Mary Wise

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I covered Gator swimming for the Sun back in the dark ages. We were dominant, a perennial top three program and the pride resonated, although the feel I got was from within. I was never sure how much it meant to people on the outside. I got into it, met a lot of future Olympians and I actually learned to get along with Randy Reese, who could be a load.

I barely watch the football team now let alone the peripherals. I want to know we're good, but you probably won't hear me bringing up volleyball at a cocktail party.
Turn in your card, it's over.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Turn in your card, it's over.
I probably should. I'm not nearly as ardent over any of this as I used to be.

Those were really terrific moments for Gator peripherals in 1980. We had a new high-tech arena (the O'Dome), and it brought immediate interest to swimming, volleyball, gymnastics and (esp) Norm Sloan's hoopsters.

I'll never forget the first time I walked in the place. It seemed so technologically advanced, and the smell of chlorine from the pool pervaded. It was so different than Florida Gym, aka the Alley.

Good times.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I probably should. I'm not nearly as ardent over any of this as I used to be.

Those were really terrific moments for Gator peripherals in 1980. We had a new high-tech arena (the O'Dome), and it brought immediate interest to swimming, volleyball, gymnastics and (esp) Norm Sloan's hoopsters.

I'll never forget the first time I walked in the place. It seemed so technologically advanced, and the smell of chlorine from the pool pervaded. It was so different than Florida Gym, aka the Alley.

Good times.

Did you know anyone who ascended the drains to get on the roof? I was told there were flaps over holes meant to regulate pressure on the (then) fabric roof that you could lift and peer into the arena. I’m too afraid of heights to try it but I heard tales.

And if you used the regular doors rather than the revolving ones, you’d feel the whoosh of air pressure that held the roof up.

ccsdk

True Gator
Nov 12, 2017
I covered Gator swimming for the Sun back in the dark ages. We were dominant, a perennial top three program and the pride resonated, although the feel I got was from within. I was never sure how much it meant to people on the outside. I got into it, met a lot of future Olympians and I actually learned to get along with Randy Reese, who could be a load.

I barely watch the football team now let alone the peripherals. I want to know we're good, but you probably won't hear me bringing up volleyball at a cocktail party.
Hey...I remember Randy Reese and coach Bill Harlan when I tried out for the team in 75. They were loaded that year with several olympians like Tim Makee and Gary Chelosky. I think we were ranked 7 in the nation. Didn't Reese move to Auburn and turn them into a power house or was that his brother?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Did you know anyone who ascended the drains to get on the roof? I was told there were flaps over holes meant to regulate pressure on the (then) fabric roof that you could lift and peer into the arena. I’m too afraid of heights to try it but I heard tales.

And if you used the regular doors rather than the revolving ones, you’d feel the whoosh of air pressure that held the roof up.
I made it on the roof. They had little door near the top. My friend worked for a contractor so he took em up. You could see Paynes Prairie easily and it was like a very big pillow up on the roof.
They would try to funnel you to the revolving doors but sometimes we would run to those doors to feel that air pressure push you out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hey...I remember Randy Reese and coach Bill Harlan when I tried out for the team in 75. They were loaded that year with several olympians like Tim Makee and Gary Chelosky. I think we were ranked 7 in the nation. Didn't Reese move to Auburn and turn them into a power house or was that his brother?

Randy and Eddie Reese formed one helluva dynamic brother duo in swimming. Eddie coached Auburn and later Texas, where he led the Longhorns to a slew of national titles. Randy was at Florida from 1976-90. The two couldn't have been more unalike. As much as Eddie could be gregarious and easy to approach, Randy was just the opposite, standoffish, sarcastic and quick to criticize. He tested me a lot, but over time he softened a little. Regardless, they were both hugely successful.

The last time I saw Randy he looked like this.

220px-Randy_Reese.jpg

He's in his 70s now and coaching the Clearwater Aquatics Team down here. It's a bit jolting to realize how much time has gone by.

Randy-Reese-Bio.jpg

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Wise can’t win the big one #FireWise

Early on in her career I wondered if the softness of the SEC lead to her teams not being as ready for post season as they could be. The SEC is better in volleyball now. Maybe she just needs the right break to win it all. I thought possibly drawing UNL in the finals this year would be the trick, but alas.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Early on in her career I wondered if the softness of the SEC lead to her teams not being as ready for post season as they could be. The SEC is better in volleyball now. Maybe she just needs the right break to win it all. I thought possibly drawing UNL in the finals this year would be the trick, but alas.

I was just messing around

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

http://floridagators.com/news/2013/9/12/1496.aspx

Bill Harlan --- there's a name to remember from out of the past. Back then Florida had some really big meets with Tennessee for SEC supremacy in swimming.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Your post just helped revive a memory from my first quarter at UF. Handball. I hadn't been able to remember who the instructor was for years until just now.

It was Bill Harlan.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=jekDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4522,195201&hl=en

I remember in physical education class taking handball and playing out on the outdoor courts on University Avenue. One of the PE coaches whom I had for handball was a character by the name of Permillas Arten Lee who went by his initials of P.A.Lee. He was a character but also a real gentleman. There was another coach at UF by the name of Jim McCachren who also was a good handball player. He was an assistant to Tommy Bartlett the Gators' basketball coach. Those handball courts were eventually named the Lee-McCachren Handball Courts in their honor.

Last edited:

ccsdk

True Gator
Nov 12, 2017
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=jekDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4522,195201&hl=en

remember in physical education class taking handball and playing out on the outdoor courts on University Avenue. One of the PE coaches whom I had for handball was a character by the name of Permillas Arten Lee who went by his initials of P.A.Lee. He was a character but also a real gentleman. There was another coach at UF by the name of Jim McCachren who also was a good handball player. He was an assistant to Tommy Bartlett the Gators' basketball coach. Those handball courts were eventually named the Lee-McCachren Handball Courts in their honor.
Coach Harlan and coach Reese were brutal. Oh man ...i thought I was a hotshot high school All American sprinter from California, when I tried out for the team. But these guys were complete studs. I remember one workout swimming 10 broken 200's on the 2:00 minute mark. This is oxygen deprevation stuff. This is ghastly training. This kind of stuff is throw-up nausiam after 5 of them. Damn if the top 4 guys were repeating these 200's within 5 seconds of the national record. Needless to say I trained with them for 6 mos. and then joined the Gator Band.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

I remember in physical education class taking handball and playing out on the outdoor courts on University Avenue. One of the PE coaches whom I had for handball was a character by the name of Permillas Arten Lee who went by his initials of P.A.Lee. He was a character but also a real gentleman. There was another coach at UF by the name of Jim McCachren who also was a good handball player. He was an assistant to Tommy Bartlett the Gators' basketball coach. Those handball courts were eventually named the Lee-McCachren Handball Courts in their honor.
Remember both of them well. I had Mac for a basketball class and PA for baseball. These were classes PE majors had to take. They were buds that played racquetball on the old courts and many years later a plaque was put up with their names on it there. Of course all that was demolished by the UAA for the stadium parking years later. I remember back in the 70s when those courts were always full with someone waiting for each one. 3 wall racquetball was very popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator