McElwain Assembling Saban-esque Coaching Staff at UF

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;189932 said:
When I last googled this, it said Trailerbammer had 24 quality contol assistants with varying titles. We're in the right track but we still have lots of ground to cover. Having that many assistant assistant coaches to watch film is just one of the many reasons Bammer could have beaten by 80 if they wanted to last year.

Also note that since 2012 or so these quality control assistants can make some recruiting contacts. Having 4 last year, while economical and perhaps good for Fooley's budget, put us at quite the disadvantage.

This. Times a billion.

Bama virtually has 30 coaches breaking down film and tendencies. That's why they're so prepared. Until the NCAA or conferences get rid of this skirting of the coaches limit, it's eat or be eaten.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting subject, interesting observations. Foley's been an outstanding AD but in some ways it astounds me how naive he remains about the game of football.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im not really sure anyone knows the number. I swear I saw 39 but couldnt find it with a quick google.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
27 are listed strictly as football. There's a couple hundred more hidden in all the other athletic dept. bloat.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
John Garrett has been a career wide receivers coach and was the OC at Oregon state last year. Pretty sweet we were able to get a guy like that on the support staff

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
jaywalker72;n189641 said:
Seems like great competency, but like TREX said, before I go popping champagne, I'll wait to see how it makes a difference on the field. But it sounds fantastic.
Really!!

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n189994 said:
27 are listed strictly as football. There's a couple hundred more hidden in all the other athletic dept. bloat.

I laughed at this but it's probably more true than we know...

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Having these assistant assistants on staff will also help w/our future coaching carousel.

As coaches get cherry picked away from us, we'll be able to roll new coaches into position much like Alabama has been able to do w/out skipping much of a beat.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n189978]Interesting subject, interesting observations. Foley's been an outstanding AD but in some ways it astounds me how naive he remains about the game of football. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's not getting in an arms race. Everyone else is getting tactical nukes while Foley is buying BB guns. It is mind boggling and I swear the game(the biggest, football) has passed him by.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n190075 said:
Yeah, he's not getting in an arms race. Everyone else is getting tactical nukes while Foley is buying BB guns. It is mind boggling and I swear the game(the biggest, football) has passed him by.

Yeah, it's been 6 whole years since we won a NC. Literally hundreds of programs have won one since then. He sucks and should just hang it up.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n190149 said:
Yeah, it's been 6 whole years since we won a NC. Literally hundreds of programs have won one since then. He sucks and should just hang it up.

And what has happened since? He obviously has made some poor decision and it sounds like it took our new head coach to DEMAND these things instead of Foley being proactive. Defend him all you want...he is a Gator legend but everyone comes full circle at some point.

BLACKCELL

Dec 1, 2014
Hearing and understanding what Mac is putting in place for UF proves muschump was a clueless buffoon and had no business being a head coach. Foley did not do his homework, nor did mushy!

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n190204 said:
Fooley likes the direction of the program.

Yep, which is why he fired the coach that had those seasons and hired the exact opposite of WM. :rolleyes:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n190075 said:

Everyone??? Usually this talk is just about bama. I didn't realize EVERYONE had 30 + coaches like bama.

A couple of years ago we were all bi!ttching and moaning calling Lil' Nicky and bama a bunch of cheaters for having all of these "coaches" on staff and giving them a BS "analyst" title. It took us a little time but it seems we said president fuch it! If you can't beat'em, join'em. Obviously Coach Mac is smart enough to know that we will never overtake bama and retake our rightful place among the SEC elite while playing with such a disadvantage. Best I can tell, we are one of few programs doing this still. So, I say, "give'em credit." We're still getting ahead of many other programs here.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I believe FSU had expanded into having these additional coaching roles. Aside from AL, and I assume Oregon, I'm not aware of any other schools with extended staffs (insert phallic pun here). Point being, very few schools are 'big staff' programs, but those that are have shown the benefits of it. I suspect JMac's pitch to Foley was that this is part of what it takes to be in that top tier of national programs and Foley responded "where do I sign?".

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
After doing a little research I've found 6 programs who employs large secondary staffs and those are US,Bama,UGA,LSU,OSU,and Clown st. However us and Bama will be the only ones who will have 20+ analyst on staff. The rest that I mentioned above have anywhere from 10-15 on staff but I imagine that they are in the process of upgrading also.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to remember SOS having several QB's on staff back in the day. Perhaps some other more informed poster could supply some details. So it is not something actually new.

I do wonder if they can visit recruits or see their games at least or can they only work on film.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n190364 said:
Everyone??? Usually this talk is just about bama. I didn't realize EVERYONE had 30 + coaches like bama.
Not everyone, just the ones who compete for and win NCs.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Bottom line, we are on an uphill climb. Its gonna be fun the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator