Status
Not open for further replies.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Fans been harping on that but he knows what he's doing. This blame shifting is a nuanced thing. AR, Tony, Mertz....and the roster is improving so we may do great and the criticism will just fade. :whistle:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Well, you won't actually see, because you made it clear you don't even watch the games anymore.
See Crystal Ball GIF by goodfortunesonly

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
That just makes me feel all warm inside.

BN needs a real QB coach.
I’m not sure about that yet. SOS & Mullen (with Johnson) handled OC & QBs. (That wasn’t among Mulllen’s problems.) Neither am I sold that 2 OL coaches are a big advantage. UM3 had Adddazio on the IOL and Hevesy with OTs and TEs. That worked well.

This fall will show us how much Mertz & Miller have improved and how much BN has learned calling games and managing situations with the clock, TOs etc. at this level.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure about that yet. SOS & Mullen (with Johnson) handled OC & QBs. (That wasn’t among Mulllen’s problems.) Neither am I sold that 2 OL coaches are a big advantage. UM3 had Adddazio on the IOL and Hevesy with OTs and TEs. That worked well.

This fall will show us how much Mertz & Miller have improved and how much BN has learned calling games and managing situations with the clock, TOs etc. at this level.
I dont think anyone has a problem with a hypothetical coach being the OC/QB guy IF, as in the case of SOS, he can handle it. I think IF that is the case, many of us would actually prefer it and I am in that camp. BUT to be effective, the guy needs to manage the game as well as effectively managing the plays, knowing when to be aggressive, when not to be, having a good feel for the other teams defense and tendencies, etc. So far billy has shown mostly the opposite which is why last season was so damn frustrating. We gave teams so many unforced and undeserved opportunities b/c of patently head scratching decisions from the sideline. I dont think we are going to see some remarkable transformation from 1 year to another in that area. We may be better suited to overcome some of those boneheaded decisions due to better talent and depth, and maybe we see fewer situations that result in faceplams because better talent and depth reduces the likelihood of occurrence, but do we really think Billy will just be a better clock and game manager this year, will he just be better calling plays and having a feel for the other team? I guess maybe on the feel and play calls if he was calling things based on low confidence in AR, but we havent seen anything indicating Mertz fixes that either so i dunno. The point is nothing with our qb or offseason situation so far indicates that last year was a fluke or that we are heads and tails better this year. Worse, most of the "experts" think we finish between 5 and 7 wins. Yeah, i know thats just a bunch of idiots who hate the gators and all, but they said the same thing last year and we laughed at them, but they ended up being right. Most analysts have mertz as the worst qb in the league. If they are even remotely accurate, i sure hope billy shows us a qb/playcalling transformation b/c we will need it.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I dont think anyone has a problem with a hypothetical coach being the OC/QB guy IF, as in the case of SOS, he can handle it. I think IF that is the case, many of us would actually prefer it and I am in that camp. BUT to be effective, the guy needs to manage the game as well as effectively managing the plays, knowing when to be aggressive, when not to be, having a good feel for the other teams defense and tendencies, etc. So far billy has shown mostly the opposite which is why last season was so damn frustrating. We gave teams so many unforced and undeserved opportunities b/c of patently head scratching decisions from the sideline. I dont think we are going to see some remarkable transformation from 1 year to another in that area. We may be better suited to overcome some of those boneheaded decisions due to better talent and depth, and maybe we see fewer situations that result in faceplams because better talent and depth reduces the likelihood of occurrence, but do we really think Billy will just be a better clock and game manager this year, will he just be better calling plays and having a feel for the other team? I guess maybe on the feel and play calls if he was calling things based on low confidence in AR, but we havent seen anything indicating Mertz fixes that either so i dunno. The point is nothing with our qb or offseason situation so far indicates that last year was a fluke or that we are heads and tails better this year. Worse, most of the "experts" think we finish between 5 and 7 wins. Yeah, i know thats just a bunch of idiots who hate the gators and all, but they said the same thing last year and we laughed at them, but they ended up being right. Most analysts have mertz as the worst qb in the league. If they are even remotely accurate, i sure hope billy shows us a qb/playcalling transformation b/c we will need it.
Fair points. I think the pressures in an SEC game are higher and we should see some improvement. Plus, if he’s applying his evaluation process to himself he should have learned a bit. Even Meyer had some similar learning curve issues his first year.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Fair points. I think the pressures in an SEC game are higher and we should see some improvement. Plus, if he’s applying his evaluation process to himself he should have learned a bit. Even Meyer had some similar learning curve issues his first year.
We don’t know if his staff was dropping the ball, failing to advise, or if CBN was just frozen in the moment. I’m sure his boss, our AD, discussed at some point, kindly suggesting his staff do their job to avoid looking bewildered as a staff.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
all quite possible and i want to hit the "i believe" button on napier's self scouting but history has turned me into a doubting thomas. seeing is believing for me.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That just makes me feel all warm inside.

BN needs a real QB coach.

My issue with O’Hara isn’t so much what he is as an analyst. It’s that I saw numerous occasions last year where he was just sitting there doing nothing. He would sort of show AR something on the Ipad and then kind of drift off and talk to others. Meanwhile we had perhaps the most inconsistent QB play in the country unfolding before our eyes. A kind word of encouragement isn’t what you need in that moment. Analyst or not, he needs to at least pretend to be a coach and try to address the issues in-game. No one did less than him last year.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My issue with O’Hara isn’t so much what he is as an analyst. It’s that I saw numerous occasions last year where he was just sitting there doing nothing. He would sort of show AR something on the Ipad and then kind of drift off and talk to others. Meanwhile we had perhaps the most inconsistent QB play in the country unfolding before our eyes. A kind word of encouragement isn’t what you need in that moment. Analyst or not, he needs to at least pretend to be a coach and try to address the issues in-game. No one did less than him last year.
He says we’re getting all we pay for.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Mike Kent would be appalled at how fit our guys are looking smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.