NCAA announces all athletes can make money

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I don't disagree that it's probably not the right way to put it. And I'm not really trying to defend Mullen here. But honestly, what's he supposed to say? Again, somewhat rhetorical and there are definitely better answers. But he's a head coach and doesn't make these rules. Does he blast his own admin for being archaic and arbitrary about the whole thing? What would that even accomplish?

Oh, I dont know...maybe something like...most of our players are already working on benefiting from NIL as well. Anything other than what he said. He looks stupid and uneducated on a topic that a lot of recruits are excited about.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
There was a pop up on my phone on July 1st or 2nd about Florida players and the NIL. It was from a gator website, can't remember which one but it listed of 20 or 30 players who had deals in place the very first day. Didn't go into specifics about money or who the deals were with but it was basically saying UF had already helped line these deals up for these kids in advance. According to some of you UF isn't doing anything but according to that article UF had 20+ kids getting money day 1. Not arguing either side but somebody is full of shyt.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Oh, I dont know...maybe something like...most of our players are already working on benefiting from NIL as well. Anything other than what he said. He looks stupid and uneducated on a topic that a lot of recruits are excited about.

I agree w/ this. It's a lead story from media days on many outlets. Most people just read the headlines, and/or just skim the article....and - once again - puts him (and UF) in a bad/negative light. It's almost like "here goes that dumbass Mullen again". Sure, it's mostly our rivals having fun with it, but it's also something that recruits (and their parents) see.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There was a pop up on my phone on July 1st or 2nd about Florida players and the NIL. It was from a gator website, can't remember which one but it listed of 20 or 30 players who had deals in place the very first day. Didn't go into specifics about money or who the deals were with but it was basically saying UF had already helped line these deals up for these kids in advance. According to some of you UF isn't doing anything but according to that article UF had 20+ kids getting money day 1. Not arguing either side but somebody is full of shyt.

They can't stop players from getting NIL money. But to my knowledge, we're the only school that has issued its own bylaws on the matter, effectively policing our own boosters who will likely be a part of things, even if indirectly. Basically, what happened at miami would never be allowed here.

Doesn't mean he handled it correctly, but as I just said above, the idea of a booster meeting with the school officials as this gym owner did and essentially getting their blessing would not happen here. So again, he's deflecting and he's terrible at doing so. It's not a good look and yes you could chalk it up to "there goes Mullen again" as BMF said. But if he could simply say "well, we have some boosters that are looking to structure something similar" he would have. Basically, he shouldn't have to be in that position, handled well or not.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But Mullen's comment about Miami..."Is that even legal? I dont want to go to jail"...its the stupidest thing he's ever said. .
it's not even close.

it's to the point that every press conference is cringe-worthy. he says stupid things on a non-stop basis.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Doesn't mean he handled it correctly, but as I just said above, the idea of a booster meeting with the school officials as this gym owner did and essentially getting their blessing would not happen here. So again, he's deflecting and he's terrible at doing so. It's not a good look and yes you could chalk it up to "there goes Mullen again" as BMF said. But if he could simply say "well, we have some boosters that are looking to structure something similar" he would have. Basically, he shouldn't have to be in that position, handled well or not.

The school has nothing to do with it. There is no blessing to give. The gym owner is paying any Miami scholarship football players $500 a month if they advertise his gym on social media. It has nothing to do with the school.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The school has nothing to do with it. There is no blessing to give. The gym owner is paying any Miami scholarship football players $500 a month if they advertise his gym on social media. It has nothing to do with the school.

This is from a few weeks ago. It's classified as our interpretation of the rules.
  • The University of Florida, the athletic department, staff members or boosters may not compensate or arrange compensation to a current or prospective intercollegiate athlete for her or his name, image, likeness.
That's literally what the um booster did.

He has started the corporation Bring Back The U in an effort to continue to help pay Miami football players. His attorney, Darren Heitner, was hired to make sure Lambert is not violating any laws as he continues his efforts to support the team financially.

Heitner told ESPN that Lambert's previous donations and personal love for the team do not keep him from starting a company that assists Miami athletes in getting paid.

"There's no prohibition on an entity who may have a booster as a member," Heitner said. "The only restriction is if the entity itself supports the institution or the athletic department."

Gym Owner Offers to Pay Miami Players $500 a Month

From the ESPN article...

Lambert said he has had multiple conversations with the school's compliance department to tell them about his plans.

Time will tell if our administration will allow this from boosters. But I think we all know the answer.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
This is from a few weeks ago. It's classified as our interpretation of the rules.
  • The University of Florida, the athletic department, staff members or boosters may not compensate or arrange compensation to a current or prospective intercollegiate athlete for her or his name, image, likeness.
That's literally what the um booster did.

He has started the corporation Bring Back The U in an effort to continue to help pay Miami football players. His attorney, Darren Heitner, was hired to make sure Lambert is not violating any laws as he continues his efforts to support the team financially.

Heitner told ESPN that Lambert's previous donations and personal love for the team do not keep him from starting a company that assists Miami athletes in getting paid.

"There's no prohibition on an entity who may have a booster as a member," Heitner said. "The only restriction is if the entity itself supports the institution or the athletic department."

Gym Owner Offers to Pay Miami Players $500 a Month

From the ESPN article...

Lambert said he has had multiple conversations with the school's compliance department to tell them about his plans.

Time will tell if our administration will allow this from boosters. But I think we all know the answer.

MOM...yes, it is from a few weeks ago and we already went down the road that UF is getting in the way. I also already mentioned that before in this thread to. Not sure what you are trying to say in defense of Mullen because like you point out again, this is between a business and the players which doesn't involve the school at all. And like I said already, its either Mullen being dumb to think its illegal or a horrible way to try and make Miami look bad. If you are actually suggesting he is trying to throw a backhanded comment at Strickie and Fuchs, then he is even dumber than I previously thought. That would be a lose lose lose for him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MOM...yes, it is from a few weeks ago and we already went down the road that UF is getting in the way. I also already mentioned that before in this thread to. Not sure what you are trying to say in defense of Mullen because like you point out again, this is between a business and the players which doesn't involve the school at all. And like I said already, its either Mullen being dumb to think its illegal or a horrible way to try and make Miami look bad. If you are actually suggesting he is trying to throw a backhanded comment at Strickie and Fuchs, then he is even dumber than I previously thought. That would be a lose lose lose for him.

Well you just said above that the school had no bearing or say. Now you’re acknowledging that UF is getting in the way, which was my whole point. That it’s probably pretty frustrating to sit there knowing that a rival school is getting headlines for doing something you aren’t allowed to do. I also acknowledged that it was dumb and handled poorly, so there’s really no need for the continued argument. It’s this type of hasty response that landed you in bed with a math teacher and circus freak just last week.You really have to slow down. For your own good.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Well you just said above that the school had no bearing or say. Now you’re acknowledging that UF is getting in the way, which was my whole point. That it’s probably pretty frustrating to sit there knowing that a rival school is getting headlines for doing something you aren’t allowed to do. I also acknowledged that it was dumb and handled poorly, so there’s really no need for the continued argument. It’s this type of hasty response that landed you in bed with a math teacher and circus freak just last week.You really have to slow down. For your own good.

Thats the point I was making. We all know UF is getting in the way. But on top of that you got Dan saying the worst possible thing in response to the question where he could have promoted the UF brand but instead came off as ignorant. Good job on circling your argument around to make my point for me though.

Maybe Im a bit weird, probably am, but I don't think landing in bed with a math teacher and circus freak is necessarily a bad thing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Time will tell if our administration will allow this from boosters..
How are they going to stop it?

The only group more litigation averse than NCAA, it is UF. You are talking about the people that had Sharkfuchser by nuts and settled for only 95% of his buyout.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How are they going to stop it?

I honestly don't know, and agree that it's both wrong and completely inconsistent with the whole woke/BLM thing. But putting out additional language, and specifically mentioning the arranging of benefits tells me they wouldn't be as liberal in their interpretation and handling of a gym owner type situation. At a minimum, I see us being much more abrasive and trying to hamper it in contrast with other schools who are already embracing things. If I'm wrong, so be it. Hope that I am.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Supreme Court has already ruled, nine to nothing.

No state law nor University regulation that limits kids from working outside of the college or selling nil is going to survive scrutiny.

However the rumor has it that PDS still works in the legal department. Since he still hasn't figured out you can put covenants not to compete in an employment contract, I'm not sure how stupid he'll be on this issue. If I'm honest, I'm not optimistic.

UF would lose quickly.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
So net. Explain to me how NIL is goof for
a) College Football
b) UF

Really not sure what you are trying to say, but ok...a)talented kids will stay longer instead of jumping to nfl and b) if UF would stop being stupid they could use this as a tool to start recruiting better since UF is one of the schools with big booster support

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
So net. Explain to me how NIL is goof for
a) College Football
b) UF

I don't think anyone but college football players believe it's actually good for college football. Some of us thought it may be good for UF since maybe it would legally allow business owners to help the shyt show recruiters we've got. But evidently the UF brass said "not so fast, hold my beer and watch this mother fucher".

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I don't think anyone but college football players believe it's actually good for college football. Some of us thought it may be good for UF since maybe it would legally allow business owners to help the shyt show recruiters we've got. But evidently the UF brass said "not so fast, hold my beer and watch this mother fucher".

No no no...that is the argument you keep trying to make because you think they are all just too stupid to be able to be given $. That is literally the argument you previously made which really makes your whole quote above hilarious and stupid all at the same time. You making fun of UF for regulate it all while saying it needs to be regulated because the football players are too stupid to be paid.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No one gives a fuchs whether it is "good for UF" whatever in the fuchs that means anyway.

What right does NCAA (or UF) have in keeping the kids from doing whatever they want with respect to outside employment? The answer is none.

Nine to nothing.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
No one gives a fuchs whether it is "good for UF" whatever in the fuchs that means anyway.

What right does NCAA (or UF) have in keepingnthe kids from doing whatever they want woth respect to outside employment? The answer is none.

Nine to nothing.

But but but...they are all too stupid to earn money...they all come from the hood and can't handle it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.