Mullen Introductory Press Conference Thread: 3 PM EST

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
State winning the SEC would be like Iowa State winning the Big 12. They put their foot down a few times but would never be able to complete the march. Plus, Campbell just got a long extension for losing 5 games in what some of you would call a second rate Big 12. He just got a 6 year extension and is a career 3-9 in bowl games. You can only do so much with what you've got.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, I'm not trying to suggest Richt is some great coach, not by a long shot. But he was the right hire and energized their team and fanbase which in turn has lead to immediate results. The fact that they have an outside shot at the playoffs and a worst case of a New Years six bowl game is pretty remarkable. I do expect them to finish on a 3 game losing streak because Clemson and whoever they face in their bowl game are going to be significantly more talented than them.

But the point is it shows you how important it is to make the right hire, and when you do how quickly you can see results. I don't think any of us can honestly say this feels like the right hire or one that excites our fans or threatens our foes. You generally know when you've made a great hire, like when we got SOS or Meyer. Everyone was on board and you could feel the momentum immediately. And the results came almost immediately. That's why when people start singing the "he needs more time to bring in his guys" even though he's already in his 3rd year, you know it's over.

Ask yourself, does this hire feel more like SOS and Urban or more like Zook and Chump? I think if people are being honest with themselves they know this feels like a bad hire that will never amount to anything but more wasted years, but they're trying to turn it positive because the only other choice is to be a dumper (like me) or just give up on something you obviously are invested in.

On that first point, yeah I wasn't saying you thought Richt is some great coach. I was just dismissing the idea that a cane fan is talking about DM when they have arguably the most egregious underachiever of the modern era. And while it's fashionable to point out this is his 2nd year and just imagine how great he'll be when he gets all his players, we heard all of that in 2002, and in the 13 seasons that followed, he never exceeded or even matched that year's success.

I agree wholeheartedly on the second bold point. He didn't seem to go that direction at all in his opening remarks. It's overlooked that the modification of our offense was after week 5 or 6 of his first year here. We ended 2005 on a tear and looked completely different on offense, despite having the same cast of players. He has already created energy because he actually is highly regarded nationally. Did you see Auburn's opening TD Saturday? That was invented in 2006 by Mullen and Tebow, as was the step-forward-then-back-and throw(self play action) that you see from Cam Newton, Prescott and others in the NFL. Recruiting is already picking up and I expect it to continue.

To the last point, I know we're just going to have differing opinions which is fine. But I don't know how it feels exactly. I didn't like WM at all, but many of the ones complaining here were thrilled at his hiring and switching our offense away from the Mullen/Meyer styles, which led us to where we are today. So I think initial feelings are somewhat meaningless. I felt great with UM, felt a bit uneasy with JM, and don't really remember Spurrier. But I feel like while it's not the sexy name, we didn't get it wrong either.

A simple way of looking at it is that after CK and Frost, who weren't coming, the step down was to guys like Mullen, Strong, Norvell and Taggart. For all the talk about his SEC record, consider that he faced the eventual NC winner in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, and possibly this year. He faced the national runner up in 2011, 2013, 2016 and possibly this year. Take each one of those guys and put them as a first time HC at Msu over the past 9 years. Do you think any of those names do better or even the same as he did? In my eyes, it's no, with Norvell being inconclusive. That makes me feel like we got the best option at that point.

Any way, we're beyond that and I see you're on board. Let's hope for the best. Go Gators.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Screw it, I'm on board, I just needed to vent longer than most. No amount of b!tching is going to change the fact that, like it or not, he's now our coach. So lets see what Mullen and staff can do on the recruiting trail as his first test.

If I am predicting success or failure I think his record tells you which is much more likely, but here's his chance to see if he can prove us wrong, prove his record was a function of location not ability.
sunshine.gif
Pump it, bro!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
On that first point, yeah I wasn't saying you thought Richt is some great coach. I was just dismissing the idea that a cane fan is talking about DM when they have arguably the most egregious underachiever of the modern era. And while it's fashionable to point out this is his 2nd year and just imagine how great he'll be when he gets all his players, we heard all of that in 2002, and in the 13 seasons that followed, he never exceeded or even matched that year's success.

I agree wholeheartedly on the second bold point. He didn't seem to go that direction at all in his opening remarks. It's overlooked that the modification of our offense was after week 5 or 6 of his first year here. We ended 2005 on a tear and looked completely different on offense, despite having the same cast of players. He has already created energy because he actually is highly regarded nationally. Did you see Auburn's opening TD Saturday? That was invented in 2006 by Mullen and Tebow, as was the step-forward-then-back-and throw(self play action) that you see from Cam Newton, Prescott and others in the NFL. Recruiting is already picking up and I expect it to continue.

To the last point, I know we're just going to have differing opinions which is fine. But I don't know how it feels exactly. I didn't like WM at all, but many of the ones complaining here were thrilled at his hiring and switching our offense away from the Mullen/Meyer styles, which led us to where we are today. So I think initial feelings are somewhat meaningless. I felt great with UM, felt a bit uneasy with JM, and don't really remember Spurrier. But I feel like while it's not the sexy name, we didn't get it wrong either.

A simple way of looking at it is that after CK and Frost, who weren't coming, the step down was to guys like Mullen, Strong, Norvell and Taggart. For all the talk about his SEC record, consider that he faced the eventual NC winner in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, and possibly this year. He faced the national runner up in 2011, 2013, 2016 and possibly this year. Take each one of those guys and put them as a first time HC at Msu over the past 9 years. Do you think any of those names do better or even the same as he did? In my eyes, it's no, with Norvell being inconclusive. That makes me feel like we got the best option at that point.

Any way, we're beyond that and I see you're on board. Let's hope for the best. Go Gators.

That's too bad. It was the most exciting hire we ever made. He had already done the USFL thing and was killing it at Duke in only a short stint, then when it was announced he was coming home we knew we were finally going to start living up our potential as the sleeping giant in the SEC.

The only sticky thing was we had the greatest RB in Gator history on the team, but everyone knew we were going to be a passing team rather than Emmitt's team and Emmitt openly made it known he wasn't crazy about the hire (even though Emmitt would have done great in Spurrier's offense). Sure enough Emmitt left for the NFL, and the rest was history for both SOS and Smith. In hindsight if ES hadn't gone when he did he probably wouldn't have ended up on Cowboys, and who knows how his career or their dynasty would have changed.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Emmitt would have killed it with Spurrier that year. Absolutely killed it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well this was not a fun thread to read. Maybe message boards aren’t for me, because I feel like I need a shower after reading 9 pages of emotional vomit from really angry strangers. I dont’ know the story behind cousin Eddie, but I’m pretty sure that Mullet is a term that should only be used for Gundy.

Gator football has turned a page. It’s a new chapter. I don’t presume a damn thing about what will happen. But I’m pretty sure our new coach is going to sit in recruits’ living rooms with an NC ring on his finger face to face with young men who grew up watching Tebow, Leaks, Harvin, Sikes, Pounceys, etc. etc. That seems like a good thing.

I’m a pumper for at least the next 278 days when we get our first look at a Mullen team. I just can’t lose my sh!t over things I can’t control.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
I loved this post

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was referring to the last part. The prayer.
Anyhow, alot of guys claim their highschool on monday night football. Its really not that big a deal.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
I liked what Mullen said about recruiting. He understands we have to amass as much talent as possible on both sides of the ball, which was the opposite approach of our last two coaches. It's ultimately the talent that carries you to consistent success.

This hire doesn't have the excitement value that Spurrier or Meyer did, but he's a pretty solid coach and a significant upgrade over the last two dull hires.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
From what I remember from Emmitt's too-soon, Cowboys inspired autobiography, Spurrier did not beg Emmitt to stay or make any kind of extra effort to keep him here -- Emmitt was ready, so screw it, let's go pro.

But before anyone thinks that Spurrier caused any ill will with Emmitt, there he was in '91 running all over the place with the Gators flag after the game against FSU (14-9). Anyway, thanks to Oxrageous for reminding me of that anecdote in Emmitt's book.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
From what I remember from Emmitt's too-soon, Cowboys inspired autobiography, Spurrier did not beg Emmitt to stay or make any kind of extra effort to keep him here -- Emmitt was ready, so screw it, let's go pro.

But before anyone thinks that Spurrier caused any ill will with Emmitt, there he was in '91 running all over the place with the Gators flag after the game against FSU (14-9). Anyway, thanks to Oxrageous for reminding me of that anecdote in Emmitt's book.

This. I think I've heard Emmitt say he didn't stay because he wasn't asked. Spurrier, on the other hand, has always openly said that if a player is ready for the pros then he should go.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Does this feel like the Meyer or Spurrier hires to me? No. Spurrier was a huge deal to US but an 8-4 Duke coach wasn’t the big hot thing nationally. I was elated and bought season tickets which I kept for 24 years until a job change made them useless for us. Then that first OK State game - and I knew my world had changed for the better. (Just remember he got blown out at Ut a few weeks later and at F$U. Richard Fain is still looking for Lawrence Dawsey.)

Meyer was, obviously the right person at the right place at the right time. And we wondered if he would choose us over Notre Dame. 8-5 his first year.

Does this feel like Muschamp or Mac? No, because we know him. Some of that is good, some isn’t. But he seems to have changed for the better in 8 years. That said, this feels far better to me than either of those. He has HC experience, glorious success here, developed great QBs, etc.

