McElwain Vs. Harbaugh Recruiting

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Perhaps he has your number on speed dial, and likes pushing it?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gee, shouldn't the big Harbaugh name have leveled the field against a lesser known guy like MacElwain? I thought it was a given that recruits would be flocking to any school that gets a "big name" high priced coach. At least that's what some have been telling us.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n170956 said:
Garcia and Trent Brown off OUR LAST line. No, I'm not going back through Bama's roster for you.

You can't be that stupid. Perhaps you are the real Dooley.

In relation to what? You backing up your point? You got me there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n171001 said:
Gee, shouldn't the big Harbaugh name have leveled the field against a lesser known guy like MacElwain? I thought it was a given that recruits would be flocking to any school that gets a "big name" high priced coach. At least that's what some have been telling us.

Doesn't bother me one way or another but NEXT year you should see the full weight of both coaches recruiting. Revisit this 1 year from now.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n171007 said:
Doesn't bother me one way or another but NEXT year you should see the full weight of both coaches recruiting. Revisit this 1 year from now.

The point I was making was regarding "big name, big money" being the end all be all that some were pushing. It always ends up coming down to coaching ability. I don't doubt Harbaugh's coaching ability but I don't think it would have been worth breaking the bank in order to have gotten as some keep claiming.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Shannon definitely turned this around. Hated the thought of hiring him but he definitely was worth his weight in gold.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n170702 said:
We wont dip necessarily if we have a huge class. I think we will still be able to take 10 EEs or Jucos plus 25 next year.
I think we'll take a big class next year. But I'm not worried about us dipping . We brought in a solid class, if we wanted to sign 30 players like Tennessee we'd have a top 5 class. That's what some of you guys get confused with rankings. Some schools sign more kids and it moves them up in the rankings.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n171220 said:
Shannon definitely turned this around. Hated the thought of hiring him but he definitely was worth his weight in gold.

I was pretty tired last night (and not going to dispute something I don't know), but I read that Coach Mac got the "close" for 16 out of the 21 recruits. Does that even make sense? Don't remember where I read that. Now obviously Shannon could have swayed all the UF/um battles.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Law98gator;n171220 said:
He was our bag-man?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I think this is a fair discussion. There were a few posters (or maybe trolls) who thought Foley failed by not signing harbaugh to be our coach... and that meathchicken signing harbaugh was PROOF that Foley failed. Some of these same posters stated that harbaugh was crushing it on the recruiting trail with half the time to do it. Now, here we are after NSD and Coach Mac has done a bang up job considering the limited time he's had to recruit, and appears to have out-recruited harbaugh.

This is certainly not an attempt to bash harbaugh. I think he's a great coach and will get meatchicken back on track, unless he secretly wants to return to the NFL sooner than the um faithful are willing to admit. Time will tell...

Dec 10, 2014
CGgater;n171755 said:
I think this is a fair discussion. There were a few posters (or maybe trolls) who thought Foley failed by not signing harbaugh to be our coach... and that meathchicken signing harbaugh was PROOF that Foley failed. Some of these same posters stated that harbaugh was crushing it on the recruiting trail with half the time to do it. Now, here we are after NSD and Coach Mac has done a bang up job considering the limited time he's had to recruit, and appears to have out-recruited harbaugh.

This is certainly not an attempt to bash harbaugh. I think he's a great coach and will get meatchicken back on track, unless he secretly wants to return to the NFL sooner than the um faithful are willing to admit. Time will tell...

If anybody was complaining about Foley not getting Harbaugh, you could just immediately discount their opinion. Was never happening. The better complaint would have been Freeze. And by the way, I think Freeze's recruiting class was right around ours

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
T REX;n170655 said:
Mac had a month start on Harbaugh and our backyard is the most fertile recruiting ground in the country.

Give it 3 years to compare.
Yeah this is the most accurate post. I will say this: The fact of the matter is it doesn't matter to these kids who you are, it matters what you do. Yeah they may score a couple of recruits because it is Jim Harbaugh, but the thought that he would come in an immediately change the recruiting landscape is extremely shortsighted. Mac has shown he knows what is best for UF, and that is to build a fence around the state and keep the athletes home. If we can get to picking who we want out of the state of Florida, Michigan will be an afterthought and we will be a force.

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n170655 said:
Mac had a month start on Harbaugh

Not really

He had basically had a one week head start. Mac had one week then the dead period hit. So as far as the recruiting part goes he really didn't have much of a jump. He did have to to work on the rest of his duties like hiring coaches and evaluation during that time. But supposedly Harbough's name alone (according to many on this board) would cause the recruits to come running in the masses.

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
Gatoravatara;n172573 said:
Mac won hands down.

That was a really good Signing Day by even normal standards. Yes, the class wasn't as great overall by star rankings, but we got some great talent combined with good looking sleepers. AND Mac pulled it off in an extraordinarily short amount of time. Feeling good moving forward.... is it Sept. yet?!

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Let's put it this way... Had Mac finished in the position Harbaugh did in the same amount of time, people here would be calling for Macs head. Mac 1 Harbaugh 0.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n170655 said:
Mac had a month start on Harbaugh and our backyard is the most fertile recruiting ground in the country.

Give it 3 years to compare.

but harbaugh has a way bigger name. Heck , he was coaching in the super bowl a few years ago. He has advantages of his own

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n172253 said:
If anybody was complaining about Foley not getting Harbaugh, you could just immediately discount their opinion. Was never happening. The better complaint would have been Freeze. And by the way, I think Freeze's recruiting class was right around ours
I don't remember anyone saying "Get Harbaugh". I certainly didn't. However, I would have liked to have seen some proven, big name coach. If Bama and Meatchicken can do it, so can we. If he Fooleys it again, we may be a long, long time recovering. Kintucky and Masippi used to win the SEC in the 70s.

That being said, outside of the coordinator hires, I've been happy with what I've seen so far. He certainly orchestrated a big turnaround already with recruiting and landed those OL and backs he needs to try to rebuild the apocalyptic wasteland that Chimp left on offense.

Winning cures everything.

(Losing gets you and your AD fired.)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Caloosahatchee;n172704 said:
That was a really good Signing Day by even normal standards. Yes, the class wasn't as great overall by star rankings, but we got some great talent combined with good looking sleepers.
Chimp grabbed the #9 class recently (which was still like 6th in the SEC) and managed to land essentially nothing but DEs and DBs.

That's the kind of class that kills a team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.