NCAA panel eyes shorter football games, cites player "safety"

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

The rule changes under consideration include: running the clock after a first down is awarded, except in the last two minutes of either half; eliminating the option for teams to call consecutive team timeouts; and carrying over any fouls to the next period instead of finishing with an untimed down.

Discuss.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds eerily similar to my 8 year olds football league rules. What would we do without the brilliant minds running the NCAA?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They want the college game to be the pro game so badly, why not just adopt the NFL rules across the board and be done with it? Don't worry, though, the networks won't allow the games to actually end any quicker, so we'll just have to watch more commercials between the less actual game. CBS televised games are already unbearable thanks to this, imagine it with a few more commercials stuffed in there. Yippee.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's already been mentioned a thousand times over - they could easily shorten football games by simply having fewer commercials.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Shorten the play time and increase commercial time so the can rest and have milk and cookies, while playing more commercials.

These numbnuts are going to kill the Goose.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
They want the college game to be the pro game so badly, why not just adopt the NFL rules across the board and be done with it? Don't worry, though, the networks won't allow the games to actually end any quicker, so we'll just have to watch more commercials between the less actual game. CBS televised games are already unbearable thanks to this, imagine it with a few more commercials stuffed in there. Yippee.

Get ready for lots of this :lol:

DE309E40-9D16-45B8-8E06-135E2DBBA3DD.png

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I'd like to see the role of field goals reduced throughout games so that fewer are decided by someone who can't get hit on the last play of the game. Too many games are ending this way, and it's getting boring. Maybe have a dead zone between midfield and the opponent's 20 yard line from which you aren't allowed to even attempt field goals. That way it's either got to be a hard kick to make or you have to earn more field position to do it. It's too easy to get in position for a 40 yard field goal with a couple of quick tosses. No timeouts or commercials the last two minutes of a half.

Last edited:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Stop with this, "we're doing X for the SAFETY OF THE PLAYERS" bullschitt.

It's NEVER for the players and is ALWAYS for the almighty dollar.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
College football has changed. Teams are throwing the ball a lot more. Incomplete passes stop the clock and (in college) first downs stop the clock.

I wouldn't object to matching the NFL rule and not stopping the clock for every first down.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
College football has changed. Teams are throwing the ball a lot more. Incomplete passes stop the clock and (in college) first downs stop the clock.

I wouldn't object to matching the NFL rule and not stopping the clock for every first down.

Alex.

I don’t really care one way or the other. I do think the constant tinkering is exhausting though. The only one that makes sense is back to back timeouts, just because they’re typically only used to ice kickers. That said, if it’s about team safety, I don’t know how eliminating the chance for a team to take an extra 5 to 10 minutes of rest, undoubtedly at the end of the game, is a bad thing.

On the running clock, I’ve always said that our 2006 season was greatly aided by the clock running after kickoffs. If you go back to that season, we had to run out the clock, and hang on for dear life in about eight different contests. I wonder what games like ut, uga, fsu, even Vandy would’ve looked like if there was an extra 2-ish minutes added back in. It was the perfect one year rule for us. As Spurrier would day, God smiled.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Less football - more commercials. It just gets better and better. I'd say of all the reasons I stopped going to games having to sit through TV timeouts is about 25% of it. You can bet that TV isn't going to reduce the length of the broadcast. Lucky us we get 8 more minutes of commercials.

What I love though is that because they are giving us more high quality football (cough, cough) with the 12 team playoffs they have to shorten the number of plays in each individual game resulting in less football for everybody so playoff teams won't go over their safety quota.
Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From the article:

"Shaw said the idea surrounding the first-down change was to keep the game moving but preserve the uniqueness of the last two minutes of the half."

"To me, that's a beautiful difference between the college game and the NFL game that lasts two minutes," Shaw said. "Even though you may not have a timeout, if you make a first down, you have an opportunity to get to the ball and get a snap. It makes for an exciting end to the game."

BN response:

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

BN advocating to keep that clock rolling, baby! Let that thing run so he can get his team to the locker room!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t really care one way or the other. I do think the constant tinkering is exhausting though. The only one that makes sense is back to back timeouts, just because they’re typically only used to ice kickers. That said, if it’s about team safety, I don’t know how eliminating the chance for a team to take an extra 5 to 10 minutes of rest, undoubtedly at the end of the game, is a bad thing.

On the running clock, I’ve always said that our 2006 season was greatly aided by the clock running after kickoffs. If you go back to that season, we had to run out the clock, and hang on for dear life in about eight different contests. I wonder what games like ut, uga, fsu, even Vandy would’ve looked like if there was an extra 2-ish minutes added back in. It was the perfect one year rule for us. As Spurrier would day, God smiled.
The Cock Block ... it all went as planned.

Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
They need to just go ahead and adopt the pee wee football rules. Shorten the game by only playing 8 minute quarters and when a team goes up by, say, 4 TDs then no player who has already scored a TD can touch the ball. :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator