Napier press conference Monday 10/2

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
That’s exactly what will happen. It’s why, again, I prefer an offensive minded coach who has a basic concept and just needs someone to tweak over time and call plays. Otherwise we’re constantly seeing wholesale system changes and rarely have the right combo of players that fit. But it sounds like it won’t happen anyway, so we dodged that bullet.

Bingo. We hired a HC with no true (successful) offensive or defensive identity. He’s an “offensive-minded” HC that was fired by Dabo and never got promoted by Saban. I’m worried we might be in for a rough 1-3 more years.

Then again, he could push all the right buttons and I look like an idiot when looking back on this even though he should have already made changes last offseason

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Bingo. We hired a HC with no true (successful) offensive or defensive identity. He’s an “offensive-minded” HC that was fired by Dabo and never got promoted by Saban. I’m worried we might be in for a rough 1-3 more years.

Then again, he could push all the right buttons and I look like an idiot when looking back on this even though he should have already made changes last offseason
What's he waiting for?

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Somebody please point me towards a big time college program where the head coach was forced by the AD to give up play calling duties to a coordinator or make wholesale changes that went on to be a big success. Anybody?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I'm seeing Scotts name popup a lot here
Good Mythical Morning Agree GIF by Rhett and Link

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Finally got around to watching it. I've read it since Saturday but I wanted to observe Billy so I could get a better read on the man himself.

1. He's medicated. His words are slurred. I watched about 10 different videos of him talking and he never sounded so out of it. That would explain his lethargy from last year when he at least had an outburst on the sidelines.

2. He's getting adversarial. @soflagator alluded to this in many posts. He's in over his head and can't admit he was wrong, this ties in with the other points and I'll elaborate below.

3. He's in way over his head.
4. He's not very bright

Let me give my evidence for points 2,3,4. He's not very bright because he thinks he walked away with Sabans secret sauce. It's like that old fable about 3 blind men touching an elephant. One touches the leg and says it's a tree, one touches the tail and says it's a rope, one touches the ear, etc. Muschamp worked with saban, and said it's all about defense and run game. Billy worked with Saban and says it's all about details and processes, Smart worked with saban and was like, it's an elephant dummies!

He's in over his head because he is a great recruiter and in the middle of the pack you can put beat 60 by being 50. It's like any TV show or movie where the coach finds the tall guy for basketball or puts a boy on a girl's team (ladybugs, little giants, etc)

Now that his flawed take away from Saban isn't working because he doesn't have the secret sauce he's angry with anyone who points out his shortcoming. Thus the insistence on sticking with his system.

Lastly, to his intelligence, as many have said it's a bad recipe. He really believes that somehow having a system (that literally every coach or every company has) is all the difference. Think about how stupid this is, it's like a company saying, I know our stock is tanking and the company is going bankrupt but we've instituted a new system where all our employees have to clock in on time and if we stick to the plan we'll be profitable again. The result is everyone clocks in on time but they forget to submit invoices, they leave the lights on at night and forget to lock the doors while inventory gets stolen.

Next time we hire a coach we need a smart, innovative, adaptable person who will do anything to win

TL/DR Billy is a moron

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Now that his flawed take away from Saban isn't working because he doesn't have the secret sauce he's angry with anyone who points out his shortcoming. Thus the insistence on sticking with his system.
The secret sauce is an OC/pass game coordinator, STs coach, QB coach. No other team uses them but it would help us.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Somebody please point me towards a big time college program where the head coach was forced by the AD to give up play calling duties to a coordinator or make wholesale changes that went on to be a big success. Anybody?
Texas A&M fits the bill ... too soon to judge though.

However, We've all seen a few coaches make wholesale changes... but it's always too little, too late.

People who think strategically, and are also self-aware, can change direction and be very successful.

Those are few and far between.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I take it you are serious. It's probably happened with an AD where it didn't work out any better. I just can't see it being worse, an OC and STs, coach regardless of what compels the additions. While writing this I had the thought, would Napier hire a gun slinging pass oriented coordinator that might expose his offensive identity ineffective?

It's just difficult to watch our offense struggle, WRs not really open, or having to catch the ball exactly at the first down marker where three defenders are grouped. Seems to happen often.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Texas A&M fits the bill ... too soon to judge though.

However, We've all seen a few coaches make wholesale changes... but it's always too little, too late.

People who think strategically, and are also self-aware, can change direction and be very successful.

Those are few and far between.
I've always thought Jimbo (Jimbo, Billy.. juvenile nomeclature) was a goofball and not that good. I don't think he's going to do much better. Time will tell.

His stupid towel boy gimmick was ever so annoying and pretentious as if he's got the secret map to el dorado and some schmuck has to stand there with a towel so no one would find out his secrets.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I take it you are serious. It's probably happened with an AD where it didn't work out any better. I just can't see it being worse, an OC and STs, coach regardless of what compels the additions. While writing this I had the thought, would Napier hire a gun slinging pass oriented coordinator that might expose his offensive identity ineffective?

It's just difficult to watch our offense struggle, WRs not really open, or having to catch the ball exactly at the first down marker where three defenders are grouped. Seems to happen often.
If somebody else has to force you to make changes that are obvious to everyone in the room, then you are not "the guy" to be leading whatever organization. That's the point here. It shows a core character failure in leadership. Yeah sure you might limp along a little while longer but ultimately the cancer is still there.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
The secret sauce is an OC/pass game coordinator, STs coach, QB coach. No other team uses them but it would help us.
You just proved his point though; if a bunch of morons on a message board know this, but the head coach seemingly doesn't, it doesn't really speak to his intelligence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.