Mullen getting creative in recruiting

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
brought us the last two SEC East trophies we'll be seeing in awhile.
Where are those SEC East trophies? Ive never seen the commish give out SEC East trophies.

I must have not been paying attention.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BOTH Machen and Foley hired Meyer. Fact. You know Meyer was a great hire so you say Foley was not involved but fact is he was very involved. It is normal in the SEC for BOTH the President and AD to both be involved in the football coach hire.

Be accurate. It is demonstrable that Foley was very involved in the hiring of Meyer.
You don't pay attention very well. I've replied to that theory countless times by pointing out Foley did as Foley was instructed to do.

Your so-called facts have never established anything to the contrary.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Where are those SEC East trophies? Ive never seen the commish give out SEC East trophies.

I must have not been paying attention.
Says the poster who claimed UF pays twice Saban's salary for coach buyout and new coach salary when in fact UF paid less than Bama in 2017 and will pay less in 2019. We paid slightly more in 2018 with a lump sum payment to Mac but no where near double what Bama paid.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
You don't pay attention very well. I've replied to that theory countless times by pointing out Foley did as Foley was instructed to do.

Your so-called facts have never established anything to the contrary.
Says Mr. "I see nothing".

All ADs have to follow what they are instructed to do by the President who makes the final call. The President is their boss. The AD's job is to recruit the new head coach which Foley in fact did. Foley bringing in his hire of Donovan and his wife to sell Meyer as an example helped recruit Meyer. Just like a football coach's job is to recruit players it is the ADS's job to recruit the head coach.

You being Mr. " I see nothing" will ignore the common fact that the AD's job is to recruit the head coach.

Just like President's sometimes help in recruiting players and head coaches it is not their primary job responsibility.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All ADs have to follow what they are instructed to do by the President who makes the final call. The President is their boss. The AD's job is to recruit the new head coach which Foley in fact did. Foley bringing in his hire of Donovan and his wife to sell Meyer as an example helped recruit Meyer. Just like a football coach's job is to recruit players it is the ADS's job to recruit the head coach.

You being Mr. " I see nothing" will ignore the common fact that the AD's job is to recruit the head coach.
The timeline would put Machen in the position of recommending McElwain to Foley. Uhhhhhh, no.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
The timeline would put Machen in the position of recommending McElwain to Foley. Uhhhhhh, no.
So what. Machen worked with Meyer and said he was a good coach. That does not mean Machen is the only one who recruited Meyer they BOTH did.

Machen did not work with Mac so I doubt he put in a good word as he did not know Mac. Foley screwed up on the Mac hire but he has nailed other hires to.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So what. Machen worked with Meyer and said he was a good coach. That does not mean Machen is the only one who recruited Meyer they BOTH did.
I like Machen's prospects alone better than Foley's.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I like Machen's prospects alone better than Foley's.
Machen's prospects are very limited as I believe Meyer was the only good football head coach he worked with prior to UF.

FYI UF's AAU board also has input of who we are looking at and they send the AD out to recruit the potential coaches.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Machen's prospects are very limited as I believe Meyer was the only good football head coach he worked with prior to UF.
So what? All that mattered was his influence in getting Meyer to follow him to Florida. He was in the perfect position to do so.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
So what? All that mattered was his influence in getting Meyer to follow him to Florida. He was in the perfect position to do so.
If you think Meyer only does what Machen tells him to do you are sadly mistaken.

Meyer had to be sold and Foley was charged with selling him. Notre Dame is just as influential as UF and has more money and they were fully involved in Meyer's recruitment. Urban is named after a pope. Our Catholic head hoops coach that Foley hired was a factor whether Mr "I see nothing" will admit it or not.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you think Meyer only does what Machen tells him to do you are sadly mistaken. Meyer had to be sold and Foley was charged with selling him. Notre Dame is just as influential as UF and has more money and they were fully involved in Meyer's recruitment.
I said influence, not authority over. Machen was obviously in no position to tell Meyer what to do. Quit moving the goal posts.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I said influence, not authority over. Machen was obviously in no position to tell Meyer what to do. Quit moving the goal posts.
Foley recruited Meyer heavily. You have no proof to the opposite. Machen helped but was not alone in the recruitment of Meyer which you falsely claim without proof.Knowing someone is only part of the recruitment.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/595112173/How-Florida-ended-up-landing-Urban-Meyer.html

"Earlier that Tuesday, Foley met with Machen, who had been kept informed about the search but had yet to speak to Meyer about the job. "

"Meyer wanted to know about Foley and UF; Foley wanted to know about Meyer's philosophies on offense, defense, assistant coaches, weight training and discipline."

"Meyer said his wife, Shelley, wanted to know more about Gainesville.

Foley turned to a strong recruiter named Donovan. Not Billy, the Florida basketball coach, but his wife, Christine. "

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Foley and Meyer didn’t even meet in person until the introductory press conference.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Foley and Meyer didn’t even meet in person until the introductory press conference.
I know you are kidding but 78 probably would buy that to fit his unbacked opinion.

"Earlier that Tuesday, Foley met with Machen, who had been kept informed about the search but had yet to speak to Meyer about the job. Foley told Machen that Meyer was the coach he wanted to hire. Machen agreed and told him to pursue the Utah coach."

"As they sat at a table, Meyer told Foley, "I'm close to walking across this room to shake your hand."

He had a few more questions, none of them about money. After 45 minutes, Meyer looked at his wife, got up and walked to Foley with his hand extended. Florida had a new football coach."

"Foley and McGarity returned to Gainesville on Friday evening. On Dec. 6, the Florida athletic director took one more flight to Salt Lake City. This time, he came back with more than jet lag.

He came back with his Urban hire."

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Everyone Foley hired (Machen hired Meyer) was a transition coach. We're still trying to figure out where we were transitioning to.
"Foley and McGarity returned to Gainesville on Friday evening. On Dec. 6, the Florida athletic director took one more flight to Salt Lake City. This time, he came back with more than jet lag.

He came back with his Urban hire."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Foley recruited Meyer heavily. You have no proof to the opposite. Machen helped but was not alone in the recruitment of Meyer which you falsely claim without proof.Knowing someone is only part of the recruitment.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/595112173/How-Florida-ended-up-landing-Urban-Meyer.html

"Earlier that Tuesday, Foley met with Machen, who had been kept informed about the search but had yet to speak to Meyer about the job. "

"Meyer wanted to know about Foley and UF; Foley wanted to know about Meyer's philosophies on offense, defense, assistant coaches, weight training and discipline."

"Meyer said his wife, Shelley, wanted to know more about Gainesville.

Foley turned to a strong recruiter named Donovan. Not Billy, the Florida basketball coach, but his wife, Christine. "
JM 101. Attribution. Dooley neither cites the source nor reveals the basis for his story. We are left to imagine him regurgitating the previous night's dream.

We know this can't be accurate because Dooley has Foley asking Meyer about his philosophy on weight training. A decade later, Foley forgot to ask the same question.

Unimpressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.