Mac's comments from today

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Andrew Spivey ‏@AndrewSpiveyGC 5m5 minutes ago
Mac saying that he may be asking Treon Harris to do stuff that he can't do. Mac says he needs to use Treon's skill set better.

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 6m6 minutes ago
McElwain suggests he's been putting too much Treon Harris' plate. "We try to push the envelope."

We've only been saying it for a few weeks of watching the game broadcast and we don't even need the coaches film to see it. I guess I'm glad he's recognizing it now but too bad it took a loss to talk about it. We'll see if anything changes this week, he picked a hell of a week to do it but if it helps us win the SEC Championship then great!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Meh, this is just coach speak designed to deflect criticism away from treon b/c Mac doesnt want him to check out or develop of a defeated attitude. Making it as if its the staff to blame for the performance is a protection meaure. I doubt we see much difference. I'm all for doing something different because what we have been doing doesnt accomplish :kiffin: but I doubt we blow up the playbook 6 days before Atlanta. Maybe we see a wrinkle or 2, but that would be the extent of it.

Hunker down boys, its going to be a bumpy ride to January :lol2:

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Meh, this is just coach speak designed to deflect criticism away from treon b/c Mac doesnt want him to check out or develop of a defeated attitude. Making it as if its the staff to blame for the performance is a protection meaure. I doubt we see much difference. I'm all for doing something different because what we have been doing doesnt accomplish :kiffin: but I doubt we blow up the playbook 6 days before Atlanta. Maybe we see a wrinkle or 2, but that would be the extent of it.

Hunker down boys, its going to be a bumpy ride to January :lol2:
These quotes gave me hope that we would see something different that might have the potential to give this offense a spark and this comment just :kiffin: on that hope...thanks a lot!
:lalala:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Local radio said the same. Mac was asking Treon to be a drop back passer and he'snot. Mac admitting as much is the mea culpa. Meyer went through the same thing. Not sure if it is ego or what but it is sad it took so long. Treon probably isn't as bad as he showed. The coaches were just asking him to do too much and stuff outside of his skill set.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac and Nuss didn't see it after FAU and Vandy, wtf made them all of a sudden see it now? Pure horseshiit.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
it's been said on here by many of us for quite a while

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac and Nuss didn't see it after FAU and Vandy, wtf made them all of a sudden see it now? Pure horseshiit.

:exactly: Are they just now looking at tape? 5 weeks straight of regression and it took a loss, in the Swamp, to a most hated rival for the light to go off? I'm mad as hell we lost to the criminoles, and Mac admitting this now reflects totally on his ability as a HC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach speak nothing more, nothing less.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I keep saying they need to use more run option with Treon. Let him do some zone read and option plays. It will be interesting to see if they do it against Bama, but also frustrating because they didn't recognize it before FSU.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I keep saying they need to use more run option with Treon. Let him do some zone read and option plays. It will be interesting to see if they do it against Bama, but also frustrating because they didn't recognize it before FSU.

Do we have a line that can block long enough for those slower developing option players and zone reads? Unlike a normal running play those types of runs take more time, what about our line makes you think they will be able to hold their blocks against Bama for those types of plays?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Do we have a line that can block long enough for those slower developing option players and zone reads? Unlike a normal running play those types of runs take more time, what about our line makes you think they will be able to hold their blocks against Bama for those types of plays?

I think it would be better to try to get our o line to actually block then to try to turn a non-drop back passer into a drop back passer. Which do you think is smarter?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Andrew Spivey ‏@AndrewSpiveyGC 5m5 minutes ago
Mac saying that he may be asking Treon Harris to do stuff that he can't do. Mac says he needs to use Treon's skill set better.

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 6m6 minutes ago
McElwain suggests he's been putting too much Treon Harris' plate. "We try to push the envelope."

We've only been saying it for a few weeks of watching the game broadcast and we don't even need the coaches film to see it. I guess I'm glad he's recognizing it now but too bad it took a loss to talk about it. We'll see if anything changes this week, he picked a hell of a week to do it but if it helps us win the SEC Championship then great!
This very well could be the issue. The guy looked scared in the game - too many thoughts going through his head. I thought the solution was to get him popped.

I fully agree we are ramming a square peg down a round hole.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it would be better to try to get our o line to actually block then to try to turn a non-drop back passer into a drop back passer. Which do you think is smarter?

Your right T-Rex, lets change the offensive system these players have been learning for almost a year. Because as Treon is sitting behind the line about 7 yards deep trying to decide to hand off or not. Much like many have already said with Taylor being consistently met behind the line of scrimmage, how do you think that is going to work in this instance? I guess it being tackles for loss instead of a sack will look better on the stat sheet. At least with the roll out passes (when he could get outside) he could throw it away. No one is saying Treon is a drop back passer, but the line isn't magically going to become better blockers with better depth in 6 days either.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This will amount to a few more QB draw plays and they might actually let Powell have one or two of those jet sweeps.

I'm guessing they were scared shiitless to put one of the back-up QBs out there but now that the season is basically over, there's no need to be overly protective of Treon anymore. I think this also says a lot about the quality of our back-ups.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac is going to have Brandon Powell change his "in-motion" to when he gets in front of Treon,
he lays down, Treon takes snap and stands on Powell's butt to pass from the pocket.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Actually I think it makes it easier on the line because you are making a defensive lineman make a choice and not allowing them to just run to the ball carrier. They have to think about the pitch, etc...

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Again, I don't think we have to change the playbook, but limit the reads that Treon has to do. If it's not there, use your legs.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
This is good. A little late but good. Treon is not a drop back pocket passer and Mac has been trying to make him that. Treon is much more effective rolling out and ad-libbing his plays. He could score last year as a freshman and he scored on LSU and UGA this year. But every week Mac tried to coach him more and more to stay in the pocket where he can't see sh!t. So get him back out of the pocket and let Treon be Treon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator