Napier press conference Monday 10/2

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
He seems resentful of having to defend himself against the mob. He's displeased that people on the outside get to question his process after every setback (aka embarrassing loss).

It's not like these are normal losses. We've been basically non-competitive in all 3 of the previous losses. The games have all been over by half-time. And against teams with lesser talent. He should answer to the outside noise. Not whine like a bitch.
Well he's going to have to do it quite a few more times this season. And the questions are just going to get louder and more insistent.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Well, he's plays are pretty offensive.
To be fair, Mertz isn't playing terribly well either. There were several wide open receivers he didn't even see against UK. And the abysmal sack on 4th and 3....when he had a wide open slot receiver on a slant was ridiculous. Mertz is hiding behind his numbers, but isn't playing well at all, IMHO.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, Mertz isn't playing terribly well either. There were several wide open receivers he didn't even see against UK. And the abysmal sack on 4th and 3....when he had a wide open slot receiver on a slant was ridiculous. Mertz is hiding behind his numbers, but isn't playing well at all, IMHO.
Mertz missed two wide open WRs early that led to punts. Then later, he didn't see a couple of WRs that were open on long routes.

He's doing check downs, which gets 1st down but will never result in big plays.

That's not on BN. But... Mertz does better in a clean pocket (on long routes) and the OL (with 2 coaches) is on BN.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mertz missed two wide open WRs early that led to punts. Then later, he didn't see a couple of WRs that were open on long routes.

He's doing check downs, which gets 1st down but will never result in big plays.

That's not on BN. But... Mertz does better in a clean pocket (on long routes) and the OL (with 2 coaches) is on BN.

I liked what I saw from Brown in his 1 drive against McNeese St and none against Charlotte.

I’ve been a fan of Mertz and think he’s exceeded my expectations thus far. We’re not losing because of him, though he definitely contributed to Saturday. But it’s borderline criminal that we played 120 minutes of football against two cupcakes and managed to get our presumed next in line exactly 1 series.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
“You lose as a result of playing non winning football”
Words of wisdom from Sunbelt Billy.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I liked what I saw from Brown in his 1 drive against McNeese St and none against Charlotte.

I’ve been a fan of Mertz and think he’s exceeded my expectations thus far. We’re not losing because of him, though he definitely contributed to Saturday. But it’s borderline criminal that we played 120 minutes of football against two cupcakes and managed to get our presumed next in line exactly 1 series.
Mertz hasn't cost us a game. But he's probably not going to win us a game either. (unless he starts seeing the entire field better and gets better at checking to a hot reciever).

We are supposed to be a running team, so Mertz is a perfect fit for that.

Not getting Brown snaps is an issue. Our cupcakes are done so he'll probably only see time in an emergency.

Maybe we"ll get far enough ahead that he can get some decent reps against the Leghumpers. :lol:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I sat all the way thru that presser. He never had to answer a tough question, like "why was KY so much more physical than us and literally whipped the sh@t out of our lines the whole day, coach? It was all presented like this may have been a one-game anomaly. It wasn't . KY could whip these soft kids in blue 7 days a week.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
“You lose as a result of playing non winning football”
Words of wisdom from Sunbelt Billy.
You lose when you roll out a totally unprepared middle-of-road SEC team in a hostile environment against tough, physical lines (O & D) and your boys immediately collapse. We want details Billy, please provide why we cannot compete.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn’t he like 25 of 30? And running for his life during the game?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz hasn't cost us a game. But he's probably not going to win us a game either. (unless he starts seeing the entire field better and gets better at checking to a hot reciever).

We are supposed to be a running team, so Mertz is a perfect fit for that.

Not getting Brown snaps is an issue. Our cupcakes are done so he'll probably only see time in an emergency.

Maybe we"ll get far enough ahead that he can get some decent reps against the Leghumpers. :lol:
@jdh5484 agreed, part of it seems is we have an offense that is also predicated to making defenses account for the QB. It seems at least you have to have a QB that will burn you on the run as well. Defenses take no accountability or worry that Mertz will pull the handoff from #7 or #2 (and yes in that order) and take off. It just seems as if we are handcuffing our scheme. Now, I will say that Mertz had been better than anticipated, but that alone will not win you games. I see no reason with this offense, that Brown should not get a look to see if he can provide a spark. Napier shouldn't be able to blame the passing game on a lack of letting Brown on the field. Mertz (stats aside) is not setting it on fire either. So give him a shot.

The other thing. If we are bringing Lagway in to run this offense, then WTH. You're needing a QB that can keep defenses accountable with their feet and not just their arm.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I certainly hope that they are getting in his ear. I realize too that it is all hearsay. Billy says he is an evaluator and stresses organization. Then more than likely he better be listening to fix it. I truly hope this type of communication is going on behind the scene.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Thanks for sharing. I saw that on the 247 board as well. I think the bigger issue that is being missed here is that any of this talk about having to force his hand at the end of the year actually already tells us what we have. Ideas being floated about hiding NIL hostage until he does. At this point, what is our ceiling this year? 7-5 maybe? If a head coach needs 12 losses in two seasons, to reluctantly concede and begrudgingly, hire an offensive coordinator, then clearly he’s content with losing. This isn’t Spurrier going to the shotgun to win a title, or Meyer making changes after 2 losses. This is reluctance to change after 9 losses a year and a half in. That’s not a winner, plain and simple, and this could all get very toxic very soon.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GNFP explains it much better than I can. Just watch ten minutes of it. You'll get the jist. Mertz is underperforming and the scheme is sub optimal.

I think it’s more scheme than anything. It doesn’t work at all with the OL problems.

It’s not even a great scheme if your OL is dominant

Imagine you’re always getting pummeled behind a porous line and there are no routes that press the defense so they’re always stacking the box and blitzing you.

Anybody would be gun shy. And you have no time to get rid of the ball. So everything is dump offs. And even if you could launch one downfield, it doesn’t matter, because there are no routes downfield.

I think he’s a tough SOB.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing. I saw that on the 247 board as well. I think the bigger issue that is being missed here is that any of this talk about having to force his hand at the end of the year actually already tells us what we have. Ideas being floated about hiding NIL hostage until he does. At this point, what is our ceiling this year? 7-5 maybe? If a head coach needs 12 losses in two seasons, to reluctantly concede and begrudgingly, hire an offensive coordinator, then clearly he’s content with losing. This isn’t Spurrier going to the shotgun to win a title, or Meyer making changes after 2 losses. This is reluctance to change after 9 losses a year and a half in. That’s not a winner, plain and simple, and this could all get very toxic very soon.

100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator