Michael Oher Sues his "Adoptive" Family

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I suspect most of you are already aware of this story, but for those who aren't', here's an article that'll get you up to speed.

To me, this whole story makes very little sense. The family who "adopted" Oher - I put adopted in quotes since he was too old to legally adopt, so they did a conservatorship - the Tuohy's, are accused of basically cheating Oher out of money. The motive seems to be lacking as they are worth quite a bit (like in the hundreds of millions of dollars) and I recall Oher seeming to not be happy how he was portrayed in the movie "The Blind Side," so I can't help wonder if the relationship has somehow deteriorated since the movie came out. I can't help but feel like this is turning into a Colin Kapernick like story where a white family helping out a black kid must somehow be bad and it must be assumed they are exploiting the kid somehow. Hope I'm wrong about that.

In any event, just when I thought the story couldn't get weirder, there are now folks on social media calling for Sandra Bullock to return the Oscar she received for playing Leigh Anne Tuohy in the movie. Forgetting for a moment that none of Oher's allegations have gone beyond just being allegations - i.e. assertions without proof - how in the hell should they suddenly mean Bullock didn't have a great performance in a film?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Oher is going to lose this one, and lose a family that loved him to boot. He made $34.5 million in the NFL.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
GBM - it really is a sad tale and says alot about the hype reactions people see and experience on social media every day. No matter what the truth is, Bullock had nothing to do with any of it. She was hired to play a part, just like everyone else in the movie. People going after her have other motives (racial).

As a Raven fan, I follow Oher a bit. If he was paid funds from the movie, that should be easy to prove for the Tuochy's. Even though he was 18, my understanding it in Tenn he could still have been adpoted. Surely folks with money, like the Touchy's would have consulted with an attorney.

Oher never liked the movie. They did "Hollywood" it up and it made him look like he was stupid. We was actually a highly rated football player in HS and knew the game.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I could see how he didn't like the movie portrayal if he wasn't low IQ and more or less a gentle giant. But there's nothing in that movie that portrays him in any way other than a wonderful kid who would go to the end of the earth to protect the people he loved. Hard for me to imagine how that portrayal has led to this, even if it wasn't entirely accurate.

On the flip side, things also depend on when the supposed adoption thing occurred. Was he 18 and not eligible for adoption? If so, ok, but then what's the reason for doing anything at all? If he was 16, then why the conservatorship and not formal adoption? There are certainly some questions that at least on the surface would justify some concern based upon the real answers.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Their lawyer told TMZ Sports Oher was instead the principal offender who has repeatedly threatened to “plant a negative story” about the Tuohys in the press if they didn’t cough up an eight-figure check.

“Over the years, the Tuohys have given Mr. Oher an equal cut of every penny received from ‘The Blind Side,’” attorney Marty Singer said.

“Even recently, when Mr. Oher started to threaten them about what he would do unless they paid him an eight-figure windfall, and, as part of that shakedown effort refused to cash the small profit checks from the Tuohys, they still deposited Mr. Oher’s equal share into a trust account they set up for his son.”

Singer alleged Oher had been dropped as a client by other lawyers, but “has finally found a willing enabler and filed this ludicrous lawsuit as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour.”

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I guess I could see how he didn't like the movie portrayal if he wasn't low IQ and more or less a gentle giant. But there's nothing in that movie that portrays him in any way other than a wonderful kid who would go to the end of the earth to protect the people he loved. Hard for me to imagine how that portrayal has led to this, even if it wasn't entirely accurate.

On the flip side, things also depend on when the supposed adoption thing occurred. Was he 18 and not eligible for adoption? If so, ok, but then what's the reason for doing anything at all? If he was 16, then why the conservatorship and not formal adoption. There are certainly some questions that at least on the surface would justify some concern based upon the real answers.
One of his big complaints was that in the movie they made it look like he didn't know football. Especially when Mrs Touchy was explaining to him how to protect the QB. He said it made him look dumb. He knew football and how to play it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Their lawyer told TMZ Sports Oher was instead the principal offender who has repeatedly threatened to “plant a negative story” about the Tuohys in the press if they didn’t cough up an eight-figure check.

“Over the years, the Tuohys have given Mr. Oher an equal cut of every penny received from ‘The Blind Side,’” attorney Marty Singer said.

“Even recently, when Mr. Oher started to threaten them about what he would do unless they paid him an eight-figure windfall, and, as part of that shakedown effort refused to cash the small profit checks from the Tuohys, they still deposited Mr. Oher’s equal share into a trust account they set up for his son.”

Singer alleged Oher had been dropped as a client by other lawyers, but “has finally found a willing enabler and filed this ludicrous lawsuit as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour.”

Yeesh. The whole thing is just sad all around.

On another note, would absolutely pee...

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I totally get how he would get ridiculed in the locker room after how his character portrayed in the film.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I totally get how he would get ridiculed in the locker room after how his character portrayed in the film.
I get that, but develop a thick skin and laugh it off with "Hey, that's Hollywood." Instead the whole thing has left him butt hurt.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The movie came out in 2009.

Why a lawsuit 14 years later?

Why a lawsuit the week following his book release?

Screenshot_20230816_170500_Google.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This case is completely black and white. Contracts were signed, and whether or not Oher was paid from that contract is easily proven. I'm sure he's been paid every dime he's contractually owed.

Evidently, what he's trying do is show that he was somehow "tricked" or coerced into signing that contract. There's no way this holds up.

I hope it was worth burning this bridge for him. Without these people, he almost certainly doesn't rise to making tens of millions of dollars in the NFL - which I'm guessing by this lawsuit is likely long gone. His releasing of a book at the same time as this lawsuit also screams a dooshbag move for attention.

Oher looks really bad here.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This case is completely black and white. Contracts were signed, and whether or not Oher was paid from that contract is easily proven. I'm sure he's been paid every dime he's contractually owed.

Evidently, what he's trying do is show that he was somehow "tricked" or coerced into signing that contract. There's no way this holds up.

I hope it was worth burning this bridge for him. Without these people, he almost certainly doesn't rise to making tens of millions of dollars in the NFL - which I'm guessing by this lawsuit is likely long gone. His releasing of a book at the same time as this lawsuit also screams a dooshbag move for attention.

Oher looks really bad here.
Just look at the title of his new book. Lifetime of adversity my ass. Crybabies gonna cry.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
to increase book sales.

Thank God we have Tom around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics