Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope that's the case because Harris struggles to throw any pass that requires some zip and struggles to throw across the hashes

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n133092 said:
I sure hope that's the case because Harris struggles to throw any pass that requires some zip and struggles to throw across the hashes
Treon has far more arm strength than Danny Wuerffel.

Arm strength is over-rated. Ask this guy:
jeff-driskel-meme-driskelin.jpeg

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, i don't remember wuerffel struggling to throw a screen pass to the far side of the field

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't remember Wuerff or any other SOS QB throwing screen passes other than that little flare to a back, usually T Jackson or Gillespie.

If you are throwing a screen pass when arm strength matters (press coverage), you're doing it wrong.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I think the best three throwing arms we've had at UF since SOS arrived were Johnson, Grossman, and Driskel. Grossman was dynamite in 2001, but still threw 36 picks in 3 seasons. We know all about the other two's struggles. Then you have guys like Wuerrfel and Leak, who didn't have strong arms at all, and they lit it up. Tebow obviously had a strong arm, but always threw those wobbly passes so we never got to see them at full speed. :lol:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n133144 said:
Yeah I think the best three throwing arms we've had at UF since SOS arrived were Johnson, Grossman, and Driskel. Grossman was dynamite in 2001, but still threw 36 picks in 3 seasons. We know all about the other two's struggles. Then you have guys like Wuerrfel and Leak, who didn't have strong arms at all, and they lit it up. Tebow obviously had a strong arm, but always threw those wobbly passes so we never got to see them at full speed. :lol:

Don't forget Terry Dean.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n133144 said:

Don't forget about Eric "The Missile" Kresser. Lit up Northern Illinois as a Gator for 450+ yds and 6 TD's, including a 96 yd TD to Quezzie. Couldn't beat out Danny W. for the starting job, mostly due to his accuracy issues according to Spurrier (if memory serves correctly he had a habit of overthrowing). Followed Pruitt to Marshall via transfer and won himself a 1-AA National Championship.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;133075 said:
Worries me, he couldn't get on the field with an offense this bad? Would they protect his red shirt with their jobs on the line?

He had back spasm issues all year

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Harris' height is probably the reason we didn't see slants or even TE/RB screens in the middle. He couldn't see over the mountains in front of him!

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n133197 said:
He had back spasm issues all year
I would've had back spasms too if they wanted to stuff me in that rotation. Rumor on the street has been that red shirting was part of his deal to come here. His dad is a damn good coach and doesn't want to see his son get Driskeled. I still don't get how we landed him. Regardless of who we recruit this year, Greer's the over on the immediate future of the resurgence of Gator football.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
MJMGator;n133156 said:
Don't forget Terry Dean.

I have always said that Terry Dean was an awesome QB, but he let the stress of SOS get to him. IMHO....That is why he threw those INTs (4 I think) against Auburn and then the "Savior" Wurffle came in.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n133252 said:
I have always said that Terry Dean was an awesome QB, but he let the stress of SOS get to him. IMHO....That is why he threw those INTs (4 I think) against Auburn and then the "Savior" Wurffle came in.

If I recall correctly, he was one of the front runners in the Heisman race, but didn't respond too well to SOS's coaching and was benched. Didn't his dad threaten to sue or something?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BoomTown;n133204 said:
I would've had back spasms too if they wanted to stuff me in that rotation. Rumor on the street has been that red shirting was part of his deal to come here. His dad is a damn good coach and doesn't want to see his son get Driskeled. I still don't get how we landed him. Regardless of who we recruit this year, Greer's the over on the immediate future of the resurgence of Gator football.

Not sure on Grier as of now . His competition wasn't that good in high school. Hopefully he turns out well.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Gator Fever;n133268 said:
Not sure on Grier as of now . His competition wasn't that good in high school. Hopefully he turns out well.

I saw Grier play in high school, standing on the sidelines to observe a couple of times. Yes, he played in a lower classification against lesser athletes but I believe he can be the next "guy" at QB. He has a strong arm but more importantly, is very accurate. Most every pass he threw in the state championship game was delivered on target, allowing the receivers to catch it in stride. He moved well in the pocket and showed an awareness of the pass rush around him. Don't think he has elite speed but he's quick and ran effectively when necessary. In short, he looked like a functional quarterback should.

My guess on the desire for a redshirt season would be related to bulking up some size-wise and getting used to the speed of the game on an elite SEC level. I am anxious to see what he can do in McElwain's system with effective coaching. I think the skill set is there.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
All I am going to say about our next "guy" at QB is this. We need to look at all the Preachers in America and find out which one of them have sons that are QBs. That seemed to work for us with our three He15man winners.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n133347 said:
All I am going to say about our next "guy" at QB is this. We need to look at all the Preachers in America and find out which one of them have sons that are QBs. That seemed to work for us with our three He15man winners.

Dang, I never thought about that! Very good point.

And we actually had a FOURTH QB slash preacher's kid who went on to win a Heisman, as well. Unfortunately he just wound up doing it in a slightly different shade of orange and blue.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
NCOGator;n133347 said:

Don't forget about Cam Newton!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator