Mullen Introductory Press Conference Thread: 3 PM EST

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Kelly's presser:
Visions of CK on a surfboard kept intruding.
Media folks applauded his answers - especially about John Wooden.
I did get nauseous at his saying the word Mac too often.
Got away with saying he just wanted to continue what Jim Mora was doing... oh Chip, that's the guy they just fired.
He said he'd trust his gut -- that's a bulge of trust he's bringing.
He bragged that the PAC-12 was elite.
Be fun next year to weekly compare Kelly v Mullen offenses & QB development.
His departing Oregon with that NCAA cloud rolling in was discussed & he said stuff about integrity being him.
Looked so pasty white ... good thing UCLA's facilities include several spray-tan booths - even a group one.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Most of you know how I feel about Cousin Eddie. I think the presser went well, overall. Lots of coach-speak that most of us expected, and a jubilant outlook that pushed away his usual arrogant nature, that most probably didn't expect. Of course, $6 million helps anyone gain a new perspective.

For me, the most impressive aspect of his presser was how much praise and respect he gave to the Head Ball Coach. Spurrier is more than just a legendary coach, or an icon. For most of us, he is the living embodiment of everything we love about UF. I don't know if it was all an act for the presser, but it seemed genuine and sincere. That means a lot to me. It was nothing at all like the way Butters, Muschamp, or even Meyer seemed whenever Spurrier's name would come up.

I'll stop my b!+ching and moaning for now. I know what I've seen from Mullen, and I know what to expect. Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised on signing day, and when we kick off next season. If so, I'll gladly own it.

Until then, Go Gators.

Florida+Urban+Meyer+spin+wheel+playbook.png

I liked that part of it too, especially remembering how he got sideways with Shane early on in 2005 with a snotty, cocky retort when asked about Spurrier’s high octane offense at UF. He even noted Shane in the audience too.

That and the presser overall made me think about how much I’ve changed in the last 8 years and how much I changed between 37-45. Maybe he has matured a bit over that time in helpful ways. Maybe not, but I’m watching that aspect of it.

And if he was a bad recruiter at UF, I hope he’s got the sense to surround himself with people who offset his weaknesses. That’s a big plus in leadership.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Heard the same about Mac. Look what he did at CSU. This theory that he will automatically do better at UF is insane.
It is insane, you just made my point. It's asinine for people to say Norvell, Campbell, Frost, Kelly, Taggert, etc. would kill it with Florida's talent, but it will be a dumpster fire under Mullen. It's an idiotic metric that carries zero weight.

Mullen couldn't beat the good teams on the schedule. He was 2-15 when ranked vs ranked opponents. I;m sure you'll find a way to rationalize that as well.
The "good" ranked teams on his schedule either won or participated in every National Championship game since Mullen was at MSU. But you're right, it's silly to rationalize this stat because it too isn't necessarily representative of how Mullen will perform at FL. I honestly couldn't give two sh!ts about his past, I care what Mullen does starting 36 hours ago.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
WTF? You don't care he was 4-29 vs ranked teams? Why not?

This goes back to we could've hired Dahmer and some of you would say the same thing.

Not many people here are thrilled about the situation. That being said, it is what it is. Like it or not. Mullen is the HC of the gators and will be for years to come.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016

This goes back to we could've hired Dahmer and some of you would say the same thing.

Some of us don't like to live in a never ending shame spiral based off of results that we have not see yet.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016

I want Don Shula to come out of retirement and I want it NOW!!!!!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I want Don Shula to come out of retirement and I want it NOW!!!!!

I don't understand but you win. It's a great hire. The eternal optimists have worn me down.

I love this hire. Mullen is going to bring us titles...lots and lots of titles.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I don't understand but you win. It's a great hire. The eternal optimists have worn me down.

I love this hire. Mullen is going to bring us titles...lots and lots of titles.

How about this.....change the fact that Mullen is our coach and then let us know when thats done.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I'll repeat myself; I could not care less about this stat. You know why? Because you can't justify (outside of your gut feeling or emotions) how this stat is any indicator of whether or not Mullen will be a success or failure at Florida. I'm not going to fixate on a single data point that won't dictate future outcomes.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Because as they say in investing "past performance is not a great indicator of future performance"

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Because as they say in investing "past performance is not a great indicator of future performance"

I guess you're right. We have to hit on one of these coaches eventually.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I guess you're right. We have to hit on one of these coaches eventually.

Not really what I meant, that would be assuming something that really nobody knows about.

To be specific, we should be able to get a much different set of players than MSU, he should have a different staff, and perhaps he has learned something over the years.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Screw it, I'm on board, I just needed to vent longer than most. No amount of b!tching is going to change the fact that, like it or not, he's now our coach. So lets see what Mullen and staff can do on the recruiting trail as his first test.

If I am predicting success or failure I think his record tells you which is much more likely, but here's his chance to see if he can prove us wrong, prove his record was a function of location not ability.
:yes: Another Conversion!!!! Welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator