Let the hate flow through you

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Must be Lakeland........LOTS Of gators there

Yep. A Tigertown sign is in the background. I grew up watching minor league baseball there. An umpire ejected the batboy from the game one night. Dizzy Dean told the story on the "Game of the Week" a couple of weeks later. Brought to you by Falstaff Beer!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. A Tigertown sign is in the background. I grew up watching minor league baseball there. An umpire ejected the batboy from the game one night. Dizzy Dean told the story on the "Game of the Week" a couple of weeks later. Brought to you by Falstaff Beer!

He had a ripple!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Don’t tease us like that; what did a bat boy do to get ejected?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Don’t tease us like that; what did a bat boy do to get ejected?

The manager had been ejected 2 innings earlier and went to the locker room which was located down the left field line between 3rd and the foul pole. The bat boy made 3 or 4 trips between the dugout and the locker room so the ump thought he was shuttling directions from the manager to the coach. The ump ejected the bat boy, the story got to Dizzy and he tanned the umps hide and laughed him to shame on national television a few weeks later. I was in 6th or 7th grade in the early 60's.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
And Gillete? My dad grew up in Medulla (between Lakeland and Mullberry and went to many of those games. Was a Detroit TIger for life.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
And Gillete? My dad grew up in Medulla (between Lakeland and Mullberry and went to many of those games. Was a Detroit TIger for life.

My mother was born and raised in Medulla. I went to Medulla Elementary in 4th grade

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My mother was born and raised in Medulla. I went to Medulla Elementary in 4th grade
small world.........my grandparents lived on Oak Lane. Down from McNeils grocery. They closed that road off a few years ago. My dad went to Medulla Elem. from about 1936 to 42 and the Mullberry HS. Grandparents had a citrus grove on a swamp the RR ran about 1 block east of their house. I spent much of my childhood with them at times. I lived in Bartow till I was 4........our parents went to Elem school together probably.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The manager had been ejected 2 innings earlier and went to the locker room which was located down the left field line between 3rd and the foul pole. The bat boy made 3 or 4 trips between the dugout and the locker room so the ump thought he was shuttling directions from the manager to the coach. The ump ejected the bat boy, the story got to Dizzy and he tanned the umps hide and laughed him to shame on national television a few weeks later. I was in 6th or 7th grade in the early 60's.
:rotfl:
Classic.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Dizzy’s favorite phrase was “He had a ripple” when a big hitter swung and missed.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
small world.........my grandparents lived on Oak Lane. Down from McNeils grocery. They closed that road off a few years ago. My dad went to Medulla Elem. from about 1936 to 42 and the Mullberry HS. Grandparents had a citrus grove on a swamp the RR ran about 1 block east of their house. I spent much of my childhood with them at times. I lived in Bartow till I was 4........our parents went to Elem school together probably.

My mother was born in the family house on Alamo Drive in 1925 and went to Mulberry High. I spent a lot of time there growing up. Lets talk sometime

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm impressed. I wasn't good for much more than a couple of Texas Leaguers six months after I was married.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Your dad was proud to be a Fella from Medulla? (Sung to the time of “Okie from Muskogee.”

It USED to be between Lakeland and Mulberry, pure country back in the day. It’s very much part of Lakeland now. All built up now as a residential area. (We moved from Bartow to Lakeland in 1970.)

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Your dad was proud to be a Fella from Medulla? (Sung to the time of “Okie from Muskogee.”

It USED to be between Lakeland and Mulberry, pure country back in the day. It’s very much part of Lakeland now. All built up now as a residential area. (We moved from Bartow to Lakeland in 1970.)
I dont even recognize it now. We had many reunions at CHristina Park and fished those phosphate pits for speckled perch in the 50s and 60s. Dad called one Clark Pool. Fished Bonnie Lake between Mulberry and Bartow. Swam too. Our reunions used to be there. So many years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.