Make Gator Football great again!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What's important here is only 25s opinion while he sits at home eating 3 day old pizza.

God forbid anyone else share what they watched in person, even when there is agreement within it. All hell must break loose
One more word out of either one of you back to each other, and you guys can take a few days off to collect yourselves.

@Gatorbait25 do not respond to this.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to skip past Napier in terms of the hierarchy.

How much does it matter to that we have impressive overall facilities and accomplishments as an athletic department? Because we're underachieving in the two biggest sports and the architect of that misdirection is Scott Stricklin.

Can/should Stricklin be able to point to the impressive array of athletic facilities and OVERALL achievement and say he continues to belong? Does it make sense to compartmentalize Stricklin's achievements and lay weight to them? What matters more to a company, its sales, manufacturing or marketing department? At what point does Sasse say, the acclimation/honeymoon period is over, I'm asserting my authority?

The word crossroads is not out of context here. We've crossed the line.
If anything happened to Stricklin I would be absolutely shocked. I think the higher-ups, including Sasse, point to the recruiting and believe it needs more time.

What WILL happen is they'll force Napier to hire an OC and/or change out some other staff.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@URGatorBait just be the bigger man and walk away.
Always :lol:

Look, the point of what I've been trying to say is this game soured me on Napier. What he's doing right now....ain't it.

I do think we were in severe depths before he got here and that isn't his fault, but this team seems to be regressing not progressing.
He has to make major overhauls this off-season. If more od the same is what he plans to do, next year will be his last

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's gonna be a tall order :grin:
Ox didn't say I couldn't respond to you :grin:
Come At Me Kevin Hart GIF

Jk Durty you're my favorite hater

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I can only imagine in the coming weeks how uncomfortable it’s going to get for Napier. I just hope the media won’t hold back on the criticism. Does Napier do a weekly call in show like Dabo? Some of us should call. Lol

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If anything happened to Stricklin I would be absolutely shocked. I think the higher-ups, including Sasse, point to the recruiting and believe it needs more time.

What WILL happen is they'll force Napier to hire an OC and/or change out some other staff.

You can change out the parts on a Formula 1 car. If you don't have a competent driver, it doesn't matter.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
78, it may not matter in terms of titles, but recruiting complicates everything. In the NFL, you can fire coaches and GM's overnight, like the Raiders just did with Josh McDaniels and the GM. Then, you just promote an interim from within. Every player has a contract, so you don't have to worry about the roster.

If we were still having Mullen recruiting classes, that gives you a lot more leeway. Instead, we have our best class since Meyer, and we all know that you need the jimmies and joes to actually compete again. We have to keep that class together. I know the popular opinion is that this group is going to leave over the next month as we keep losing, but I don't buy that. I think those players love the staff and they think they can turn it around.

Now, if we had a superstar coach in the waiting, that would be a different story. If Meyer was willing to return, then you fire Napier tomorrow. Otherwise, who are we getting that's going to save recruiting?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
78, it may not matter in terms of titles, but recruiting complicates everything. In the NFL, you can fire coaches and GM's overnight, like the Raiders just did with Josh McDaniels and the GM. Then, you just promote an interim from within. Every player has a contract, so you don't have to worry about the roster.

If we were still having Mullen recruiting classes, that gives you a lot more leeway. Instead, we have our best class since Meyer, and we all know that you need the jimmies and joes to actually compete again. We have to keep that class together. I know the popular opinion is that this group is going to leave over the next month as we keep losing, but I don't buy that. I think those player love the staff and think they can turn it around.

Now, if we had a superstar coach in the waiting, that would be a different story. If Meyer was willing to return, then you fire Napier tomorrow. Otherwise, who are we getting?

The logical assessment of where we are has been virtually hijacked by the upcoming recruiting class. The game has changed to the point where competitiveness is judged on an almost continual 24/7 basis until you achieve breakthrough status. I don't think the class will collapse, but it could experience leakage.

I can only hope we abandon the philosophy of hiring diamonds in the rough to run the show. No more speculation. It's time to pony up for truly proven people.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The logical assessment of where we are has been virtually hijacked by the upcoming recruiting class. The game has changed to the point where competitiveness is judged on an almost continual 24/7 basis until you achieve breakthrough status. I don't think the class will collapse, but it could experience leakage.

I can only hope we abandon the philosophy of hiring diamonds in the rough to run the show. No more speculation. It's time to pony up for truly proven people.
I don't disagree, but even "proven people" sometimes aren't all they are cracked up to be. Lincoln Riley is in his second year with a Heisman QB behind center, and they are unranked team.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't disagree, but even "proven people" sometimes aren't all they are cracked up to be. Lincoln Riley is in his second year with a Heisman QB behind center, and they are unranked team.

Yep, a risk either way. At times like this, you need a leader who has a feel for the situation. Neither Napier nor Stricklin in their own separate ways has shown that ability. This is when you look for leadership beyond.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

If we were still having Mullen recruiting classes, that gives you a lot more leeway. Instead, we have our best class since Meyer, and we all know that you need the jimmies and joes to actually compete again. We have to keep that class together. I know the popular opinion is that this group is going to leave over the next month as we keep losing, but I don't buy that. I think those players love the staff and they think they can turn it around.

Now, if we had a superstar coach in the waiting, that would be a different story. If Meyer was willing to return, then you fire Napier tomorrow. Otherwise, who are we getting that's going to save recruiting?
While I agree with most if this, the thing you’re leaving out is if Napier gets canned next year (which looks probable based on results), half of this recruiting class could easily enter the portal and leave us in the ditch. The transfer portal is a friggin curse IMO.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree with most if this, the thing you’re leaving out is if Napier gets canned next year (which looks probable based on results), half of this recruiting class could easily enter the portal and leave us in the ditch. The transfer portal is a friggin curse IMO.
They might, they might not. While we see a lot of players in the portal, there's a weird perception that thousands of elite players are moving around each year now. That's nonsense. Most players stay where they are.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They might, they might not. While we see a lot of players in the portal, there's a weird perception that thousands of elite players are moving around each year now. That's nonsense. Most players stay where they are.
Well, based on our luck everyone worth a sh*t would transfer. :lol:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Napier ain't getting fired this year regardless. Hopefully he can hold this recruiting class together and once he's canned late next year gotta hope they hire a proven winner that can keep the transfers to a minimum. I don't see anyway possible he's the coach starting the 2025 season.

I think some people forget butters had the number 1 ranked recruiting class for a good part of his 2nd or 3rd season. See how good that worked out for us.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

It’s a curse and a blessing. Players can easily transfer out with the portal, and a new head coach can easily replace them through it, with players he wants. There has never been logic behind retaining a staff to keep a recruiting class in tact, but there’s even less now. If you feel Napier is truly building something and you feel he’s the right guy, then fine. I disagree wholeheartedly, but respect the view. But if the impetus for keeping him is to keep a class together, that’s a failed approach.

And @oxrageous , you’re also counting chickens at the moment. None of these kids have signed, Filsaime and several others are taking OVs at other places, and outlets like 247 are already talking about how critical it is now that they hold things together because other programs are in poaching mode. If we sign everyone committed, yes it’s our best class since Meyer. But I’m less and less convinced that will end up being the case.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't agree with that at all. I don't see players quitting. I see players mismanaged
Absolutely correct. These kids came fighting back yesterday until the end. We have not seen that in a long time. If that were a Mullen team, they would have folded instantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.