And it feels NOTHING like Zook, a formerly demoted assistant who was a nice guy but a babbling goof clearly in over his head from day #1.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

He would have. Not sure that would have made a huge difference in the Ut blowout but we would have had a much better chance of beating F$U (how about no Willie MacClendon fumble on the opening drive?!?) But no SEC, no bowl regardless of what more was accomplished that year.

And things worked out wonderfully for Emmitt. Had he gone higher the next year would he hold the all time NFL rushing record, Super Bowl rings and be in the Hall of Fame? Or would he have toiled in relative obscurity with the Cardinals or Browns, playing great on lousy teams?

Happy for him, happy for us in 1990.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Ask yourself, does this hire feel more like SOS and Urban or more like Zook and Chump? I think if people are being honest with themselves they know this feels like a bad hire that will never amount to anything but more wasted years, but they're trying to turn it positive because the only other choice is to be a dumper (like me) or just give up on something you obviously are invested in.

I don't feel that way. I was absolutely LIVID over the Muschamp hire in 2010. I called Foley an incompetent idiot for not going after Chris Petersen and... heh, well, Dan Mullen. in 2014, I was baffled by the McElwain hire. Sure, he was modestly successful as a G5 HC at that point, but in what world did he look worth a $7.5M buyout?

I am a little let down that we ended up with Dan Mullen instead of Scott Frost. But I am also very comfortable with the hire. I am neither baffled nor angry. Mullen is a youngish coach (45) with 9 years of surprisingly successful head coaching experience, taking a perennial bottom feeder in the toughest division of the toughest conference to a consistently middle-pack team. In fact, before Mullen was hired, I told a Miss St friend that Mullen reminded me a lot of Mike Bellotti at Oregon.

Mullen isn't a Saban or Meyer level coach. But I think he will be a Richt level coach, someone who will stabilize and turn around Florida and return us to a nationally prominent, top 10-15, 9-11+ win team on a yearly basis. He won't make us Alabama East, but let's face it: we are on a knife's edge, just one more bad hire away from being a Tennessee level dumpster fire. Dan Mullen will save us from that fate.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I don't feel that way. I was absolutely LIVID over the Muschamp hire in 2010. I called Foley an incompetent idiot for not going after Chris Petersen and... heh, well, Dan Mullen. in 2014, I was baffled by the McElwain hire. Sure, he was modestly successful as a G5 HC at that point, but in what world did he look worth a $7.5M buyout?

I am a little let down that we ended up with Dan Mullen instead of Scott Frost. But I am also very comfortable with the hire. I am neither baffled nor angry. Mullen is a youngish coach (45) with 9 years of surprisingly successful head coaching experience, taking a perennial bottom feeder in the toughest division of the toughest conference to a consistently middle-pack team. In fact, before Mullen was hired, I told a Miss St friend that Mullen reminded me a lot of Mike Bellotti at Oregon.

Mullen isn't a Saban or Meyer level coach. But I think he will be a Richt level coach, someone who will stabilize and turn around Florida and return us to a nationally prominent, top 10-15, 9-11+ win team on a yearly basis. He won't make us Alabama East, but let's face it: we are on a knife's edge, just one more bad hire away from being a Tennessee level dumpster fire. Dan Mullen will save us from that fate.

This is based on you wishing it the will be the case, or what? There is nothing in his record that would support that as a given so it just sounds like sunshine pumping honestly.

I'd say he will either do those things you mention, or he'll be more of a 6-9 win a year coach and get fired after 3-4 years. I have no idea which. His record says the latter, but maybe recruiting can make us a yearly double digit winner. Time will tell.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Agree, but he wasn't crazy about the hire and was worried that losing his carries could hurt his stock, so made the greatest decision of his life and entered the draft.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
This is based on you wishing it the will be the case, or what? There is nothing in his record that would support that as a given so it just sounds like sunshine pumping honestly.

I'd say he will either do those things you mention, or he'll be more of a 6-9 win a year coach and get fired after 3-4 years. I have no idea which. His record says the latter, but maybe recruiting can make us a yearly double digit winner. Time will tell.

It's a prediction that can't be proven, of course, only tested when we see how the seasons unfold. But yeah, in his 9 years there he took basically a Kentucky level team to 2x 7, 2x 8, 2x 9, and 1x 10 win seasons in the SEC West for crying out loud. I believe a coach who can take MSU to 7+ win seasons year in, year out can take Florida to 9+ win seasons year in, year out, with our better resources, better recruits, and an easier division.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It's a prediction that can't be proven, of course, only tested when we see how the seasons unfold. But yeah, in his 9 years there he took basically a Kentucky level team to 2x 7, 2x 8, 2x 9, and 1x 10 win seasons in the SEC West for crying out loud. I believe a coach who can take MSU to 7+ win seasons year in, year out can take Florida to 9+ win seasons year in, year out, with our better resources, better recruits, and an easier division.
9 wins year in and year out will get him fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.