Napier press conference Monday 10/2

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Thanks for sharing. I saw that on the 247 board as well. I think the bigger issue that is being missed here is that any of this talk about having to force his hand at the end of the year actually already tells us what we have. Ideas being floated about hiding NIL hostage until he does. At this point, what is our ceiling this year? 7-5 maybe? If a head coach needs 12 losses in two seasons, to reluctantly concede and begrudgingly, hire an offensive coordinator, then clearly he’s content with losing. This isn’t Spurrier going to the shotgun to win a title, or Meyer making changes after 2 losses. This is reluctance to change after 9 losses a year and a half in. That’s not a winner, plain and simple, and this could all get very toxic very soon.
Yup. I've always said his success is contingent of being willing to change when things clearly aren't working. If he's going to be arrogant and claim he's crap don't stink then he's no better than mullen.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Well, we didn't ask these questions after Tennessee? I know I was asking questions after Tennessee.
Exactly. “Billy, what is it about you needing Etiene to break so many tackles in that game at the line of scrimmage, with Tennessee being the only team that will play UF with a 6 man box, for your offense to be productive that should be replicable against future opponents?” And, “Do you think the second half when the RBs did not break 2-4 tackles per run was perhaps a precursor to what we have seen of the offense since that first half against Tennessee?”

And that doesn’t even touch on the passing game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Obviously, it’s apparently 80% based on ratings thus far. :lol:

Seriously, we all throw out wild opinions and statements at times, but if anyone disagrees with that sentiment above, I really think it underscores the level of dysfunction within our fan base. Some truly don’t get it.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Mertz hasn't cost us a game. But he's probably not going to win us a game either. (unless he starts seeing the entire field better and gets better at checking to a hot reciever).

We are supposed to be a running team, so Mertz is a perfect fit for that.

Not getting Brown snaps is an issue. Our cupcakes are done so he'll probably only see time in an emergency.

Maybe we"ll get far enough ahead that he can get some decent reps against the Leghumpers. :lol:
If he (Mertz) continues to bail out the the right on every play he gets pressure he is gonna get hurt, probably a R shoulder injury. He is decent out of the pocket but he needs to move away from pressure, he rolled right into it several times. The long balls are there and we have to keep taking those shots but if he continues to play poorly and miss those Brown should get a chance. This season is gonna be a wash and the only good thing would be to keep the class we have and convince ETN not to transfer.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Mertz is not a game changer. He had a handful of good games at WI and that's it. Is he playing better than I anticipated, yes. But, he's not the game breaking, game changer. All teams need to do is put 8 in the box and try to get Mertz to beat them. Does Billy need to make changes, yes. Will he do them mid season, no because that's a hard thing to do. The bigger question is, if he will make changes.

If big time donors pull their money, so be it. They shouldn't be calling the shots. It's Scott's job to communicate the vision of the program to them and tell them the progress they are making in modern era football. It's a difficult job to do and there seems like no progress has been made in a long, long time. But, if UAA truly believes in Billy's vision, then they need to show the donors the incremental progress being made that wasn't happening with the last duds. It's also Scott's job to ask Billy what the hell is going, and how is he going to fix the issues and show progress on the field. It's his job to tell Billy, we have sucked for 13 years and we are counting on YOU to fix the issues and how are you doing that, and if he isn't fixing them it's time to look elsewhere. It's Scott's job to ask a lot of questions to get Billy thinking of how he's leading the football program. It's a ton of weight on a coach's shoulders that I can't even fathom.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz is not a game changer. He had a handful of good games at WI and that's it. Is he playing better than I anticipated, yes. But, he's not the game breaking, game changer. All teams need to do is put 8 in the box and try to get Mertz to beat them. Does Billy need to make changes, yes. Will he do them mid season, no because that's a hard thing to do. The bigger question is, if he will make changes.

If big time donors pull their money, so be it. They shouldn't be calling the shots. It's Scott's job to communicate the vision of the program to them and tell them the progress they are making in modern era football. It's a difficult job to do and there seems like no progress has been made in a long, long time. But, if UAA truly believes in Billy's vision, then they need to show the donors the incremental progress being made that wasn't happening with the last duds. It's also Scott's job to ask Billy what the hell is going, and how is he going to fix the issues and show progress on the field. It's his job to tell Billy, we have sucked for 13 years and we are counting on YOU to fix the issues and how are you doing that, and if he isn't fixing them it's time to look elsewhere. It's Scott's job to ask a lot of questions to get Billy thinking of how he's leading the football program. It's a ton of weight on a coach's shoulders that I can't even fathom.
I'm seeing Scotts name popup a lot here

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Assuming the last several posts are on the money - and I've seen nothing to say they aren't - Billy will have two major priorities this upcoming off season: 1) the obvious, hire an OC and 2) hit the portal hard for some OLs (probably pretty obvious too).

The OC pick will be really hard for him, because if he's honest with himself, he needs to make a move like Jimbo Fisher did in hiring Bobby Petrino. It will have to be someone who is established as a play caller (and this will cost $, but so be it), who has a different system than you do, and, probably the hardest for CBN, you will have to let him do his job without interference.

The OL issue won't be solved simply by solid recruiting and better coaching; we are going to have to add some upperclassmen, and we need to do it before spring. I have no idea of the roster situation at that position, but it may also require some hard decisions and "processing out" a few of the current scholarship players. I know CBN is big on having his and his staff's evaluations before offering a guy (and I get that), but he's got to figure a way to be quicker on the gun when an OL enters the portal.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Assuming the last several posts are on the money - and I've seen nothing to say they aren't - Billy will have two major priorities this upcoming off season: 1) the obvious, hire an OC and 2) hit the portal hard for some OLs (probably pretty obvious too).

The OC pick will be really hard for him, because if he's honest with himself, he needs to make a move like Jimbo Fisher did in hiring Bobby Petrino. It will have to be someone who is established as a play caller (and this will cost $, but so be it), who has a different system than you do, and, probably the hardest for CBN, you will have to let him do his job without interference.

The OL issue won't be solved simply by solid recruiting and better coaching; we are going to have to add some upperclassmen, and we need to do it before spring. I have no idea of the roster situation at that position, but it may also require some hard decisions and "processing out" a few of the current scholarship players. I know CBN is big on having his and his staff's evaluations before offering a guy (and I get that), but he's got to figure a way to be quicker on the gun when an OL enters the portal.
With all the support staff there should be someone monitoring that portal much the way one might monitor the possible release of a Taylor Swift sex tape.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
With all the support staff there should be someone monitoring that portal much the way one might monitor the possible release of a Taylor Swift sex tape.
Hell, I go one step further and do as much reviewing of every D1 OL in case they enter the portal. And yes, I know that would require a bunch of decent staffers. (Still cheaper than a buy out.)

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hell, I go one step further and do as much reviewing of every D1 OL in case they enter the portal. And yes, I know that would require a bunch of decent staffers. (Still cheaper than a buy out.)
Wonder what coach Stephens is doing these days.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Meanwhile, after giving up 55 points a nearly 700 yards of offense to Ole Miss, Kelly has already hired a new (old) defensive line coach and another staffer on that side of the ball.
Thats what you do when you get embarrassed. Thats what you do when changes need to be made and it's FN OBVIOUS.

What's Billy doing??????????????

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile, after giving up 55 points a nearly 700 yards of offense to Ole Miss, Kelly has already hired a new (old) defensive line coach and another staffer on that side of the ball.
Thats what you do when you get embarrassed. Thats what you do when changes need to be made and it's FN OBVIOUS.

What's Billy doing??????????????
Meyer changed the offense after 2 losses, both to very good teams. And he changed it to something he didn't really want to run bc it's what the personnel he had were better suited for. Just one of the hallmarks of a good coach and one that wants to win more than anything else.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Hope y’all are ready for a promotion from within where Russ Calloway is our OC.

My bigger issue is I know
A) This will still be Billy’s offense
b) Billy will have his thumb on the offense regardless of who comes in

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hope y’all are ready for a promotion from within where Russ Calloway is our OC.

My bigger issue is I know
A) This will still be Billy’s offense
b) Billy will have his thumb on the offense regardless of who comes in

If that happened tomorrow it would be huge. For several reasons. One, it would free Napier up and perhaps give him more time to focus on the details like clock management, counting people, and not going for 2 every third possession. Also, who knows if the same offense might flow a little better with someone else that may have more rhythm and feel for the game? Lastly, if there are no improvements between that implementation and the end of the year, it also solidifies the point that it’s the offensive scheme itself that is the issue, which may push for a more macro change. Any kind of recognition and change at this point would be welcome news.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
If that happened tomorrow it would be huge. For several reasons. One, it would free Napier up and perhaps give him more time to focus on the details like clock management, counting people, and not going for 2 every third possession. Also, who knows if the same offense might flow a little better with someone else that may have more rhythm and feel for the game? Lastly, if there are no improvements between that implementation and the end of the year, it also solidifies the point that it’s the offensive scheme itself that is the issue, which may push for a more macro change. Any kind of recognition and change at this point would be welcome news.

Ya it’s not happening in season. Plus, change just for the sake of it or to appease isn’t what we’re going for. Reminds me of Muschamp trying a new OC every year.

We need a home run OC who has the permission to overhaul and implement his own scheme…which actually raises another concern: what happens if the new OC does just that and gets plucked for a HC job? Yes, I’m getting way ahead of myself lol

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ya it’s not happening in season. Plus, change just for the sake of it or to appease isn’t what we’re going for. Reminds me of Muschamp trying a new OC every year.

We need a home run OC who has the permission to overhaul and implement his own scheme…which actually raises another concern: what happens if the new OC does just that and gets plucked for a HC job? Yes, I’m getting way ahead of myself lol

That’s exactly what will happen. It’s why, again, I prefer an offensive minded coach who has a basic concept and just needs someone to tweak over time and call plays. Otherwise we’re constantly seeing wholesale system changes and rarely have the right combo of players that fit. But it sounds like it won’t happen anyway, so we dodged that bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator