heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I've often felt that NASCAR would do well to throw in a few more road courses on their schedule, like maybe 6-8 during the season. It makes for a more entertaining form of racing for me personally. The super speedway's like Daytona and Talladega are sleepfest anymore. They should actually slow the cars down a little to stop all of the single and double filing racing, I think they're trying a little this year but I haven't watched a single minute so I don't know for sure.
this. I tried watching Daytona in feb but it was really hard to watch 4 cars trail each other then the rest of the pack a hundred yards behind. get rid of the restrictor plates, make the cars catch more air and reduce horsepower, get rid of the damn plate and reduce the fuel capacity so they have to pit more often.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
NASCAR under Brian France's leadership has killed the average fan...it's not a dying sport per say...they make all their money from TV...not the fans attending the race.

Many of these great racetracks built all these additional stands in the 90s...before the 90s the sport was largely what it is today attendance wise...NASCAR's leadership and the track owners have refused to see the writing on the wall that the boom of the 90s is gone.

I've watched NASCAR since I was young; this year's package has brought real racing back and it's good racing.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Being an excellent sports promoter, let me have this one:
Put a stripper in the passenger seat. Each Finish-Line-pass let her toss out an article of
clothing. Fans eyes will be glued to the track. Other than that I don't know what could turn it
around ... 'cept maybe have 'em run clockwise ... at least at some tracks.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did I tell this story in the worst thing you ever did thread? I cant remember and I am too lazy to go find out. So I'll tell it again.

My very last race that I went to was 2 years ago in Daytona. It was a very typical tailgate. The same 10 guys that have been going for 20 years. We bring 2 Honda quiet generators with all the goodies. The margarita machine and portable AC are my favorites, besides the Green Egg. You'd be shocked at what a woman would do to sit in front on an AC for 5 minutes and drink an icee margarita. Dont get me wrong... the women are generally disgusting, but that kinda makes it fun. Anyway... it starts raining around 6 pm. No worries for us, because we always set up a huge carport size tent. The race is delayed until 11. Again, we come prepared, so we are set. But it just wouldnt stop raining. At 11 pm, they postpone the race until 9 AM. Well, we are so set up and it is so late... the decision is made to stay right there and tailgate through the night. At 1am, the ****ing security guard comes up and says we cant stay there overnight. We are parked AT the track. We had to clear out, which puts a real damper on the mood. There are obviously no hotel rooms vacant in a 45 minute radius. So I saw screw it, I want to stumble back home to shower and take a couple of hour nap and head back in the morning. My friends, knowing damn well that I wouldnt come back... refuse to let me leave. I was really getting pissed. One friend told me to relax, this will be fun because it is such a bad decision. So we set up in a new spot over by Target. At 2am, some of the guys start falling asleep. One guy went to sleep on the pavement. One guy went to sleep curled up on one of the typical folding chairs. It's like a homeless camp. My best friend and I decide to walk to the track. To our amazement... it was open. We walked right in and walked around the entire track. For some stupid reason, I had a sharpie in my pocket and we signed the wall right at the finish line. We make our way back to our cars around 4:30 and try to catch some sleep. I slept in the car with the AC running. Now we are in uncharted territory, because we are out of supplies. Luckily, our basic needs are met in Target. The race starts at 9 or 10, whatever. And it starts raining again at 11. I'm done and convince a few others to leave as well. As we get back into the car to drive back... we all have the worst BO I've ever smelled coupled with the fact that we were sweating beer. Luckily it was a rental, because there is no way that smell was coming out of that car. We get cleaned up at the closest house. One guy walks out of the showering and asked if I knew how to remove a tick. Stunningly, he had a tick on his balls.

Yep. That was my last race.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
The 'sport' turned its' back on its' soul in the name of greed.....North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, and only one race in Darlington. Piss on it.
I agree. Racing in places like Las Vegas and Delaware. Delaware? Kansas? That coupled with the fact their championship format makes the regular season as exciting as the NBA, especially since they've opened it up to 16 qualifying drivers. Every time Kyle opens his mouth, you know he ain't from around here.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff!

