Marcus Maye USA Today All American

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the defensive players on our team, I wouldn't have thought of him to be the first team all american.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the defensive players on our team, I wouldn't have thought of him to be the first team all american.
In his defense, he only gave up the 2 big hail marry's to Bama by not playing the ball correctly.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maye played GREAT this year. Yes he missed a few opportunities like everyone else who has ever played the game, but the dude created more opportunities than I can count.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He's a redshirt junior, correct? Do you guys think he is gone to the NFL after being named a USA Today first team all american?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I'm a bit shocked he made first team (VH3 didn't even make 2nd team), but he was always around the ball. But, Bullard got snubbed big time.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a bit shocked he made first team (VH3 didn't even make 2nd team), but he was always around the ball. But, Bullard got snubbed big time.

Very much so. Ramsey and VH3 are far and away the top corners in the league. I also think Bosa is a completely overrated bum watching him play. Also think Hardin got snubbed being left out for PK

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
He is great in run support, but the 'Bama and LSU long passes alone would be enough for me to scratch him from the list.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
We all love VH3, but Tabor is the real deal. I saw this about Tabor.

PFF College‏@PFF_College
Florida CB Jalen Tabor has given up 22 rec on 50 targets (44.0%) to go with 4 INTs and 12 PDs No. 9 coverage grade in nation, 1st SEC

Tabor also had 33 tackles and 14 pass break ups.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Seemed like Maye was in on every tackle this year, regardless of the play. Just seems to have an Ahmad Black type instinct for the ball.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that Maye has made some great plays this year, causing and recovering fumbles and he's really solid with run support; heck he can even stick with a receiver, for the most part; but he was right there on both long passes against Bama (hail mary's as Mr2Bits pointed out), so much so that he ran right by the receiver on both of them. I'm still pissed at him for not having any ball awareness. And yes, he's as good as gone, being named a 1st Team All American. He just made a bunch of money. I wish him the best - go represent Gator Nation.
srb5k.jpg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think on that play v. Bama he was actually in great position to catch the ball so it wasn't "ball awareness." If one of the tenants of playing safety is to be deeper than the deepest, he was right there. The ball was a little underthrown and the receiver was able to jump in front of Maye and make the catch. To me its kind of like a back shoulder throw where the defender has good position but at the end of the day you can only cover one side of a guy. If Maye was between the receiver and the QB and Coker throws a good pass we'd still be complaining.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think on that play v. Bama he was actually in great position to catch the ball so it wasn't "ball awareness." If one of the tenants of playing safety is to be deeper than the deepest, he was right there. The ball was a little underthrown and the receiver was able to jump in front of Maye and make the catch. To me its kind of like a back shoulder throw where the defender has good position but at the end of the day you can only cover one side of a guy. If Maye was between the receiver and the QB and Coker throws a good pass we'd still be complaining.

:scratchchin:
He was in great position, but he never turned around on either of those passes and had no idea where the ball was. Being in position meant he was next to the WR, which is great, but not making a play on the ball because you don't know where it's at is horrible 'ball awareness'.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is great in run support, but the 'Bama and LSU long passes alone would be enough for me to scratch him from the list.
This. In his defense he is really a strong safety but we already have Neal so he is basically playing out of position.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This. In his defense he is really a strong safety but we already have Neal so he is basically playing out of position.
I would love to see Neal put on 10-15# and move to WLB, both Dawson and Washington played CB in HS and were recruited to play that position so maybe they're a little better in coverage than what we've seen over the last 3 or 4 years.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good for him. He's made a lot of great plays for us.
:chomp:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Very much so. Ramsey and VH3 are far and away the top corners in the league. I also think Bosa is a completely overrated bum watching him play. Also think Hardin got snubbed being left out for PK

Hardin missed it by a mile ... and a foot.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Marcus Maye is Gus Scott revisited.
Great cover skills, abominable ball skills.

I will not miss watching him watch receivers catch passes

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I heard recently that Saban decided to use converted CB's to become safeties. This was in a story about Bama's improved safety play.

I think it makes sense for FS. A larger CB out of HS makes sense at FS. These kids are going to do nothing but get bigger physically.

Maybe some of these 3* CB's with be converted to safety?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.