Let's Be Honest

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Last week was a debacle. We won the game, but I'm sure nobody is going into the game this week (against a very improved UK team) feeling over-confident. That being said here are some blunt observations about the team thus far:

• Grier is head and shoulders above Treon as a collegiate quarterback, but his looseness with the football and temporary bonehead lapses in judgement will likely prolong Mac from shying away from the two quarterback system. If it's more of the same from him, I expect both QBs to play until after the Tennessee game. Harris must be on time with his passes and Grier must stop putting the ball on the ground.

• Our receivers have been improved from last year, but are not nearly consistent enough. Surprisingly, our best receiving option not named Demarcus Robinson has been Goolsby. Callaway has also been a pleasant surprise.

• Our backup safeties are not progressing as quickly as I had hoped. Marcel Harris has been a tremendous disappointment thus far in his career. Still waiting for him to realize his potential. Keanu Neal needs to play extensively this week.

• Cronkrite appears to be our best running back right now. The kid gets North and South and is a very physical back. Very impressed with him. Too early to comment on Scarlett, but KT must make the most of his touches if he doesn't want to be relegated to second or third string permanently.

• Mac has to limit his on-field outbursts. He was justified in making an example out of KT, but he needs to be careful not to get labeled or perceived as being a hothead coach. He looked a lot more like Muschamp than he did Saban during the post-game press conference. I actually think he is a way better coach than Chimp, he just needs to be careful.

• All that being said, I think we will rebound and play much better against UK this week. It will definitely not be a blowout, but I think we will be better against the pass defensively and a lot crisper offensively. It's our first big road test of the season and I think Mac will have boys ready to play after a tough week of practice.

Go Gators!

Thoughts?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just win baby, win. Grier will be better, but I don't want have avoidable losses by having in there full time until he's better prepared, the next two games will determine how long that learning curve will be,

With our problems at LB, we need the safeties to step up even more and not be a liability. Crunk can get the job done, KT dances more than the others but is still a quality RB.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I agree but with some additions. Our offensive line must improve and quickly, they did not open holes for the running backs as they will need to do. Without the dink offense our defense should be more effective and I expect some different looks and blitz packages. I also expect some new offensive plays that we have not yet put on film.

We can't tolerate any missed FGs or errors preventing scoring.

If we play to our potential I expect a decent win, nothing will come that easily to this group without a lot of growth especially on offense and special teams.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Nice post .....Agree with everything especially the backup safeties. Both Harris and Washington are in they're 3rd years here, you'd think they would be ready to play when called upon.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n279922 said:
Nice post .....Agree with everything especially the backup safeties. Both Harris and Washington are in they're 3rd years here, you'd think they would be ready to play when called upon.

Exactly. I expected those two to rise to the occasion and shine in the absence of our starters, but they appeared as though they were still not ready for prime time. They've been hear long enough that they should be more consistent contributors by now.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I'm curious to see how Ivey performs if he sees action this week. As Vulcan stated, the O-line play has been spotty at best, but our Freshmen linemen have had a few impressive plays thus far. If Ivey is the best of the bunch, I wanna see how he fairs against SEC level competition. I'm hoping he's another Laremy Tunsil (minus the baggage).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
heversle;n279924 said:
Exactly. I expected those two to rise to the occasion and shine in the absence of our starters, but they appeared as though they were still not ready for prime time. They've been hear long enough that they should be more consistent contributors by now.

2 years ago I thought these 2 would be our starting safeties.....well at least they are pretty solid on special teams.
I think UK will be kinda tough on our defense with their mobile QB...If our DB's turn their backs on him he'll take off, yet if you play him to run he can throw a decent pass.
I think it will be a lot like last weeks game, 34-31 or something like that and hopefully we get the win.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great post. Agree with everything.

Grier just seems like he needs to mature more. Once that clicks, he'll be a stud.

Where's McGee been?

Im just disappointed in KT and I just don't see it changing much. I think he's who he is and nothing more. Just disappointed. However, Cronk is going to be great.

Mac ax made his example last week. There won't be anymore outburst like that going forward.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
To me, this year is about the future. We will have 3 true freshman playing extensively on the o-line and a redshirt freshman at QB. I say let them take their lumps so we have a shot at the east next year. If Mac lets Grier take his lumps, I think he'll be the best QB in the east by years end.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honest... you want Honesty....... I don't think you can handle the honesty!!!!!

Honestly, I don't see the Gators winning this game. I would be very happy with a road win and I think they are capable of winning but,,,,,, I just don't see the improvement that I expected. Many of you are expecting UF to turn the switch and become a "good" functioning team in one week. In reality even a "good" team might have trouble with UK at home this year. Even though our defense has put up good numbers, they really have had issues stopping both cupcakes we played (correction: NMSU was more like a Club Team than a College team, so 1 cupcake). I don't think Hargraves can't fix the Suckage from our safeties..... I expect UK to get behind or through our safeties and I don't expect our d-line to get pressure without bringing some blitzes which will put more pressure on terrible safeties.

Offense: I think Grier has all the tools to be a great SEC QB, unfortunately this 2 QB system is damaging his ability to find and keep a rhythm.. I think he will have two turn overs and only complete about 50% of his passes which will be mostly short, dump off passes. I don't think we will rush for more than 90 yards and we will be hard pressed to score 30 points. I also don't think a recovering, returning Ivey will be a difference maker up front. All in all, I just don't see an offense capable of putting 30+ points on UK and a defense not capable of holding UK to under 30.

So, I predict a finale score of UK 35, UF 28!

How confident am I in this prediction? Not very.....

I still want my Gators to win every game but I think WM just left too many problems to fix in one year.

Go Gators!

krisl648

Founding Member
Life Long Gator!
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n279958 said:
All in all, I just don't see an offense capable of putting 30+ points on UK and a defense not capable of holding UK to under 30.

So they put up 26 on the sorry USCe D.....but we cant hold them under 30????? I just don't see that happening. UF wins going away by at least 2 TD.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n279958 said:

Honestly, I don't see the Gators winning this game. I would be very happy with a road win and I think they are capable of winning but,,,,,, I just don't see the improvement that I expected. Many of you are expecting UF to turn the switch and become a "good" functioning team in one week. In reality even a "good" team might have trouble with UK at home this year. Even though our defense has put up good numbers, they really have had issues stopping both cupcakes we played (correction: NMSU was more like a Club Team than a College team, so 1 cupcake). I don't think Hargraves can't fix the Suckage from our safeties..... I expect UK to get behind or through our safeties and I don't expect our d-line to get pressure without bringing some blitzes which will put more pressure on terrible safeties.

Offense: I think Grier has all the tools to be a great SEC QB, unfortunately this 2 QB system is damaging his ability to find and keep a rhythm.. I think he will have two turn overs and only complete about 50% of his passes which will be mostly short, dump off passes. I don't think we will rush for more than 90 yards and we will be hard pressed to score 30 points. I also don't think a recovering, returning Ivey will be a difference maker up front. All in all, I just don't see an offense capable of putting 30+ points on UK and a defense not capable of holding UK to under 30.

I still want my Gators to win every game but I think WM just left too many problems to fix in one year.

Go Gators!

What is your current prediction for our regular season record this season?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
krisl648;n279973 said:
So they put up 26 on the sorry USCe D.....but we cant hold them under 30????? I just don't see that happening. UF wins going away by at least 2 TD.

Well KY fans are on their site saying we only put up 24 offensive points against a team that Towson State scored 20 points on.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n279958 said:

Go Gators!
Last week they had bad practices and weren't focused. This week they are focused and practicing hard. We'll be fine and will win by at least two scores.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;279958 said:

Go Gators!

Sad day when a Gator fan is predicting a loss against Kentucky.... The team we've beat 28 straight years. I understand there improved but we have a defense that will halt them along with even a mediocre O will get the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good initial post and conversation. I'm very worried about the game this week. I think getting Neal back is actually bigger than getting VH III back because Tabor and Wilson played well last week, but Maye, Harris and Washington did not play well.

I hope Ivey can give the OL more push. I think UK is going to blitz whoever we have at QB and make us beat them throwing the ball. I also think they are going to take advantage of Anzalone being out. I actually think that is the biggest loss for this defense. He was an athletic linebacker who could cover a TE or a back. Davis and Morrison don't have that speed so we are at risk there. Powell has the speed, but he is small for a LB and can be taken advantage of in the run game. I think the loss of Anzalone is huge for our D.

I am hoping that Collins can put together key blitzes at key moments and that can help. We also haven't faced a run game yet and UK will give us all that we can handle. It is going to be a battle for sure, but if we can get some stops and points early we could take the crowd out of the game and kill the energy.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Muschamp is gone. Kentucky is Kentucky. We won't lose games we're supposed to win any more.

article-2090936-116D393C000005DC-741_634x483.jpg

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n279977 said:
Well KY fans are on their site saying we only put up 24 offensive points against a team that Towson State scored 20 points on.

Indiana beat Missouri last year. Missouri embarrassed us. Was Indiana better than us last year? Georgia beat Missouri 34-0. We housed Georgia. Were we better than Missouri last year? That just shows you how much results against other teams matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.