Let's draft Spurrier for A.D....name any person more qualified

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pros and cons....you must name someone better qualified if you are against it.

discus

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's 8 years older than the current AD that's retiring.

True, but 70 is the new 55....the only thing that should matter is who is best qualified for the job....Spurrier easily has a good 10-15 more years. The assistants do all the real work, if you can call it that.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Define.... "best qualified". And you think he is working until he is 86?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Steve isn't invested in all those other sports, although if he wanted to diversify his interests like that,
his "Believe" philosophy and his drive to be the best would serve UF ADept well. Alas, I don't think, at
this late stage he'd want trying something new.??

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We'll be wheeling him out like that dead dude on Weekend at Bernies.

I can see it now, woman's lacross comes in asking for new uniforms. This will be Spurrier in 15 years:
200w.gif

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not after he convinced south Carolina to hire will Muschamp. Seriously, if he thinks that highly of Will Muschamp as a coach I don't want him doing the hiring here. I love the head ball coach but I wouldn't want him as ad.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not after he convinced south Carolina to hire will Muschamp. Seriously, if he thinks that highly of Will Muschamp as a coach I don't want him doing the hiring here. I love the head ball coach but I wouldn't want him as ad.

I think he did that as favor to the Gators.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
True, but 70 is the new 55....the only thing that should matter is who is best qualified for the job....Spurrier easily has a good 10-15 more years. The assistants do all the real work, if you can call it that.

I'd argue with you about age and the delicate position SOS would be in compared to his coaching days... However, if gordon gee can be an arrogant, pompous and obnoxious (not to mention wrong about a lot of things) elitist as posu prez, then the HBC can certainly be his witty self as AD.

That said, it's probably better to find someone younger, but with appropriate experience and success to be the next AD.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

He didn't have anything to do with that hire, t...Muschamp sold Tanner some snowballs to eskimos....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier owns multiple properties and probably has a sizeable portfolio, but that doesn't necessarily make him qualified to run a major athletic department, where the numbers crunching goes far beyond. And at this stage of his life, why would we assume he's prepared to put in consistent 10-hour days when he wasn't as our football coach 20 years ago?

Ain't gonna happen.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
He didn't have anything to do with that hire, t...Muschamp sold Tanner some snowballs to eskimos....

Not to take the tangent further away from the topic, but...

Did y'all see the biggest snowball he sold to tanner? Tanner asked why he should hire a coach who was fired from a previous job. Chump said "happens all the time in the nfl." Seriously, how many times did that actually turn out to be a GOOD hire? But I guess that question didn't come up.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier owns multiple properties and probably has a sizeable portfolio, but that doesn't necessarily make him qualified to run a major athletic department, where the numbers crunching goes far beyond. And at this stage of his life, why would we assume he's prepared to put in consistent 10-hour days when he wasn't as our football coach 20 years ago?

Ain't gonna happen.

Do you think Foley actually works, let alone 10 hours....his assistant AD's do the grunt work. Foley glad hands and watches sporting events.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do you think Foley actually works, let alone 10 hours....his assistant AD's do the grunt work. Foley glad hands and watches sporting events.

You delegate to cover more ground than you can on your own. The amount of ground covered by the Florida Athletic Department is enormous. So, yes, I do think he works a lot of 10-hour days. And I'm very sure the guy coming in will be expected to. This is not a ceremonial position.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You delegate to cover more ground than you can on your own. The amount of ground covered by the Florida Athletic Department is enormous. So, yes, I do think he works a lot of 10-hour days. And I'm very sure the guy coming in will be expected to. This is not a ceremonial position.

I disagree, but you could be correct. Good CEO's just monitor the big picture and cast the deciding vote, if necessary.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well if assistants do all the real work, why not hire from within ? Take the money saved and put it into
a paintball arena. We've already got a Gator Paintball Club to work out the layout kinks … and to paint
the place of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.