Napier’s first full offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Head of the class: Report cards for TCU's Sonny Dykes and all 29 first-year coaches

Billy Napier, Florida: D+

2022 record: 6-7 | Florida's 2021 record: 6-7 Previous job: Louisiana head coach Midseason grade: C- | Grade when hired: A-

After a season-opening win against eventual Pac-12 champion Utah, Florida had a very uneven first season under Napier. The Utah win preceded a home loss to Kentucky. Florida had its best overall performance against South Carolina on Nov. 12 but ended the regular season with consecutive seven-point defeats to Vanderbilt and Florida State. The Gators no-showed against Oregon State in their bowl game, needing a late field goal to preserve their record streak of 436 games without being shut out. The team ended the season with questions on both sides of the ball, especially a defense that allowed nearly 29 points per game and nearly 6 yards per play. Young running backs Montrell Johnson Jr. and Trevor Etienne provided an encouraging spark, combining for 1,560 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns.

What comes next: Although Napier is responsible for only one of Florida's consecutive 6-7 seasons, he faces some pressure in Year 2. Florida not only must catch up to Georgia but also Tennessee and potentially others in an improving SEC East. Anthony Richardson's NFL departure creates urgency at quarterback, and Florida could turn to decorated incoming freshman Jaden Rashada to find a spark.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Head of the class: Report cards for TCU's Sonny Dykes and all 29 first-year coaches

Billy Napier, Florida: D+

2022 record: 6-7 | Florida's 2021 record: 6-7 Previous job: Louisiana head coach Midseason grade: C- | Grade when hired: A-

After a season-opening win against eventual Pac-12 champion Utah, Florida had a very uneven first season under Napier. The Utah win preceded a home loss to Kentucky. Florida had its best overall performance against South Carolina on Nov. 12 but ended the regular season with consecutive seven-point defeats to Vanderbilt and Florida State. The Gators no-showed against Oregon State in their bowl game, needing a late field goal to preserve their record streak of 436 games without being shut out. The team ended the season with questions on both sides of the ball, especially a defense that allowed nearly 29 points per game and nearly 6 yards per play. Young running backs Montrell Johnson Jr. and Trevor Etienne provided an encouraging spark, combining for 1,560 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns.

What comes next: Although Napier is responsible for only one of Florida's consecutive 6-7 seasons, he faces some pressure in Year 2. Florida not only must catch up to Georgia but also Tennessee and potentially others in an improving SEC East. Anthony Richardson's NFL departure creates urgency at quarterback, and Florida could turn to decorated incoming freshman Jaden Rashada to find a spark.
I'm not going to be shocked if next season is 6-7 as well. But I think things start rolling after that and all the Sonny Dykes talk will be long forgotten.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I am in no way a CBN apologist, but I am willing to give him some time to fixed what I think was a mess.

For those of you who think a first year grade is important, what grade would you have Cousin Eddie, or Butters for that matter, after year one? If it’s a passing grade, answer me this: do you wish they were still at UF?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I am in no way a CBN apologist, but I am willing to give him some time to fixed what I think was a mess.

For those of you who think a first year grade is important, what grade would you have Cousin Eddie, or Butters for that matter, after year one? If it’s a passing grade, answer me this: do you wish they were still at UF?

Of Mullen’s big first year wins(ut, Lsu, Usce, MsSt and fsu) not one of those coaches are still employed at those schools, and only one made it past 2020, and that was because of a passing game coordinator that came in for 2019. Plus his recruiting was embarrassing, he lost to Uk as well, got blown out at home to Mizzou and got into a fight with a guy who is about as respected as anyone in cfb during the VU comeback win. Feels like an A-.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Of Mullen’s big first year wins(ut, Lsu, Usce, MsSt and fsu) not one of those coaches are still employed at those schools, and only one made it past 2020, and that was because of a passing game coordinator that came in for 2019. Plus his recruiting was embarrassing, he lost to Uk as well, got blown out at home to Mizzou and got into a fight with a guy who is about as respected as anyone in cfb during the VU comeback win. Feels like an A-.
He did beat Harbaugh. (Remember, bowl games mean something if we win.)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He did beat Harbaugh. (Remember, bowl games mean something if we win.)

And opt-outs don’t matter either. I’ll admit, I was more inclined to think that way back then because I wanted to see us as trending under DM. But the Cotton really changed that for me. Bowls we’re never perfectly indicative of where a team was at, but now they mean absolutely nothing and give zero insight.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
And opt-outs don’t matter either. I’ll admit, I was more inclined to think that way back then because I wanted to see us as trending under DM. But the Cotton really changed that for me. Bowls we’re never perfectly indicative of where a team was at, but now they mean absolutely nothing and give zero insight.
The Peach Bowl win was an important victory for the program and the team! The Cotton Bowl loss was a meaningless exhibition game. Try to keep up.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Well that will change when we expand the playoffs to 32 spots. Then errybody has a chance to win it all and nobody will opt out!! Yea that's the ticket...

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
He's the dude that attended 77 college football games in one season, with the last one being last night. I have no idea if it's good news or not, but based on some of the replies on this tweet, it appears legit.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He's the dude that attended 77 college football games in one season, with the last one being last night. I have no idea if it's good news or not, but based on some of the replies on this tweet, it appears legit.
so tweeter twats are excited for him? tweeter twats also got excited about the kids who ate tide pods. i dont care what twatter has to say. I want to hear from people with functioning upper cortex's.

Last edited:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
If that’s our big news we are in the portal potty for sure

Call the transfer truck, it’s full of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays