Let’s clear up the emerging narrative...

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
How many penalties did we have? Fumbles? I wasn't able to watch the game, so I'm just curious.
I watched the highlights and it looked like we executed the plays well, but of course against inferior competition.
We were sloppy against Miami but it was the first game. Not making excuses but a lot of teams were sloppy and lost their opening games (against what was perceived to be inferior opponents).
My major concern in the scum game was the lack of discipline (turnovers, penalties, and sideline antics) along with a lack of aggressiveness on the OL. It appears that our OL will be a work in progress, but that is to be expected.
But seriously, did anyone think that we were going to learn anything from this game? We could have won 100-0 and I don't think it would've made much of a difference.
We'll learn much more about this team against Kentucky before the next two fcs teams.
Then we have Auburn.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
How many penalties did we have? Fumbles? I wasn't able to watch the game, so I'm just curious.
I watched the highlights and it looked like we executed the plays well, but of course against inferior competition.
We were sloppy against Miami but it was the first game. Not making excuses but a lot of teams were sloppy and lost their opening games (against what was perceived to be inferior opponents).
My major concern in the scum game was the lack of discipline (turnovers, penalties, and sideline antics) along with a lack of aggressiveness on the OL. It appears that our OL will be a work in progress, but that is to be expected.
But seriously, did anyone think that we were going to learn anything from this game? We could have won 100-0 and I don't think it would've made much of a difference.
We'll learn much more about this team against Kentucky before the next two fcs teams.
Then we have Auburn.

3 penalties. 0 fumbles or int’s.

Even the weakest aspect of our game....running....was 38 carries for 231 yards or 6.0 ypc. Every runner except Wright averaged at least 5.0 ypc

Far from perfect but some good stuff to build on.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Beat some ranked opponents and take care of business against the rest. That'll clear things up more than stats against a severely outmanned opponent.
Exactly. Coach the old wise one.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
My concern moving forward is the OL, well, and Henderson’s ankle.

We didn’t get push against a woefully outmatched and undersized opponent. They are inexperienced. Hopefully they grow as the season progresses.

When the 2’s came in they weren’t able to do much at all. Hopefully we won’t need them much and can sub them in for reps.

OL don’t develop overnight. This isn’t a failure of Mullen’s, it just takes time.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I watched it twice more today and charted all 25 completions. Placement was on point on all but a few and even those that were slightly off had negligible impact on yards. Many in fact were screens to the outside where the receivers were squared up and/or stationary. Pass #24 he could have led Grimes and it might have been a TD.

Only Franks can go 25-27 and have the narrative become “yeah but some were bad completions”. I watched football all weekend and saw receivers making diving catches all over the place. FF cannot live up to your expectations of completing 93% of his passes with perfect placement on every ball. Nobody else can either. But they aren’t held to that standard.
Come on man. I just rewatched every offensive play and only highlighted VERY bad placement - as in the WR had to stop his route to catch or was spun around by the ball or lofted into the end zone into double coverage that every single FBS intercepts.

#6 - Behind Perine causing him to spin.
#7 - Behind Cleveland causing him to spin.
#10 - Perine has to stop his route to catch.
#16 - Short to Grimes, easy TD if its led. PI instead.
#17 - Lofts it into the end zone into double coverage creating a jump ball.

Bare in mind - I didn’t pick any that led dudes into blocks. Or his two very high throws (22/23 I think) that left the WR completely exposed. No one is asking for perfection on challenging routes but the majority of these are screens. I know you love to pump but be objective dude.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Wowsers, great thread Marine. Kudos to him and Mr RiverRat. Yall hit on some things that I have been saying for YEARS but I usually get in trouble for it. Bravo! In all kinds of weather...
Easy there buddy or you'll get an Owned and Destroyed Vacay.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Come on man. I just rewatched every offensive play and only highlighted VERY bad placement - as in the WR had to stop his route to catch or was spun around by the ball or lofted into the end zone into double coverage that every single FBS intercepts.

#6 - Behind Perine causing him to spin.
#7 - Behind Cleveland causing him to spin.
#10 - Perine has to stop his route to catch.
#16 - Short to Grimes, easy TD if its led. PI instead.
#17 - Lofts it into the end zone into double coverage creating a jump ball.

Bare in mind - I didn’t pick any that led dudes into blocks. Or his two very high throws (22/23 I think) that left the WR completely exposed. No one is asking for perfection on challenging routes but the majority of these are screens. I know you love to pump but be objective dude.

#6 was fine. Negligible impact.

#7 I also listed in my op. Slightly behind. Negligible impact.

#10 Again listed in my op. Slightly behind negligible impact.

#16 I think you mean 15 to Grimes. Negligible impact

#17 I think you mean 16 Hail Mary to close the half. It was incomplete. Not a completed pass lacking “perfect placement”. Or is the expectation that he complete them all?

# 22 was a little high.

#23 was just fine.

We nearly agreed on most. The difference is what impact they had. I added #24 as the one I thought actually had impact but we scored anyway. They did not “sabotage” the play. None of these were TD’s ruined because FF didn’t perfectly place all 27 passes. Most were a 0-2 yd difference. And most of them were on drives he led to scores anyway.

Or does he only get blamed for not having “perfect placement” on all passes but no credit for the actual score on the same drive?

I get you don’t like the kid but you shouldn’t ask for objectivity without providing some yourself. He executed the game plan he was given almost flawlessly. Yes the team was less talented but that does not detract from his execution at all. He did what he was asked to do and did it well. Doesn’t make him Tua but it just as certainly doesn’t mean he played a bad game.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
#6 was fine. Negligible impact.

#7 I also listed in my op. Slightly behind. Negligible impact.

#10 Again listed in my op. Slightly behind negligible impact.

#16 I think you mean 15 to Grimes. Negligible impact

#17 I think you mean 16 Hail Mary to close the half. It was incomplete. Not a completed pass lacking “perfect placement”. Or is the expectation that he complete them all?

# 22 was a little high.

#23 was just fine.

We nearly agreed on most. The difference is what impact they had. I added #24 as the one I thought actually had impact but we scored anyway. They did not “sabotage” the play. None of these were TD’s ruined because FF didn’t perfectly place all 27 passes. Most were a 0-2 yd difference. And most of them were on drives he led to scores anyway.

Or does he only get blamed for not having “perfect placement” on all passes but no credit for the actual score on the same drive?

I get you don’t like the kid but you shouldn’t ask for objectivity without providing some yourself. He executed the game plan he was given almost flawlessly. Yes the team was less talented but that does not detract from his execution at all. He did what he was asked to do and did it well. Doesn’t make him Tua but it just as certainly doesn’t mean he played a bad game.
Come on... Negligible impact? If you have to spin around, that slows you significantly. Enough to give the other team a step or two which is more than enough to kill any chance at an angle. And those are easy passes! It’s ok to say the guy had a fine game but has work to do. He’s not performing like he was the last 4 last year. He’s still trying that hero ball stuff - 2nd pick last week and the pass discussed below...

And 17 was the pass into the end zone that was tipped and almost caught by Pitts. Must have miscounted somewhere. There were two defenders right there and one would’ve intercepted if our own player didn’t tip it first.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t agree on FF. Dude isn’t affecting the running game like he was at the end of the year. I’d have to rewatch but I don’t think the defenses are respecting his part of the RPO much at all. The complaints about his short passing choices are dumb - that’s the play call - but his placement hasn’t been good. I watched it just this morning and there are multiple plays sabotaged by his placement. He’s “accurate” because the receiver catches it but the plays get blown up because of where he catches it. He makes some good throws too - don’t get me wrong - but Mullen’s offense needs passes that hit the guys in stride so they can exploit the blocks on the outside.
You're obviously a guy who hates the program and is a rival plant. And so am I, apparently, because I don't think Franks fits the offense. In fact, I personally ran Steve Spurrier out of Gainesville.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I watched it twice more today and charted all 25 completions. Placement was on point on all but a few and even those that were slightly off had negligible impact on yards. Many in fact were screens to the outside where the receivers were squared up and/or stationary. Pass #24 he could have led Grimes and it might have been a TD.

Only Franks can go 25-27 and have the narrative become “yeah but some were bad completions”. I watched football all weekend and saw receivers making diving catches all over the place. FF cannot live up to your expectations of completing 93% of his passes with perfect placement on every ball. Nobody else can either. But they aren’t held to that standard.
Sigh. I'll wait until after UK and then we can revisit this thread. The narrative will change, I assure you.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You guys still don't get it. This isn't about Franks' performance against a high school team, it's about his performance going forward. I expect him to be horrible, you guys expect him to be great. Only time will tell who is right.

All I'm saying is to prepare yourself. There are going to be many, many Franks threads to come following the upcoming, painful games.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
teddy_quote_full_0.png

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Franks has been ok. Not as bad as some claim.

The narrative is that the OL and TEs need to block for the running game better than they have, and the LBs and safeties are sorely in need of improvement in just about every phase.

I’m pleasantly surprised by what the freshman corners showed, our pass rush is good, and we have excellent skill players on offense, but that’s not enough to counter deficiencies that really have little to do with our QB.
I think it's his maturity that overshadows everything and really makes people believe he's worse than he really is. I'm not pro FF by any means, I'll be happy when we have someone in that position that holds the Gator standard. Maybe that will be FF one day, maybe not but it can't come soon enough.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Couple of counterpoints:

1) The strongest narratives I’ve seen are:

OL and TE run blocking is a significant concern for conference play.
LB will be a liability - across the field.
DB is THIIIINNN but some of the young fellas look pretty good.
FF supposed progression this offseason was a sham. About where he was last season minus the end of season rushing.

2) Sluggish start was pointed out by.... Coach Mullen going into the locker room at half. Not implying you have better insight into the player’s effort than CDM, are you?

Where do you see serious conflicts with any of this? FF looked shaky and wasn’t a willing runner against Miami and completed a ton of passes against a FCS team like the coach asked him to. Not exactly setting the word on fire.

Where is Gamble? I have not seen him play and he is our best blocking TE.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Come on... Negligible impact? If you have to spin around, that slows you significantly. Enough to give the other team a step or two which is more than enough to kill any chance at an angle. And those are easy passes! It’s ok to say the guy had a fine game but has work to do. He’s not performing like he was the last 4 last year. He’s still trying that hero ball stuff - 2nd pick last week and the pass discussed below...

And 17 was the pass into the end zone that was tipped and almost caught by Pitts. Must have miscounted somewhere. There were two defenders right there and one would’ve intercepted if our own player didn’t tip it first.

The cumulative yardage lost on all the completions due to “sabotaged” placement was 10 yards or less. You are just reaching because you can’t just say he “had a fine game but has work to do”. I can.

#17 was the first pass of the 3q. You are thinking of #16. The Hail Mary with 2 seconds left in the end zone. It was not hero ball. Are you kidding me? It was a called play to take a shot at the end of a half.

He had a real fine game and has stuff to work on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator