Mac's comments from today

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually I think it makes it easier on the line because you are making a defensive lineman make a choice and not allowing them to just run to the ball carrier. They have to think about the pitch, etc...

If they are already behind you line the time you have to set up that option isn't there. How many times are their two DT's right when Kelvin Taylor gets the ball? How often is Treon being pushed back in his roll out due to a DE having leverage on a tackle. If we had better tackles I would agree, but our tackles are being blown up by safeties.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Your right T-Rex, lets change the offensive system these players have been learning for almost a year. Because as Treon is sitting behind the line about 7 yards deep trying to decide to hand off or not. Much like many have already said with Taylor being consistently met behind the line of scrimmage, how do you think that is going to work in this instance? I guess it being tackles for loss instead of a sack will look better on the stat sheet. At least with the roll out passes (when he could get outside) he could throw it away. No one is saying Treon is a drop back passer, but the line isn't magically going to become better blockers with better depth in 6 days either.

You aren't seeing the forest for the trees. Treon isn't a drop back passer and has regressed. It's on the coaches to change and adapt on the fly. That's why they are getting millions. You do remember he is getting paid to do so, right? I'm sure there are a ton of teams where the back up QB has a different skill set then the starter. Adapt. It's what he is PAID to do. Jaysus

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is good. A little late but good. Treon is not a drop back pocket passer and Mac has been trying to make him that. Treon is much more effective rolling out and ad-libbing his plays. He could score last year as a freshman and he scored on LSU and UGA this year. But every week Mac tried to coach him more and more to stay in the pocket where he can't see sh!t. So get him back out of the pocket and let Treon be Treon.

Against LSU and UGA we had a healthier line. It's easier to roll out with tackles not being pushed into the backfield.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
In fact, Anthony Becht was on the radio this am and said the coaches could have done a lot to help Treon out. More quick slants, more screens etc etc

It's not all on Treon. The staff needs to take some responsibility as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You aren't seeing the forest for the trees. Treon isn't a drop back passer and has regressed. It's on the coaches to change and adapt on the fly. That's why they are getting millions. You do remember he is getting paid to do so, right? I'm sure there are a ton of teams where the back up QB has a different skill set then the starter. Adapt. It's what he is PAID to do. Jaysus

I remember he is getting paid. But you still haven't brought up a logical solution. All you said is he isn't a drop back passer. NO ****ING $HIT. You are obviously a MENSA candidate figuring that $hit out. So he's not a drop back quarterback, but was sacked or called for intentional grounding at least 3 times during roll outs against FSU. So you think Bama DE's aren't going to blow up our Tackles? The part you keep forgetting is our line is questionable to say the least. Defenses know how to contain him, and on the obvious draw plays were hit and miss. So you expect him to get to the edge with our tackles? The same one that got blown up by a 210 pound safety? Some quarterback draws have helped, but we are already doing that. Read option when the defensive line is playing in your backfield on every play. It's a bad situation made worse by our lack of depth on O-line and a quarterback who needs to get outside the pocket to be a 50% passer.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In fact, Anthony Becht was on the radio this am and said the coaches could have done a lot to help Treon out. More quick slants, more screens etc etc

Would throwing the quick slant or running a screen... usually be pocket passing?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I remember he is getting paid. But you still haven't brought up a logical solution. All you said is he isn't a drop back passer. NO ****ING $HIT. You are obviously a MENSA candidate figuring that $hit out. So he's not a drop back quarterback, but was sacked or called for intentional grounding at least 3 times during roll outs against FSU. So you think Bama DE's aren't going to blow up our Tackles? The part you keep forgetting is our line is questionable to say the least. Defenses know how to contain him, and on the obvious draw plays were hit and miss. So you expect him to get to the edge with our tackles? The same one that got blown up by a 210 pound safety? Some quarterback draws have helped, but we are already doing that. Read option when the defensive line is playing in your backfield on every play. It's a bad situation made worse by our lack of depth on O-line and a quarterback who needs to get outside the pocket to be a 50% passer.

I guess we should forfeit. Sorry you can't have a normal convo without the insults.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Would throwing the quick slant or running a screen... usually be pocket passing?

Seriously? You don't know the level of difficulty between a 7 step drop(or in the shotgun) and going through progression versus one read and throw?

Dude...at this point you are arguing just to argue. Move on

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously? You don't know the level of difficulty between a 7 step drop(or in the shotgun) and going through progression versus one read and throw?

Dude...at this point you are arguing just to argue. Move on

Actually I do now the difference. I know how to do a 3,5, and 7 step drop. No one is arguing a limited read and throw combination. Nor have you mentioned on until just now. So quit your whinning.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Perhaps Mac should spend more time here on GatorChatter since most objective posters here have seen and been commenting on this for weeks. Sad it took Mac 6 weeks of humiliating offense to suddenly have the revelation, but better late than never I guess.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mr. Can't see the forest for the trees? Pot and kettle.
You're not seeing the forest for the trees is an insult? I thought it meant you weren't seeing the bigger picture. I didn't know you were insulted by it. It's an old proverb.

My apologies dude.

Oct 5, 2014
I thought coach was really off his game today. He seemed really uncomfortable, disconnected, and distracted. It was almost like his IQ had dropped 20 points in the last fifteen hours.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TRex acting like he doe
I thought coach was really off his game today. He seemed really uncomfortable, disconnected, and distracted. It was almost like his IQ had dropped 20 points in the last fifteen hours.

He probably just got done reading some of the posts on this board.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

He was already throwing quick passes. Usually about 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. How much quicker do they expect the coaches could have gotten it outta his hands?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Andrew Spivey ‏@AndrewSpiveyGC 5m5 minutes ago
Mac saying that he may be asking Treon Harris to do stuff that he can't do. Mac says he needs to use Treon's skill set better.

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 6m6 minutes ago
McElwain suggests he's been putting too much Treon Harris' plate. "We try to push the envelope."

We've only been saying it for a few weeks of watching the game broadcast and we don't even need the coaches film to see it. I guess I'm glad he's recognizing it now but too bad it took a loss to talk about it. We'll see if anything changes this week, he picked a hell of a week to do it but if it helps us win the SEC Championship then great!

Just smoke and mirrors. Everyone knows you can't change your offense mid-season.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
And will we see anything different this week? Doubtful....

Harris has been put in a bad spot. Hate to see him take so much of the heat. I'm just curious how bad the backup is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.