Less kids playing football

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I live in NE Louisiana, and it is happening at an alarming rate here. I help coach my son's 10 yr old team sponsored through the YMCA, and the league numbers are dropping drastically.
The problem at least here is baseball, particularly travel baseball played year round. Where every kid gets to be a star. Where teamwork and being a good teammate isn't very important. Where you don't have to relentlessly test your will for the entire game. Where Mommy and Daddy can find you a team where you can start and shine if you really suck, and if you are talented the organization will pay your way. It really sucks and I fear for the type of adults this will create. Getting off my soapbox now.

That ain't happening just in Louisiana brother. I've had 3 coaches come to me about my son (10 y.o). Pitcher in rec ball and pretty much dominates. I've had taking lessons from a former MLB pitcher who is just awesome and really teaches the game from a pitchers standpoint. I absolutely refuse to let him go to travel ball for those very reasons. He love baseball right now and I plan to keep it that way.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
For the longest time, I hoped to have a son and have him grow up to be a great football player. Now I'm not so sure I want that. The risk just isn't worth it. I've watched my older brother need knee replacement surgery at age 33 because of a football injury, I've seen what the repeated concussions have done to so many former NFL players, and I just wouldn't want that kind of future for my son (if I have one). I'd definitely encourage him to play sports and be competitive, but I don't think I would actively persuade him to try football anymore.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
For the longest time, I hoped to have a son and have him grow up to be a great football player. Now I'm not so sure I want that. The risk just isn't worth it. I've watched my older brother need knee replacement surgery at age 33 because of a football injury, I've seen what the repeated concussions have done to so many former NFL players, and I just wouldn't want that kind of future for my son (if I have one). I'd definitely encourage him to play sports and be competitive, but I don't think I would actively persuade him to try football anymore.
I'm with ya, Sas. I just plan on being supportive of whatever sport(s) he decides he likes...as long as it isn't soccer. :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with ya, Sas. I just plan on being supportive of whatever sport(s) he decides he likes...as long as it isn't soccer. :lol:
If nothing else, he'd be in spectacular shape. He just wouldn't be one of those pansy ass floppers. :shakehead:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Compound this with the ever skyrocketing ticket prices of college and pro games and the public suffers from repetitive sticker shock over watching those that do choose to play. Then add in the douchebags that want to use a game to make grand political statements and you further erode and piss off your clientele. Sorry but sports are fun to play and to watch, they are entertainment and are intended to be an outlet for our daily lives. Turning on a game or paying the money and showing up in person only to be preached at by the Bob Costa's or Colin Kaepernick's of the world is going to result in people simply tuning out completely. I know a lot of people that already have for these specific reasons.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Is the youth soccer fad still going on where the white parents take their kids to be a star.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I want my sons to pick up golf,can play forever and possibly get a scholly to school. Plus we can go on golf trips together. Man that'd be sweet!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
For the longest time, I hoped to have a son and have him grow up to be a great football player. Now I'm not so sure I want that. The risk just isn't worth it. I've watched my older brother need knee replacement surgery at age 33 because of a football injury, I've seen what the repeated concussions have done to so many former NFL players, and I just wouldn't want that kind of future for my son (if I have one)..
We've also seen what repeated concussions have done to you.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember growing up playing football in Orange Park. It rained all the time of course and we'd still be out there at practice every day of the week, lining up as fast as we could to bash the hell out of each other snap after snap. Our parents would have to drag us home we had so much fun. Our coach was a big fat mean guy who yelled and cussed and grabbed our facemasks and demanded perfection. Total blast. None of us minded a bit, especially when we went undefeated two years in a row. I'm sure he'd be crucified for his behavior today.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
This is what I was talking about in my post (#3 above) about the year-round leagues.

When most of us were kids, we played whatever sport was in season....hung up the gear and played whatever sport was in season.

There's a great article in the WSJ about it, the numbers are alarming:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-baseball-is-losing-children-1432136172

But MLB faces headwinds that have been years in the making and forces that are outside its direct control. In 2002, nine million people between the ages of 7 and 17 played baseball in the U.S., according to the National Sporting Goods Association, an industry trade group. By 2013, the most recent year for which data is available, that figure had dropped by more than 41%, to 5.3 million. Likewise, youth softball participation declined from 5.4 million to 3.2 million over the same span.

They're all still playing sports...just in front of a computer screen or drone racing.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I played organized tackle football for ten years. I've had two knee surgeries, have no disks in my neck to speak of and have permanent numbness in three fingers on my right hand. Like an idiot I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I just freakin' loved football.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm conflicted on the subject. Football is a tremendous tool toward helping kids learn how to work together as a team to accomplish something meaningful. Preventing a kid who wants to play, or worse still, a kid who wants to play and has the skills to play seems like unreasonable punishment. And yet the risks we know of make us pause and think.

Not sure what is right.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd encourage another team sport before sending a son out to play football.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I won father of the year once when my son hurt his arm and pulled himself out of a Pop Warner game when he was around 10 or so. I told the team mom taking care of him on the sideline that he had a history of being a bit of a drama queen and that he's fine to go back in the game. When he pulled himself out again a few plays later the team mom overrode me and told the coach he was done for the day. Yada, yada yada....of course he had a broken arm. :rolleyes2:

I never interfered with him in sports again. He played a few more years and lost interest and took up swimming and volleyball. Being 6'6" and 185 pounds also probably played a part in that too.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You gotta remember also, kids can compete online in video games now. They don't have to exercise or do any physical exertion for that. We live in different times.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You gotta remember also, kids can compete online in video games now. They don't have to exercise or do any physical exertion for that. We live in different times.
Yet one more sign of the apocalypse.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
time to start finding a favorite MLS team to root for. The upside is that if talent shifts from football to futbol, you might actually see the US win a World Cup pretty soon

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps the helmets are too good these days. It used to hurt like hell to hit your head. The helmet wasn't a weapon, it was just there to keep your head from caving in. Now it seems guys have no fear of running head first into another player. And why are the pads suddenly so small? Just better tech I guess? Seems like that lets them run faster and hit harder.
PADS-master1050.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.