I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
scvRF6.gif

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Old SOS would be talking about how the coaches didn’t put the players into the position to succeed and that they needed to coach them up and get the right players in the right positions...

hmmmmm

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I can somewhat appreciate him wanting to stand up for the D players, but the sad fact is that Ol’ Miss is the best O we’ve faced. USCe was better prepared than they were good, I believe. TAMU was probably better than USCe and their run game was the best of the three opponents.

We’ve given up 993 total passing yds, 492 total rushing yds (1485 total for an avg of 495 / game) and allowed 86 first downs. Opponents are converting 58.7% on third down and 75.0% on fourth). Bottom line is that you can beat the weak sisters, with our offense, giving up an average of roughly 500 / game. But the better offensive teams are a toss up using this small sample size (almost 1/3 of the season) and we are 1-1 in those games at this point. What will happen if we get to play UGA, arguably the strongest D we would face at that point?

We are severely unbalanced, so much so that despite the abilities (or shortcomings) of the D staff, there is imo only so much immediate improvement that can be made. Certainly we can improve individual and team tackling. Coverage can get better, but will probably be slower. It is improbable for them to get bigger and stronger in-season.

Playing it back, much of the fault is in defensive recruiting targets and misses, but some question surrounds whether Grantham was overruled on specific recruiting targets (Mullen’s error), whether he was in error on his targets, and / or whether he was lax in his efforts? However it is, there is obviously new strategy and effort necessary.

All very valid points, but the last thing most us who follow the Gators want to hear is the continuous, incessant open mouth, insert foot. It is so freaking ponderous b/c it has become the norm there. Look, I think Farmer Fran is an awful head coach and maybe he caught lightning in a bottle With the CoonAzzes last year. But this year, LSPew has been just that, total dogshyt. So what does Farmer Fran say publicly? "Embarrassing, Unacceptable and it is on me and we will try and fix it". Farmer Fran says he wants to simplify things on D. Will it work, who knows but my guess is they will look like the 86 Bears D this Sat. if the game is played. Even if they don;t at least he did not go on some diatribe about lack of practice, lack of hitting, the offenses we have played are the Rams teams of Faulk, Bruce, Holt and Warner. Give it a rest Cousin Eddie. The only thing worse than being a shytty coach is being a shytty coach who constantly spews excuse after excuse! See Butters, Hee Haw!

:mac::butters:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You do realize that coach O sounds exactly like Chump right?

As ****ty as muschamp is, at least he tried different OCs, Mullen is looking more McElwain, to stubborn and too 'right' to fix what anyone with a pair of eye balls could see has been broken since 2018.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
As ****ty as muschamp is, at least he tried different OCs, Mullen is looking more McElwain, to stubborn and too 'right' to fix what anyone with a pair of eye balls could see has been broken since 2018.

****ty management is just that...no matter how much “effort” is put in

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
****ty management is just that...no matter how much “effort” is put in

Mullen is 10x the coach Chump will ever be, but he is half the manager Chump is. You have to be both to succeed at the top level.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s always mentioned how big a job like UF is, and how some aren’t cut out for it. But it’s usually painted as more about the pressure to win, the competition, etc. What rarely gets mentioned is the willingness to take heat and having the thickness of skin required to keep your focus, supremely confident in your overall vision. I think back to the heat Meyer took after games like Ala and Lsu In 2005. Even worse was the loss, and specifically the way we lost to Spurrier of all people in that first game. He never wavered. It simply rolled off his back.

To me, that’s the biggest issue the last 2 guys had. They tried. They obviously wanted to succeed. And there were likely times when the UF faithful was largely too critical. But rather than respecting the passion, knowing that ultimately we all want the same thing, and recognizing that if they just keep their heads down they just might get it, they instead bucked things. Rather than understanding and addressing weaknesses or failures, they saw the notion as insulting and dug in harder. And that, more than actually anything X’s and O’s related, became their undoing.

Mullen made a bad call with a DC that was almost literally the last person available that his fan base wanted. We’re in a terrible spot as a result. Ok. The offense has seen strides. The OC nod, development of skill positions, etc have all been great. Likewise, Saturday was dreadful. Guess what? Spurrier was crushed by Msu on several occasions. Meyer missed a chance at Atlanta and maybe an SEC crown because we had too many men on the field on one of his specialty(ST’s) plays. It happens. But they didn’t cave when the insults and questioning began. Mullen never should’ve opened up the crowd can. The loss sucked and it’s probably a sign of a tough year because of the defense. He needs to own things, focus on the positives and what he originally wanted here, put his head down and get to work. Anything other than that and he’s all but making the case that he’s just as weak minded as the last two and has no future here. For everyone’s sake, I hope that’s not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.