GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone watching Bristol? This used to be an impossible ticket to find and now the track is almost empty... This sport is in trouble

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I was offered a free ticket. I don't have it in me to sit through that. Never watched a race, don't plan to.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bunch of rednecks making left turns? No thanks...I'd rather watch the grass grow.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
mtrsptshist_75_HR.jpg

There was a NASCAR legend from Tavares, Florida who was a Gator. He attended UF and was studying mechanical engineering but did not graduate because racing was in his heart and he left school for the race tracks of Darlington, Martinsville, Bristol, and Daytona. He died in fiery crash at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. He was the epitome of the young, aggressive, petal to the metal NASCAR driver. He had a fitting name: Fireball Roberts.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Funny how since Tony Stewart isn't on the track or in contention the sport sucks and is boring....I only watched to see what Smoke would do and although most others won't admit it I think that is the case. The sport hit it high point in popularity a few years after he came into Nascar and stayed there until around the time he won his last championship.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The 'sport' turned its' back on its' soul in the name of greed.....North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, and only one race in Darlington. Piss on it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I laugh when I hear it called a sport. About as much athleticism as bowling.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
The 'sport' turned its' back on its' soul in the name of greed.....North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, and only one race in Darlington. Piss on it.
This! Coupled with the rule changes like not acing back to yellow and "lucky dog." Add the cookie cutter tracks, identical cars and the legislating out the personalities of the drivers and all that is left is a szoozefest every Sunday.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bunch of rednecks making left turns? No thanks...I'd rather watch the grass grow.

Here's the only thought I give the sport : those ads on the sides of the cars ... corporations
surely have to pay lots more for an ad on the right-side of the car because the other side is
only seen from far away. Also I bet when cars are on the away-side of the track, that's when
folks steal a chance to talk to their neighbors taking eyes off the race.... and the ads ??

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I laugh when I hear it called a sport. About as much athleticism as bowling.

I have to disagree. Those drivers are running at 200 mph with just inches between them in temperatures exceeding 130 degrees for 3-4 hours. It is physically and mentally draining to say the least. It cant be compared to football but it does take stamina.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have to disagree. Those drivers are running at 200 mph with just inches between them in temperatures exceeding 130 degrees for 3-4 hours. It is physically and mentally draining to say the least. It cant be compared to football but it does take stamina.
The drivers aren't running...the car is. They're made as comfortable as possible in the quarters they're confined to and they have A/C being pumped into their high dollars uniforms. I'm not saying it doesn't require skill, but so does chess. Jockeys exhibit more athleticism by riding a horse than NASCAR drivers.

Zambo, I'm sorry you get butthurt over the subject, but it is what it is.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
3 laps and you would be a quivering bowl of jelly. Probably the same as bowling for you though.
I did the "Richard Petty Experience" at AMS. Does that make me a NASCAR driver, too? How about an elite athlete? Hell, I've driven in Atlanta traffic for 14 years without a single accident, which is far more challenging than their controlled environment. :lol:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The drivers aren't running...the car is. They're made as comfortable as possible in the quarters they're confined to and they have A/C being pumped into their high dollars uniforms. I'm not saying it doesn't require skill, but so does chess. Jockeys exhibit more athleticism by riding a horse than NASCAR drivers.

Zambo, I'm sorry you get butthurt over the subject, but it is what it is.
Yeah, it is what it is but its not what you obviously THINK it is. It is a grueling and uncomfortable experience. They have cooling hoses to keep them alive, not to keep them comfortable. The G forces are unrelenting. It takes some serious physical effort to drive those cars, you make it sound like they're just sitting there watching the whole thing on TV.

Tell you what, just go down to the local go kart track and do a couple laps and see if you aren't sweating and tired after 5 minutes. It may not be all that exciting to watch, but I just have to laugh at people who don't think those guys are working their asses off out there. Complete ignorance.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it is what it is but its not what you obviously THINK it is. It is a grueling and uncomfortable experience. They have cooling hoses to keep them alive, not to keep them comfortable. The G forces are unrelenting. It takes some serious physical effort to drive those cars, you make it sound like they're just sitting there watching the whole thing on TV.

Tell you what, just go down to the local go kart track and do a couple laps and see if you aren't sweating and tired after 5 minutes. It may not be all that exciting to watch, but I just have to laugh at people who don't think those guys are working their asses off out there. Complete ignorance.
If it's such a physically demanding sport that requires elite athleticism, then explain Danica being competitive. She's doesn't appear to be very physically intimidating to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator