Muschamp looking forward to return to the Swamp

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is comic gold!!!

https://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Will-Muschamp-The-worst-thing-you-can-do-as-a-coach-is

Will Muschamp promises that he’s not going to put a square peg in a round hole at South Carolina.

He didn’t last at Florida because of the poor offense. He knows that. He says he’d still be there if he’d hired Kurt Roper sooner. But as his first fall with the Gamecocks arrives, they have an offense in mind. It might not be what they run the next year, but it’s what is needed for Week 1.

“The most important thing, we need to have the style of offense to win a game on Sept. 1,” Muschamp said on ESPN Radio Charlotte. “As a coach, you figure out what your players can do, how you can be successful and how you win games, and that’s what we’re going to do. Regardless if it’s not what we want to be right now, you need to do what it takes to win football games.

The worst thing you can do as a coach is take a scheme, throw it on the players and say, ‘This is who we are.’ The best thing you can do is evaluate your players, say these are the best things we do right now. My second season at Florida, we weren’t very pretty offensively. We won 11 games and finished second in the country that year in the regular season, but we played behind our defense and special teams. Identify what your players can do and do those things.”

Muschamp and Roper inherit a South Carolina offense that was 110th in scoring last year (21.9 ppg) and has just five returning starters, but he says he’s learned from the Florida stint, when he took a spread team and tried to make it pro-style.

So how did Muschamp land another SEC job less than two years after getting let go at Florida? He pointed to the NFL, which rehires head coaches time and time again, and said he was hired by someone who understands the whole situation.

“I think (South Carolina athletic director) Ray Tanner recognized what we did in a positive manner at Florida,” Muschamp said. “Ray’s a former coach. We talked a lot about my tenure at Florida and the different things that happened and the circumstances that maybe weren’t under our control, such as injuries and things that were difficult to overcome. He understood that. It’s interesting to me, in the National Football League, coaches are rehired multiple times. They’re rehired by general managers who are football people.

“They’re not always trying to please the fanbase. They’re trying to make the best football decisions for their organization. They can look at a situation and say there were setbacks that maybe were beyond that guy’s control. In college, a guy gets fired, ‘He must have been a bad coach.’ Those things Ray rationalized to me, talked to me about, it made sense to me. He was looking for the right fit, and I feel like I was the right fit.”

The Muschamp era begins at Vanderbilt on the Thursday of Week 1, followed by a trip to Mississippi State, a home game against East Carolina and a road game at Kentucky.

Why was this merged? This is a different/new story from his appearance on ESPN radio this week.....

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder how many of your likes are attributed to this video :scratchchin:
I was thinking the same thing the other day when he posted it in the Driskell 49ers thread.
I'd say close to 50% over about 10 different threads. :lol:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder how many of your likes are attributed to this video :scratchchin:

why would he fix something that's not broke?

maybe a better question is why do people continue to give it/him likes although it's been whored out? :dunno: - not sure ox can help it that the masses love him & this video

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The chorus of boos that rain down on Duncechamp will be epic. Fans are going to raz him pretty hard, I am predicting at least one heated verbal altercation with Gator fans. I can't wait to pound SC.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I might be in California that weekend. Otherwise, I'm filming his entrance with every camera I can get my hands on. :lol:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Why was this merged? This is a different/new story from his appearance on ESPN radio this week.....
My friend, every Muschamp thread is the same. No reason to have two on the front page.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is comic gold!!!

https://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Will-Muschamp-The-worst-thing-you-can-do-as-a-coach-is

Will Muschamp promises that he’s not going to put a square peg in a round hole at South Carolina.

He didn’t last at Florida because of the poor offense. He knows that. He says he’d still be there if he’d hired Kurt Roper sooner. But as his first fall with the Gamecocks arrives, they have an offense in mind. It might not be what they run the next year, but it’s what is needed for Week 1.

“The most important thing, we need to have the style of offense to win a game on Sept. 1,” Muschamp said on ESPN Radio Charlotte. “As a coach, you figure out what your players can do, how you can be successful and how you win games, and that’s what we’re going to do. Regardless if it’s not what we want to be right now, you need to do what it takes to win football games.

