Men in women's sports

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good points all. If we were really to go with a red vs black review, there’d be very few college sports played nationally other than football and men’s basketball - and both sports would probably have a lot fewer teams.

As for what should or shouldn’t happen with regards to spending, it’s a moot discussion as long as Title IX is around.

If I’m hearing you correctly—and I believe I am—you think we should has baseball too and turn the new stadium into an amphitheater or ice skating rink as well. I’d have to see the logistics of the ice skating but I like what I hear so far.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If I’m hearing you correctly—and I believe I am—you think we should has baseball too and turn the new stadium into an amphitheater or ice skating rink as well. I’d have to see the logistics of the ice skating but I like what I hear so far.
You do hear me correctly, but for the ice skating rink to be successful, we’ll have to charge admission; none of this “students get in free” business.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You do hear me correctly, but for the ice skating rink to be successful, we’ll have to charge admission; none of this “students get in free” business.

The Chinese don’t ice skate. Never have. Indians and Arabs? No chance. And we’ll put real grass, not Astro turf, around the edge to keep the(::throatclear::) others out. Student problem solved.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Since this is college athletics we are talking about, I would take the opposite approach. Spin off the "revenue producing" sports into an university unaffiliated corporation with no financial ties to the school or state and fund the others through state appropiations. The purpose of sports on university campuses is to produce leaders, not professional athletes.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Men in women’s shorts just doesn’t mean the same thing anymore

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Everything else, men or women’s, was in the red.
Imagine how much more in the red baseball is now.

It isnt all about making money of course. It is just that any rational athletic dept would try to feed its money maker. I think they take asses in the seats and 150 million in the budget as a given. This year should fix some of that perception.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Useless Factoid #1 Regarding Title IX: I always thought it was just about sports and the number of sanctioned varsity sports, and therefore a "UAA problem" not really tied directly to the University. Whelp, because Elite Daughter is involved in more of it than I would have thought humanely possible... every sexual harassment type claim that involves any students anywhere (including bars) associated with a student organization results in Title IX legal action :facepalm:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
every sexual harassment type claim that involves any students anywhere (including bars) associated with a student organization results in Title IX legal action :facepalm:
Yes. And sweeping these claims under the rug can get the university in far more trouble than adding illegal cream cheese to a bagel.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Imagine how much more in the red baseball is now.

It isnt all about making money of course. It is just that any rational athletic dept would try to feed its money maker. I think they take asses in the seats and 150 million in the budget as a given. This year should fix some of that perception.

I’ve met several people that have let their football season tickets go and have become baseball ticket holders instead. Of course, baseball could never make up for that loss or even handle a fraction of defections from a space standpoint. It’s just interesting to see the shift. And basically the reason stated every time is just a better, less stressful overall experience. So while I don’t think the attendance will simply move to baseball, I do think you’re right, that the UAA has completely taken for granted having good attendance, even sellouts most of the past two years. That’s not going to stay that way. Football games are an all day commitment, all weekend for certain ones. That’s why I’ll continue to say it’s silly to think Stricklin is in such great shape. If or when this season goes south, and he’s presided over four straight losing seasons, and two disastrous hires, with a half empty Swamp, yeah let’s see him survive that.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Useless Factoid #1 Regarding Title IX: I always thought it was just about sports and the number of sanctioned varsity sports, and therefore a "UAA problem" not really tied directly to the University. Whelp, because Elite Daughter is involved in more of it than I would have thought humanely possible... every sexual harassment type claim that involves any students anywhere (including bars) associated with a student organization results in Title IX legal action :facepalm:
Erica Kinsman's lawsuit against FSU concerning the actions of Mr. Crabs triggered a Title IX investigation.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I just don't understand how women have time to play college sports. I mean, how do they manage to break away from the kitchen and laundry rooms long enough to get good at basketball, softball, volleyball, etc.? :dunno:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Erica Kinsman's lawsuit against FSU concerning the actions of Mr. Crabs triggered a Title IX investigation.
Yeah, but that involved two athletes, so I never thought of either of them as "students first." I'm talking about regular students, not associated with athletics at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but that involved two athletes, so I never thought of either of them as "students first." I'm talking about regular students, not associated with athletics at all.
Exactly. Sports is but a small chunk of that.

Im not sure what the university can do regarding a bar in town. I guess we are supposed to immediately kick any male accused of sexual assault out of the university. Several schools have lost cases over that crap.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Im not sure what the university can do regarding a bar in town. I guess we are supposed to immediately kick any male accused of sexual assault out of the university. Several schools have lost cases over that crap.

Shoddy, possibly intoxicated attorney work is most likely the culprit there. It’s more common than you might think.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Exactly. Sports is but a small chunk of that.

Well, in the particular case I'm thinking of that she was involved with (and it is ongoing right now), with this investigation, a lot more came out of the woodwork. Immediately kicked out of the student organization, currently suspended from UF, lost coveted internship this summer due to "it's a small world/word of mouth"... in this case, it sounds like it was a no brainer, but yeah, not sure what happens with pure "she said/he said," but it still costs funds to run it to ground.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Let's face it, if the WNBA was loaded with nothing but hot, heterosexual ladies, viewership might be higher than the NBA.
might?

Pop Tv Questioning GIF by Schitt's Creek

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.