Racing - Physically demanding and takes a lot of skill (quick reactions, good feel for what the car will or will not do) as they're pushing the envelope on every turn (if they don't then the guy next to them is going to pass them and they're going to lose their ride). BTW - I've probably been to over 50 Nascar races (and more local track races), mostly between 1990-2000. Racing has been ruined by: 1. The Chase - you take away 75% of the field for the last 10 races and you lose something, IMO; 2. The Chase - you don't have to pay any attention to what happened during the season until The Chase starts; 3. Too many multi-car teams - I just don't like the dynamic is provides; 4. Since I haven't been to a race in 15+ years, do they still let you bring in your own cooler full of beer? If not, then that's a big deal, for me anyway. Sport or not? Decision = tossup.

Bowling - this one is more dear to my heart as I've bowled in a league pretty much every year since I was 5 years old. I'd say it's a sport, but I'm obviously biased. Can something be called a sport where you can drink and smoke? IDK, back in college (and beyond really) we used to get lit up and drunk and go play basketball, golf, ultimate frisbee and more! Do I watch bowling on TV? Hell no. Sport or not?
200_s.gif

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There's two questions = 1) is something a sport? and 2) are the "players" athletes?
Well it seems bowling requires learning/recognizing/applying some proper muscle contraction
sequences to get ball-flite right and then making sure to repeat those precisely every time.
Seems some arguments can be made that "Whack-A-Mole" is a sport.

Jun 2, 2015
IMHO, it takes a whole lot of stamina, driving skill, some mechanical knowledge, a whole lot of guts and a little dose of crazy to be a NASCAR driver. I don't specifically think of them as athletes, but they do have to stay in good physical condition to be able to compete. I have ridden around the track on the lower apron. The high apron is 31 deg. and you can't walk up it, nor crawl up it. Sitting in a race car is not comfortable. There is a whole different perspective being on the track than what you see on TV. Even if you don't enjoy the race, the track tour is very interesting. They take you up on the track and back in the garage area. Not sure if the tour includes the medical facility but it is state of the art. The track renovation is complete and they now have escalators.

Last edited:

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did I tell this story in the worst thing you ever did thread? I cant remember and I am too lazy to go find out. So I'll tell it again.

My very last race that I went to was 2 years ago in Daytona. It was a very typical tailgate. The same 10 guys that have been going for 20 years. We bring 2 Honda quiet generators with all the goodies. The margarita machine and portable AC are my favorites, besides the Green Egg. You'd be shocked at what a woman would do to sit in front on an AC for 5 minutes and drink an icee margarita. Dont get me wrong... the women are generally disgusting, but that kinda makes it fun. Anyway... it starts raining around 6 pm. No worries for us, because we always set up a huge carport size tent. The race is delayed until 11. Again, we come prepared, so we are set. But it just wouldnt stop raining. At 11 pm, they postpone the race until 9 AM. Well, we are so set up and it is so late... the decision is made to stay right there and tailgate through the night. At 1am, the ****ing security guard comes up and says we cant stay there overnight. We are parked AT the track. We had to clear out, which puts a real damper on the mood. There are obviously no hotel rooms vacant in a 45 minute radius. So I saw screw it, I want to stumble back home to shower and take a couple of hour nap and head back in the morning. My friends, knowing damn well that I wouldnt come back... refuse to let me leave. I was really getting pissed. One friend told me to relax, this will be fun because it is such a bad decision. So we set up in a new spot over by Target. At 2am, some of the guys start falling asleep. One guy went to sleep on the pavement. One guy went to sleep curled up on one of the typical folding chairs. It's like a homeless camp. My best friend and I decide to walk to the track. To our amazement... it was open. We walked right in and walked around the entire track. For some stupid reason, I had a sharpie in my pocket and we signed the wall right at the finish line. We make our way back to our cars around 4:30 and try to catch some sleep. I slept in the car with the AC running. Now we are in uncharted territory, because we are out of supplies. Luckily, our basic needs are met in Target. The race starts at 9 or 10, whatever. And it starts raining again at 11. I'm done and convince a few others to leave as well. As we get back into the car to drive back... we all have the worst BO I've ever smelled coupled with the fact that we were sweating beer. Luckily it was a rental, because there is no way that smell was coming out of that car. We get cleaned up at the closest house. One guy walks out of the showering and asked if I knew how to remove a tick. Stunningly, he had a tick on his balls.

Yep. That was my last race.
Did you tell him the best way to remove a tic is to burn it off? Not sure what I would do if I were him! Probably go to the doctors and have them take it off. I wouldn't trust another dude who was drunk a few hours before near my manhood with a needle, tweezers, or fire. No way, no how!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Best way to remove a tick is to put a speaker close to it while playing Nickelback. It's cruel
but he drops off writhing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator