Mullen's SEC Record

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I honestly didn't think it could get any worse when I read about his overall conference record, record against ranked opponents, and record ranked vs ranked and then I came across this doozy.

Two wins in 9 years against SEC teams with a winning conference record, 2015 Arkansas and 2017 LSU.

2009 SEC WINS
Vandy (0-8 SEC), Kentucky (3-5 SEC), Ole Miss (4-4 SEC)
Also beat Jackson State and Mid Tenn St

2010 SEC WINS
UGA (3-5), Florida (4-4), Kentucky (2-6), Ole Miss (1-7)
Also beat Memphis, Alcorn State, Houston, UAB, and Michigan (bowl)

2011 SEC WINS
Kentucky (2-6), Ole Miss (0-8)
Also beat Memphis, Louisiana Tech, UAB, Tennessee Martin, Wake Forest (bowl)

2012 SEC WINS
Auburn (0-8), Kentucky (0-8), Tennessee (1-7), Arkansas (2-6)
Also beat Jackson State, Troy, South Alabama, Mid Tenn St

2013 SEC WINS
Kentucky (0-8), Arkansas (0-8), Ole Miss (3-5)
Also beat Alcorn State, Troy, Bowling Green, Rice (bowl)

2014 SEC WINS
LSU (4-4), Texas A&M (3-5), Auburn (4-4), Kentucky (2-6), Arkansas (2-6), Vanderbilt (0-8)
Also beat Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, Tennessee Martin

2015 SEC WINS
Auburn (2-6), Kentucky (2-6), Missouri (1-7), Arkansas (5-3)
Southern Miss, Northwestern State, Troy, Louisiana Tech, NC State (bowl)

2016 SEC WINS
South Carolina (3-5), Texas A&M (4-4), Ole Miss (2-6)
Also beat Massachusetts, Samford, Miami-Ohio

2017 SEC WINS
LSU (6-2), Kentucky (4-4), Texas A&M (4-4), Arkansas (1-7)
Also beat Charleston Southern, Louisiana Tech, BYU, Massachusetts

SEC TEAMS THAT DAN MULLEN BEAT ARE A COMBINED 74-196 IN SEC PLAY

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
He's gonna find a way to get it done. He knows he needs top ten recruiting classes to compete. He plans on getting them. We'll see.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
LOL. Can't hide from that garbage. But his presser was so and so. He's a Gator now so we'll make excuses for all his failures. Saban or Meyer couldn't have done any better(sound familiar?).

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LOL. Can't hide from that garbage. But his presser was so and so. He's a Gator now so we'll make excuses for all his failures. Saban or Meyer couldn't have done any better(sound familiar?).
Is it your mission in life to make everybody as miserable as you are? Seriously.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Is it your mission in life to make everybody as miserable as you are? Seriously.

Tell me you don't see the same thing and I'll shut up. If you tell me that the above is impressive I'll slow it down. You swear it on your honor which I am sure you have a lot of...swear it and I'll shut up for a bit.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tell me you don't see the same thing and I'll shut up. If you tell me that the above is impressive I'll slow it down. You swear it on your honor which I am sure you have a lot of...swear it and I'll shut up for a bit.
Is his record impressive? Well that depends on if all you want to look at is the bad stuff while making every excuse in the book about whether the good stuff exists or not.

Lets just start with Mississippi. There are less than 3m people in the entire state and they have to compete with Old Miss as well as the other nearby SEC schools for recruits. How many top recruits do you think leave Alabama or Louisiana or Florida to go up to MSU? And Mississippi is a poor state, so the kind of booster money flowing into a small school like MSU is nowhere near what you would see at UF or other bigger name schools.

So starting with that, look at their schedule. Do you think they have had an easy schedule during Mullen's tenure? Do you think playing in the SEC west against Bama, the Barn, LSU, aTm every year is easy? There were years in that stretch when all of those schools were in or near the top ten nationally. Not quite the same thing as UCF or Memphis is it bro?

So what was he able to do when he actually had some tools and money to work with? Only 2 national championships here working with Meyer. Among other well known accomplishments. To say he doesn't have experience winning championships is just wrong. What he doesn't have experience doing is winning championships at a place like MSU, which if you are being REALLY honest you would acknowledge is damn near impossible in this day and age no matter how good you are.

Now how about those national total offense rankings? Well you certainly don't have to be a top ten offense to win a natty. That is clear as day based on the evidence. Bama was 45th nationally last time they won in 2015. Bama was 31st when they won the natty in 2012 and also 31st when they won it in 2011. Bama was 43rd nationally in total offense when they beat us for the title in 09. I think if you go back a decade or more you'll only find a handful of national champs who were top 10 in total offense. If that isn't a good enough measuring stick, we were 15th in total offense in 08 with Tebow and Percy.

Football is a 3 phase team game. That's why teams win a national championship. Imagine if we would have had a 30th ranked offense in 2012 or 2015-16 how much farther our team would have gotten? Guys like you are so damn sure that Mullen can't coach a 3 phase team you're willing to bet the house on it, but you have nothing but a few misunderstood stats and some dark feelings guiding you.

Just give it a freaking chance. I have news for you......nobody is gonna grab a pitchfork and storm the castle to dethrone Mullen. He's here and he's staying for a good while. You might as well start trying to wrap your head around it rather than running around telling everyone who is trying to keep an open mind that they are an idiot. He might indeed wind up sucking but he also might be good. We'll know when we know.

gat0rjay

Sep 7, 2014
What jumps out at me is that he's only ever beaten 2 SEC teams that finished the season with a winning record in SEC play (Ark 2015, LSU 2017). Yikes.

To be fair though, he has often also been quite competitive vs better opposition (I.E. a few close calls vs Bama; LSU; and even one vs us; 16-13 in the 4th Q, ended up losing by 10 back in 2009).

Based on his presser comments today, I have to believe he understands the pressure and expectations he's signed up for. I think he knows 4-4 or even 5-3 isn't going to cut it here very long. I think he truly believes he can win big with better talent at his disposal.

I'm still a skeptic (I believe justifiably so based on the data at our disposal)... BUT, I can see the other side of the argument too. I can understand the talent gap and recruiting deficits at MSST vs UF. He's our coach now, so I'm going to give him a fair shot, like I said I would if he got hired back when this all started.

I hope he can prove to us that the pumpers are right about him. That he can pull in and develop top talent, and that his offenses can reach new heights (and his teams bigger, better, and more wins) with that better talent. I hope he wins big.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ure-set-his-replacement-up-success/897143001/

You have to know the history of Mississippi State football before Dan Mullen and then you can put the Mullen era at Starkville in context.

As the article linked to points out, Dan Mullen won 9 games per year three times in 9 years at State. In the previous 100 years Mississippi State only won 9 games four times. Now I know that in the not too distant past teams only played 10 games instead of 11 or 12.

The facilities at State have been upgraded. The stadium has been enlarged. The expectations of that fan base was raised. Starkville is the smallest and most isolated venue in the SEC. Tough place to recruit. Florida is on a different planet. Mississippi State fans are not thankful that UF took Dan Mullen off their hands. To the contrary they are mad and jealous.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
we were 15th in total offense in 08 with Tebow and Percy.
This number is shocking to me, but I'm betting it has a lot to do with how many times our offense had a short field due to blocked kicks/turnovers/kick returns. That plus our defense scored a bajillion touchdowns that year and took away scoring opportunities from the offense. That team was ridiculous.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Is his record impressive? Well that depends on if all you want to look at is the bad stuff while making every excuse in the book about whether the good stuff exists or not.

Lets just start with Mississippi. There are less than 3m people in the entire state and they have to compete with Old Miss as well as the other nearby SEC schools for recruits. How many top recruits do you think leave Alabama or Louisiana or Florida to go up to MSU? And Mississippi is a poor state, so the kind of booster money flowing into a small school like MSU is nowhere near what you would see at UF or other bigger name schools.

So starting with that, look at their schedule. Do you think they have had an easy schedule during Mullen's tenure? Do you think playing in the SEC west against Bama, the Barn, LSU, aTm every year is easy? There were years in that stretch when all of those schools were in or near the top ten nationally. Not quite the same thing as UCF or Memphis is it bro?

So what was he able to do when he actually had some tools and money to work with? Only 2 national championships here working with Meyer. Among other well known accomplishments. To say he doesn't have experience winning championships is just wrong. What he doesn't have experience doing is winning championships at a place like MSU, which if you are being REALLY honest you would acknowledge is damn near impossible in this day and age no matter how good you are.

Now how about those national total offense rankings? Well you certainly don't have to be a top ten offense to win a natty. That is clear as day based on the evidence. Bama was 45th nationally last time they won in 2015. Bama was 31st when they won the natty in 2012 and also 31st when they won it in 2011. Bama was 43rd nationally in total offense when they beat us for the title in 09. I think if you go back a decade or more you'll only find a handful of national champs who were top 10 in total offense. If that isn't a good enough measuring stick, we were 15th in total offense in 08 with Tebow and Percy.

Football is a 3 phase team game. That's why teams win a national championship. Imagine if we would have had a 30th ranked offense in 2012 or 2015-16 how much farther our team would have gotten? Guys like you are so damn sure that Mullen can't coach a 3 phase team you're willing to bet the house on it, but you have nothing but a few misunderstood stats and some dark feelings guiding you.

Just give it a freaking chance. I have news for you......nobody is gonna grab a pitchfork and storm the castle to dethrone Mullen. He's here and he's staying for a good while. You might as well start trying to wrap your head around it rather than running around telling everyone who is trying to keep an open mind that they are an idiot. He might indeed wind up sucking but he also might be good. We'll know when we know.

Heard similar comments about CSU before Mac got there.

He beat the dregs and lost to anyone with a pulse. But he was at MSU.

Maybe the UAA finally got one right...I'm afraid we've seen and heard this all before.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Heard similar comments about CSU before Mac got there.

He beat the dregs and lost to anyone with a pulse. But he was at MSU.

Maybe the UAA finally got one right...I'm afraid we've seen and heard this all before.
Dude we are all afraid this might not work. But there aren't any guarantees. The only thing you can do is take your best shot and see what happens. Our best shot was Kelly and Frost in most people's opinion. We tried to get both of them but couldn't. Trying to dissect Mullen v. Taggart v. Norvell v. etc is splitting hairs at best and not worthy of a meltdown.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah because that is exactly what was said.

Let me just ask you a question: What is more impressive, being the 40th ranked offense while playing in the SEC west, or being the 40th ranked offense playing in the Mountain West? The stuff ain't apples to apples. You can look at each years list of teams ranked by their total offense numbers and see a plethora of squads on that list that everybody knows isn't worth a damn, coached by coaches that everybody knows aren't good coaches. Please don't act like you have some special insight based on some a few raw numbers. This is a more complicated deal than that and you know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.