Less kids playing football

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wait, this can't be ... these guys now are over 325 lbs -- I'd say more of them are playing now.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muslim kids play soccer.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I played organized tackle football for ten years. I've had two knee surgeries, have no disks in my neck to speak of and have permanent numbness in three fingers on my right hand. Like an idiot I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I just freakin' loved football.

Is your nickname Lucky?

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Have a friend who's an NFL assistant coach - his kids play flag football.

People have always said that the US could dominate in soccer if we got our best athletes to play it (instead of being on the list behind football, basketball, baseball).. the concussion/injury issue with football may actually make that happen.

Notice that they mention that football is losing participation as is baseball.. soccer and lacrosse are growing. Anyone want to make a 'pansy' joke about lacrosse - feel free to step on that field.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
There is a Gator club actually, I think they meet downtown Norfolk at the sports bar on Granby st just down from the federal courthouse. I'll google the name for you.

Baxters.
I was there for our NC game when we smoked UCLA and actually got interviewed by the local TV after the game.............I was hammered. :drunk:

You brought back memories of the time I lived in Portsmouth and Norfolk while going back and forth to Jax (Navy brat) from the early 70's till 1980. I sure miss The Scope Arena.
Back then in Norfolk, kids laughed at me when I told them I'm a Gator and Miami Dolphins fan.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My kid played tackle FB at six years old last Fall, with the pads, helmet and all - he was the youngest and lightest kid on his team, and maybe the league. He decided this summer that he did not want to play tackle football this Fall - as parents, we were elated. :highfive: For one, they practice like 5 times a week and then play a game on Saturday. We only have one kid, so I couldn't imagine having that schedule with multiple kids.
We still throw the football in the backyard as he sees himself as a WR (long, lean and fast like the old man) and said next Fall he wants to try flag football. He also plays baseball and basketball (he's better at both of these sports anyway right now), and we hit the driving range on a regular basis.
He's currently enrolled in Chess Club (once a week) and he loves it - Mom and Dad couldn't be happier. He also said he would like to take karate lessons, which we're currently looking into.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I played in HS and coached HS and MS football for many years. I had some injuries, but nothing that has been bothersome as I got older. I was lucky to an extent, but part of it was learning to play aggressively with good technique and being in good condition. I've had teammates that suffered severe injuries, some that plagued them as they aged, and some players likewise. Football isn't a game that you can play half-assed from the standpoint of being aggressive, using proper technique, and being in good shape. Falling short in one or more of these areas IMO leads to a lack of success and worse the potential for injury. Where we fall short is in properly trained coaches sometimes and those who lose perspective where wins and losses are concerned and put the players' well-being in terms of training, physical, social and emotional development at risk. But on the other side, you have kids who would rather and are allowed to spend a majority of their spare time vegetating with electronic stimului. Declining participation is not surprising.

I spoken about this before, but my son played football from the time he was a 5th grader until his last game as a senior in HS. We never had to beg or force him to play. He tagged along at the field some when I coached and grew up loving the game and wanting to be a player. He was fortunate to get some instruction from dad and was a good student. He learned and applied the principles of good technique, had a good motor (played hard and displayed good sportsmanship), and worked to stay fit. He had a few injuries, but nothing severe. He was lucky like I was, but I attribute it to a good foundation. He was a pretty decent QB, but excelled as a SS and would strike you with proper form. One thing we didn't allow was specialization in a particular sport. Early on, he played t-ball, basketball, and soccer. From MS through HS he played football, baseball, and basketball. His was a small school, so he was able to play all three. We avoided travel baseball, though he played during the summers from his junior year on with a group out of Marianna that traveled minimally and he never missed summer football workouts. He stayed in good shape year around, had no overuse injuries, and never felt burned out on one sport. This was important also.

I'd love to think that football can provide more benefits than not to every kid, but all are not predisposed to the game. The important thing is that kids play some team sport(s), as there are too many valuable lessons they can learn through participation and teamwork.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
NFL ratings down 15% this year. I'm sure kaepernick has affected that, but not that much. Imho, NFL has peaked like NASCAR. I don't expect as dramatic a decline as NASCAR though.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
An obituary in the Gville Sun today said CHarlie ROberts died recently at the age of 79. He played FB for the gators in the late 50s and was my football coach for two years. We hit and hit and hit and hit. Water was not a concern in the late 60s with him. It was man up all the time. We would start with 40+ kids and end up with about 20-25. Playing for him and not quitting is something I realize was an accomplishment. I once asked our bad ass 5'9 170lb soaking wet LB how did his practices compare to boot camp at Paris Island in 72. He said it was harder. His words. Paul was all conference and our captain. If he is 6 ft tall and 210 he plays major college ball. Everyone knew it. But my entire beginning is a digression.
Youth sports when I was growing up was taking my basketball or football down to the school later and getting up a game with whoever showed up. We made up the teams, called our own plays and policed ourselves. Didnt need parent's associations, perm slips, physicals, fees, uniform etc. We played for fun. And the teams changed each day. I started playing "organized" sports in 8th grade in JV basketball. They didnt have football for us at that age yet. My entire football career was 9th 10th and 12th grade varsity. I was tired in 11th of playing three sports a year and took that season off.
I loved HS football. We played both ways and I kicked and punted. I am better for it. Like Cover says, you get things out of a team sport like that you wont see many other places. Character and a work ethic. Loyalty and team spirit. Friendships that last munch longer than a used car. I met two old team mates recently and we had a grand time. I still think football can be a viable sport for our youth. Just play flag football till 6th grade and then let em try out for middle school football.a...........letting little kids bang heads is dumb especially when you have daddies trying to relive their youth through them....................

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
More kids are playing a different kind of futbol now...SOCCER

Highest cause of soccer concussions come from flops where their head accidentally hits the ground.
Surely, camps will spring up for teaching flop-safety.??

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I remember growing up playing football in Orange Park. It rained all the time of course and we'd still be out there at practice every day of the week, lining up as fast as we could to bash the hell out of each other snap after snap. Our parents would have to drag us home we had so much fun. Our coach was a big fat mean guy who yelled and cussed and grabbed our facemasks and demanded perfection. Total blast. None of us minded a bit, especially when we went undefeated two years in a row. I'm sure he'd be crucified for his behavior today.
Have you watched Last Chance U on Netflix? That guy reminds me of my high school coach, who was also an English teacher, and a very devout Christian man. :lol:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NFL ratings down 15% this year. I'm sure kaepernick has affected that, but not that much. Imho, NFL has peaked like NASCAR. I don't expect as dramatic a decline as NASCAR though.

Haven't seen a game this year. Just no interest.

Same happened with baseball. I used to watch at least one game every day/night (grew up with Braves on TBS and Cubs/White Sox WGN). I haven't seen a pitch in a few years now.

There is a reason I don't go to an accounting firm and sit and watch CPAs, or a law firm and watch lawyers. I want to see a GAME where athletes love the game they play, and are great at it, and that's IT. I don't care or deny them the money... but I've just lost interest when the storyline is collective bargaining, or politics, or sexual assault, or...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator