McElwain and recruiting

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trask is a once in a lifetime. Signing a 2 star QB to play at Fl. is not a good idea and would likely be a failure 99% of the time.

Not all 2* are the same...him sticking around and playing at his HS as a backup instead of going to another school obviously skewed this. He is not a 2* talent just he let himself get stuck in a bad situation if getting D1 scholarship offers was the goal.

lrtx1

Dec 2, 2014
Way I remember hearing it, nutmeister was there for someone else, the high school coach pointed him in the direction of Trask.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
deaf mute and blind squirrel.....on the spectrum.............

I'm not a fan of Mac. However, Trask came to camp at UF, Mac saw him, recognized talent and was impressed enough to give him an offer him. I don't have much nice to say about Mac, but this is one instance where he did a good job. Donk is blinded by hatred. Mac is a good coach for Central Mich; he was just way over his head at UF.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
Its difficult to think about the cumulative acts and omissions of the last regime without becoming irate. No, fvvk that guy he didn’t do sh!t but destroy everything he could lay a glove on at UF while laughing all the way to the bank on the way out the door. Trask is a success in spite of him, just like Will Grier should have been. Pass the nitro glycerin before I stroke out.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It wasn't Beastiality Boy who recruited him it was Nusswigger. McElwain only agreed to it because we were desperate for depth due to his own lack of recruiting and his driving good QBs away from the program. Nusswigger, the story goes, found this kid because he had been a deacon in Pastor Trasks' church and recruited him not only because Pastor Trask vouched for his son, but because their wives had a Hobby Lobby/Chick-Fil-A connection. In other words, we totally lucked out.
Trask is the son of a Preacher Man? Start building a statue now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting thought.

As terrible as he was with recruiting (and make no mistake - he was horrible) - he was one of the only D1 schools to offer Trask.

Trask is now showing that he's a legitimate SEC caliber QB.. and nobody else noticed him.

So.. I give sharkboy THIS MUCH credit. Now, about that offensive line....
That
was laziness not brillance.

He also saw LDR as clearly superior to Grier, and said it often.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not a fan of Mac. However, Trask came to camp at UF, Mac saw him, recognized talent and was impressed enough to give him an offer him. I don't have much nice to say about Mac, but this is one instance where he did a good job. Donk is blinded by hatred. Mac is a good coach for Central Mich; he was just way over his head at UF.
Taking a 200,000,000:1 longshot because you are too incompetent to land any QBs anyone else wants (that really includes Giraffe too) isnt an accomplishment.

We tried for dozens of other QBs (and every other position) and failed spectacularly.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Taking a 200,000,000:1 longshot because you are too incompetent to land any QBs anyone else wants (that really includes Giraffe too) isnt an accomplishment.

We tried for dozens of other QBs (and every other position) and failed spectacularly.
He had that kid at Ole Miss no one wanted lined up to. He loved to accept those misfit toys.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
You know what they say about broken clocks. I agree Trask is talented, but he also benefited from Two years with Mullen and Co. Doubt he would have ever looked the way he does now if Nuss and Butters were calling plays.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not all 2* are the same...him sticking around and playing at his HS as a backup instead of going to another school obviously skewed this. He is not a 2* talent just he let himself get stuck in a bad situation if getting D1 scholarship offers was the goal.

Agree. I think what we're also seeing with Trask is the benefit of just sticking things out, putting your head down and improving. If this were any period prior to around the mid-90's, Trask's success wouldn't be shocking at all. It was commonplace for midlevel recruits to redshirt, spend 2-3 years learning the system in practice(without the shellshock of real games) and then emerge as an upperclassmen. The landscape has just changed so much and we routinely see freshman starting right out of the gate. It's a credit to Kyle for putting in work and being patient. Mullen said as much after the Uk game. He's a throwback in more ways than one.

And as for JM's overall recruiting, the criticism was for more than just not landing elite talent. There was no depth recruited behind the handful of solid players he did land. Case in point, the uga game last year. Henderson goes down and we're left watching McWilliams all afternoon. Stewart suspended, and it's back the JT show. The drop down is tremendous. Any time we have multiple defensive players, whose offers were all G5 programs, starting, it's an obvious problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.