The worst thing you can do as a coach is take a scheme, throw it on the players and say, ‘This is who we are.’ The best thing you can do is evaluate your players, say these are the best things we do right now. My second season at Florida, we weren’t very pretty offensively. We won 11 games and finished second in the country that year in the regular season, but we played behind our defense and special teams. Identify what your players can do and do those things.”

Muschamp and Roper inherit a South Carolina offense that was 110th in scoring last year (21.9 ppg) and has just five returning starters, but he says he’s learned from the Florida stint, when he took a spread team and tried to make it pro-style.

So how did Muschamp land another SEC job less than two years after getting let go at Florida? He pointed to the NFL, which rehires head coaches time and time again, and said he was hired by someone who understands the whole situation.

“I think (South Carolina athletic director) Ray Tanner recognized what we did in a positive manner at Florida,” Muschamp said. “Ray’s a former coach. We talked a lot about my tenure at Florida and the different things that happened and the circumstances that maybe weren’t under our control, such as injuries and things that were difficult to overcome. He understood that. It’s interesting to me, in the National Football League, coaches are rehired multiple times. They’re rehired by general managers who are football people.

“They’re not always trying to please the fanbase. They’re trying to make the best football decisions for their organization. They can look at a situation and say there were setbacks that maybe were beyond that guy’s control. In college, a guy gets fired, ‘He must have been a bad coach.’ Those things Ray rationalized to me, talked to me about, it made sense to me. He was looking for the right fit, and I feel like I was the right fit.”

The Muschamp era begins at Vanderbilt on the Thursday of Week 1, followed by a trip to Mississippi State, a home game against East Carolina and a road game at Kentucky.

Muschamp will live off of those 11 "wins" the rest of his life. He's still talking about a season where we didn't even win the East, lost in Jax and needed a miracle to escape LaLa.

It's funny to contrast that with real winners like Spurrier who, during the Gridiron Great '97 fsu game, quickly points out that we didn't win anything that year and specifically mentions the loss to the bulldogs. Meyer was so pissed about the '07 uga game, he felt compelled to talk about it months later in his book.

Reading the Usce Rivals beat writer's breakdown of the the team's strengths and weaknesses, and outlook for the upcoming season, he says it may be a huge accomplishment if they even make a bowl. And that's before factoring in the WM variable.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"They're not always trying to please the fan base." Well that's gonna come true, for sure.
He declares that his debacle at UF was not his fault -- those were cheap, thin whiteboards ?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tanner will be fired over this in by the end of the second year.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wish more things on this board weren't merged...would rather have a bunch of new topics than the same old threads on the board that look like nothing new has been talked about. Hate trying to work through pages upon pages of posts

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Wish more things on this board weren't merged...would rather have a bunch of new topics than the same old threads on the board that look like nothing new has been talked about. Hate trying to work through pages upon pages of posts
I can count the number of threads I merge during an entire month on one hand.

This is not a new topic. Every Muschamp thread is the same.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp is an idiot who doesn't get "it".

He'll be staring down the barrel of a loaded gun all season and not even know what's about happen. At best his team will win 4 games. Good riddance.
Along this line, I think he is operating on the assumption our team will be as decimated by injuries as his were by Nov. 12.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Picture this : Mushdump & 'Cocks stream into visitors locker-room and there in the distance sits
a cracked whiteboard with knuckle-print blood-streaks for all to see.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"He didn’t last at Florida because of the poor offense. He knows that. He says he’d still be there if he’d hired Kurt Roper sooner."

I find this quote typical Chump... In Roper's lone season as OC we were 105 in total offense - which is a major improvement over the 112 in Pease's last season as OC. What I do know, is Mac better beat this clown this season.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"He didn’t last at Florida because of the poor offense. He knows that. He says he’d still be there if he’d hired Kurt Roper sooner."

I find this quote typical Chump... In Roper's lone season as OC we were 105 in total offense - which is a major improvement over the 112 in Pease's last season as OC. What I do know, is Mac better beat this clown this season.

Yep. This game is setting up to be similar to the Lame Kiffin slUT game where he famously said he was looking forward to singing Rocky Flop in the Swamp after they won... Urb's had some spasms over that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.