McElwain Vs. Harbaugh Recruiting

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Seems like the situations were pretty similar. Both programs ravaged by an inept coach (UF for longer). In my opinion coach Mac hit a homerun while Harbaugh hit and looping double. Yes, I mixed my metaphors. But I think this truly shows the quality of coach we have now. I'm not ready to claim Mac to be the G.O.A.T, but its a promising start.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
He definitely exceeded a lot of people's expectations. He's got the recruiting chops, now let's see what he does with them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Harbaugh was a strange situation. I know he got a very late start but he didn't even attempt to get many of the 3 stars it seemed that weren't already on board just offering a bunch of 4 stars to flip their commitments.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Gator Fever;n170636 said:
Harbaugh was a strange situation. I know he got a very late start but he didn't even attempt to get many of the 3 stars it seemed that weren't already on board just offering a bunch of 4 stars to flip their commitments.

We call that ego...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mac had a month start on Harbaugh and our backyard is the most fertile recruiting ground in the country.

Give it 3 years to compare.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We will know more at the start of next football season. At AT&T stadium. Right now both coaches are getting their teams more in line with their philosophies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meatchicken only had 15 or so schollies available. Their former coach was stupid also but not as inept as Chimp.

Dec 10, 2014
I think it's a legit, present comparison. The comparison by the 2017 will obviously be better, but there's enough to go on now. I think Harbaugh has two issues. 1). I'm not sure his heart is really in being Michigan's head coach. There was a lot of pressure on him to do this job, and he felt an obligation to salvage a program that has been an embarrassment. That problem may converge with problem 2). I think his perspective was that his CV would sell recruits, and that he probably didn't have to as much. Harbaugh has an impressive CV for sure, but he still has to make contact and put in the time. While he got a later start, he had much better credentials to sell in that short period than Coach Mac. He could have pulled a better class than he did. He's going to have a rut of a season two or three years down the road, which will stall the program's progress. We just avoided that fate. We will surely dip in talent compared to our rivals in 2-3 years but the drop off won't be as large as it could have been.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We wont dip necessarily if we have a huge class. I think we will still be able to take 10 EEs or Jucos plus 25 next year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n170655 said:
Mac had a month start on Harbaugh and our backyard is the most fertile recruiting ground in the country.

This... I think Mac did a great job, but we are not comparing apples to apples here.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n170702 said:
We wont dip necessarily if we have a huge class. I think we will still be able to take 10 EEs or Jucos plus 25 next year.

I hope you're right. Wouldn't put a lot of scholarships towards JUCOS unless absolutely necessary. 10 EEs next year would be indescribably beneficial to this program.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
MJMGator;n170653 said:
I couldn't care less what goes on in Michigan.

A horrible roommate for a few years has caused me to put MICH on the hate list. Not up there with our rivals or pOSU, but I hate them enough to cover you lack of caring.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
T REX;n170655 said:

How much of that 'month' was the dead period?

JMac - Dec 4
Harbaugh Dec 30

Dead period Dec 15 thru Jan 14

JMac had 11 days head start, not a month. Still, give both 3 yrs as you say, that's when they've had a chance to put their stamp on the programs and get relationships established.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n170777 said:
How much of that 'month' was the dead period?

JMac - Dec 4
Harbaugh Dec 30

Dead period Dec 15 thru Jan 14

JMac had 11 days head start, not a month. Still, give both 3 yrs as you say, that's when they've had a chance to put their stamp on the programs and get relationships established.

Disagree...if Harbaugh had taken the job earlier the buzz surrounding his acceptance of the UM job would have carried through the dead period. The kids had NO IDEA he was going to be the coach.

You're wrong.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
No, you. :nyah:

Seriously, you can have your opinion and I can have mine. To state I'm 'wrong' is your perception, slanted as it is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n170706 said:
I hope you're right. Wouldn't put a lot of scholarships towards JUCOS unless absolutely necessary.
Saban has had great success with jucos like Mount Cody and some OL. Especially with linemen getting dinged up so frequently (about half never play a down), I'd still focus on grabbing as many jucos (or transfers) as we could.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Garcia and Trent Brown off OUR LAST line. No, I'm not going back through Bama's roster for you.

You can't be that stupid. Perhaps you are the real Dooley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.