Let the hate flow through you

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Yep. A Tigertown sign is in the background. I grew up watching minor league baseball there. An umpire ejected the batboy from the game one night. Dizzy Dean told the story on the "Game of the Week" a couple of weeks later. Brought to you by Falstaff Beer!

I grew up there, too. My folks used to let me skip school to take me to spring training games.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
I dont even recognize it now. We had many reunions at CHristina Park and fished those phosphate pits for speckled perch in the 50s and 60s. Dad called one Clark Pool. Fished Bonnie Lake between Mulberry and Bartow. Swam too. Our reunions used to be there. So many years ago.

I played my Little League baseball at Christina / Medulla. Some of the best memories from my childhood.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I dont even recognize it now. We had many reunions at CHristina Park and fished those phosphate pits for speckled perch in the 50s and 60s. Dad called one Clark Pool. Fished Bonnie Lake between Mulberry and Bartow. Swam too. Our reunions used to be there. So many years ago.
Giant largemouth bass bed in those Central Fla lakes this time of year. Wade the shore line pitching a Johnson spoon with yellow skirt might produce a 10 pounder on any cast. Loved this time of year when I was a kid.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder how many folks know how to pronounce Medulla...asking for a friend
0d0980d5911db05ae234380aba3929c1--s-movies-movie-tv.jpg

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I wonder how many folks know how to pronounce Medulla...asking for a friend

The original name for the community was Spring Hill but back in the 20's or so the US Post Office made them select a different name because there was another Spring Hill in Hernando County. I've heard how they came up with the name but don't remember. I will ask my mother. She is 94 and lives in Tampa now. Her grandfather gave land for the elementary school and for Ardella Baptist Church. Her first cousin was John Dossey the namesake of the little league fields at Christina. He owned Dossey's Sinclair at the corner of Pipkin Road and Dossey Road.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I will ask my mother. She is 94 and lives in Tampa now. Her grandfather gave land for the elementary school and for Ardella Baptist Church.
She probably went to school with some Acrees. Ina, Betty and Fritz My dad went to school with Pipkins. My grandparents lived on Oak Lane near the RR tracks. By the Purcells. Ask your mom if she new them and the McNeils (the had the grocery at the west end of Oak Lane.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
She probably went to school with some Acrees. Ina, Betty and Fritz My dad went to school with Pipkins. My grandparents lived on Oak Lane near the RR tracks. By the Purcells. Ask your mom if she new them and the McNeils (the had the grocery at the west end of Oak Lane.

Mcneil's Grocery and Acree sounds familiar but I cant place the Oak Lane location. My mother's family was Smith. My grandfather built the family house on Alamo Drive about 1910 which is now Old Harden Blvd. I will see my mother this weekend and ask her.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Mcneil's Grocery and Acree sounds familiar but I cant place the Oak Lane location. My mother's family was Smith. My grandfather built the family house on Alamo Drive about 1910 which is now Old Harden Blvd. I will see my mother this weekend and ask her.
Any relation to Sue and Smitty who were volunteers at Sun N Fun for many years? BTW Medulla is pronounced "meh-dull-a

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Any relation to Sue and Smitty who were volunteers at Sun N Fun for many years? BTW Medulla is pronounced "meh-dull-a

I am not familiar with Sue, Smitty or Sun N Fun. I haven't lived in the area since the 60's and most of my family moved away or passed away in the early 70's.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
MEDULLA UPDATE for anyone interested

My mother and grandmother were founding members of the Polk County Historical Society. She knew the Acrees but was a bit older and didn’t go to school with them.

She worked at that store when it was Smith’s Store for about 6 months in 1944 while my father was stationed in England with the Army Air Corps during the war before McNeil bought the store.

I have heard of Fun n Sun. It’s at Drane field where my father who was from Oklahoma was stationed and trained before going to MacDill and in to England. My parents met and were married during that time.

My brother worked with the author Martin Caiden and participated in Fun n Sun in the 80’s flying a JU-52 and other planes.

Wayne Peace family. Before Wayne’s time, Polk County school district lines were redrawn in the 50’s to move Medulla to the Lakeland school district to move move the Peace boys from Mulberry High to Lakeland High.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.