and he just missed more on purpose and got an 18 or 19.

Point of the story is that fellow students took it upon themselves to help him in lack of parental guidance. How can a high level sports academy not have the competence of high schoolers?

I think your idea of parental guidance might be a little off. Also, I'm not sure that cheating and competence should be grouped together. Those kids are not doing him any favors. SMH

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's talk about last year a second. How does a sports academy, whose sole purpose is to get athletes to the next level, not have their kids academically qualified? It's not like you can blame their crackhead mom or non existent dad, who provide zero guidance. These kids literally have staffers that are supposed to help them. What does that say about a sports academy who can't qualify their kids.

This happened at my high school. Kid was being recruited by several schools and was holding out for a UF offer that never came. Ended up committing to another SEC school. Problem is he was a fricking rock. I think his first ACT was like a 10 give or take. Yes it may have been a 9. Took it twice more and couldn't get past 13, and I think he needed a 17. So who helps him, a group of students. They signed up to take the ACT again even though they already got the scores they needed. They sat around him so he could cheat off any of them. He tried to miss some and got a 23. His score was flagged and he had to retake. Same group of kids signed up again and he just missed more on purpose and got an 18 or 19.

Point of the story is that fellow students took it upon themselves to help him in lack of parental guidance. How can a high level sports academy not have the competence of high schoolers?

What does it matter? If they can't qualify and they come to UF they more than likely will fail out anyway.

Remember 5 star DT John Brown? To my understanding he couldn't even read. I think he had a learning disability, but still. Sat here for two years and rotted away on the bench because he couldn't fulfill academics.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law says in his post above 2002.

2 stars. Mac loves him some 2 stars.

We would have been 2 star U if it didn't change from the 2015 class. Many of the defensive guys were 2 stars.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What does it matter? If they can't qualify and they come to UF they more than likely will fail out anyway.

Remember 5 star DT John Brown? To my understanding he couldn't even read. I think he had a learning disability, but still. Sat here for two years and rotted away on the bench because he couldn't fulfill academics.
That's one example. How many kids do we hear about flunking out of UF? Not many. Do you really think the kids are that smart coming in? Or that we tutor the hell out of them for Rec Sciences? Brown was likely lazier than he is stupid.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Let's talk about last year a second. How does a sports academy, whose sole purpose is to get athletes to the next level, not have their kids academically qualified? It's not like you can blame their crackhead mom or non existent dad, who provide zero guidance. These kids literally have staffers that are supposed to help them. What does that say about a sports academy who can't qualify their kids.

This happened at my high school. Kid was being recruited by several schools and was holding out for a UF offer that never came. Ended up committing to another SEC school. Problem is he was a fricking rock. I think his first ACT was like a 10 give or take. Yes it may have been a 9. Took it twice more and couldn't get past 13, and I think he needed a 17. So who helps him, a group of students. They signed up to take the ACT again even though they already got the scores they needed. They sat around him so he could cheat off any of them. He tried to miss some and got a 23. His score was flagged and he had to retake. Same group of kids signed up again and he just missed more on purpose and got an 18 or 19.

I laughed at a couple of your comments.

Yes, a kid from IMG should NEVER not qualify. Either way, though, that wasn't really the point. The point was that we only had the IMG kid committed....our coaches had to know his grades were questionable....and should have had a Plan B ready (and didn't). So, not only does he makes us look bad by sticking it to us and flipping to FSU on signing day we didn't get a DT in the class at all (90% of the fans who saw that he flipped probably never knew that he didn't qualify and didn't end up at FSU anyway). Good recruiters/coaches should always have a Plan B. Remember how Alabama got our DB last year during the last week before signing day? Alabama also came after Voshean Joseph as a Plan B the last week before signing day. Where was our Plan B DT the last week before signing day??

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Going back as far as i can on Rivals (2002), it is hard to find any production out of the 2 stars we have signed. Again, kickers are pretty much it. I guess those two games Tyler Murphy played would be next. Wondy played some but he was terrible. Hard to call that production.

2002 Pat Kelly, McCollum twins, Bunce, Mackenzie Pierre (really a terrible class looking at it, transition year from Sos to Zook)
2003 Billy Griffin and Johnny Dingle
2004 Eric Rutledge
2005 none (exc Jonnathan Phillips)
2006 Wondy
2007 none
2008 Byran Jones (who?) (and Sturgis)
2009 none
2010 Tyler Murphy
2011 none
2012 none. (exc Hardin)
2013 none (exc Townsend )
2014 none
2015- Ancrum, Keyvonnis Davis, Rayshad Jackson
2016- Trash and Putu

Good info, Law. Thanks for doing the homework.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I laughed at a couple of your comments.

Yes, a kid from IMG should NEVER not qualify. Either way, though, that wasn't really the point. The point was that we only had the IMG kid committed....our coaches had to know his grades were questionable....and should have had a Plan B ready (and didn't). So, not only does he makes us look bad by sticking it to us and flipping to FSU on signing day we didn't get a DT in the class at all (90% of the fans who saw that he flipped probably never knew that he didn't qualify and didn't end up at FSU anyway). Good recruiters/coaches should always have a Plan B. Remember how Alabama got our DB last year during the last week before signing day? Alabama also came after Voshean Joseph as a Plan B the last week before signing day. Where was our Plan B DT the last week before signing day??
Well it wasn't meant to counter point your point. I agree with you 100%. We should of had at least 2 DTs with plan B's. It was just a vent about how pathetic IMG was in the whole process. There was also no real reason for our coaches to not know his academic standing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well it wasn't meant to counter point your point. I agree with you 100%. We should of had at least 2 DTs with plan B's. It was just a vent about how pathetic IMG was in the whole process. There was also no real reason for our coaches to not know his academic standing.

When I said "I laughed" I meant it was funny...it made me laugh (the comments about the crackhead, etc).

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When I said "I laughed" I meant it was funny...it made me laugh (the comments about the crackhead, etc).
No I gotcha, I had reread what I wrote and could see where maybe you thought I was defending the staff by knocking IMG, which was not the case. We're on the same page.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Going back as far as i can on Rivals (2002), it is hard to find any production out of the 2 stars we have signed. Again, kickers are pretty much it. I guess those two games Tyler Murphy played would be next. Wondy played some but he was terrible. Hard to call that production.

2002 Pat Kelly, McCollum twins, Bunce, Mackenzie Pierre (really a terrible class looking at it, transition year from Sos to Zook)
2003 Billy Griffin and Johnny Dingle
2004 Eric Rutledge
2005 none (exc Jonnathan Phillips)
2006 Wondy
2007 none
2008 Byran Jones (who?) (and Sturgis)
2009 none
2010 Tyler Murphy
2011 none
2012 none. (exc Hardin)
2013 none (exc Townsend )
2014 none
2015- Ancrum, Keyvonnis Davis, Rayshad Jackson
2016- Trash and Putu
I'd like these 2-3* pumpers to go back and name even a 3* that had a consistent impact here in that same timespan besides, AMac, Davis or a ST guy.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Which is why he transferred to UToothless. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Back on point here, give me an Florida all state guy or a two time all Dade guy, and I am MUCH more likely to entertain the underrated/diamond in the rough tag.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I'd like these 2-3* pumpers to go back and name even a 3* that had a consistent impact here in that same timespan besides, AMac, Davis or a ST guy.

I'm not a 2-3* pumper, but the question intrigued me. It turns out that there are quite a few. I used Rivals so the Donkey won't lose his wig. LOL

I only looked at eight years and came up with this list: Dallas Baker, Ray McDonald, Reggie Lewis, Tony Joiner, Ronnie Wilson, Louis Murphy, Brandon James, David Young, Sam Robey, Kyle Koehne, Jon Halapio, Bryan Cox, Jarrad Davis and Cameron Dillard.

There may be others, these are just the ones I remember by name.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Hell...I hope he does because Franks will not be ready.

Franks looked lost a year ago in the spring game. However, that was a couple of weeks after he arrived on campus. He has had a full year of practices and learning since then.

Are you basing your opinion strictly on the few snaps he took a year ago in a scrimmage or do you have other information?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
1. The day after signing days these guys are all Gators, so I should be for them unless they are causing some kind of trouble for the program. The stars thing is ok before and on signing day, after that they are irrelevant.
:yes:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dallas Baker
Ray McDonald
Tate Casey
Tony Joiner
Louis Murphy
Lawrence Marsh
Brandon James
Tyler Murphy
Trey Burton
Alex McCalister
Bryan Cox
Jarad Davis
Deandre Goolsby
Taven Bryan
KylanJohnson
Jabari Zuniga
David Reese
Vosean Joseph

Numerous 3* OL and K/P that I did not include. Also a few skill players who were good but transferred. You can find depth and occasional playmakers at 3*, but it's not the % pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator