Gator Basketball NCAA Tourney cancelled

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Common sense isn't banning fans it's having free germ x at the entrance

I give up. Common sense is avoiding a virus whose properties are still not well understood. We'll know a hell of a lot more in a month, when real statistics mean something. Have a chat with the Washington State officials..people in charge of things on the ground not politicians. Nah, never mind, they don't have time to talk to you. But the sure as hell were on that conf call. You might change your mind, but go ahead shoot from the hip.I hesitate to call you an idiot because I'm not in favor of overreaction, but you're an idiot.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The death rate for Covid-19 is already far higher than that of the regular flu. I’m not sure any of you understand how percentages work.

Ahh..let's see.

Few tests were available to get an accurate total number with the virus.

If many have MINOR symptoms or are asymptomatic and are not tested that effects the totals.

If this virus seems to mostly affect the elderly and immune compromised that effects the totals.

So the percentages or statistics are skewed showing a HIGHER MORTALITY rate.

NIH is saying MILLIONS could have been exposed already maybe as many as 100 miliion.

Sure...it will get worse but it's not a ZOMBIE apocalypse.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
The MEDIA ...MSM...MEDIA is owing this up against Trump...even CA Gov praised the Federal response.

I've said this was serious from the beginning BUT it affects far fewer than most viruses.

And if you are so sure...IF the death toll in the USA is higher than the flu I'll give you my OX Bucks...if not you stop posting for a month.

This is like food poisoning...something I know a little about. Listeria has a high mortality rate but few get it. Salmonella is extremely common but seldom fatal.

I’m not hanging COVID on Trump. He neither caused this issue nor f@cked it up (yet). He can’t help himself in lying about it (e.g. anyone who wants a test can get a test).

In all seriousness, if the MSM is the root of the issue, why are so many state and local govt officials cancelling events that’ll cost them hundreds of millions (Billions by now)? They aren’t doing it bc some news anchor tells them to. It’s at the urging of their own state and local medical officials and the federal government’s.

I have a connection with a physician who you’ve seen on TV and is held out as a national expert on this. In private, he’s dead serious concerned about COVID. If it spikes quickly, the healthcare system could be overwhelmed, which could leave a ton of Americans SOL. I assume that would increase the mortality rate, which is already estimated as 10x what the flu is.

I’m not a Dr, but I don’t think the experts are concerned about the flu overwhelming hospitals across the country. For now, if they can slow the spread of COVID and flatten out the curve, the population and economy could be much better off.

Any public health experts out there please correct me where I’m wrong.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I think we will know better as we get more info from Italy, if they are looking at 12k cases and 800 dead, that is bad shyt. The total cases is always way greater than confirmed, so the math involved is beyond me. I would guess they know it will spread but are trying to limit the speed of the spread as systems will get overwhelmed quickly. Most recent reports are Italian Hospitals are overwhelmed.

That CDC shot down the drive through testing that some countries have is beyond me, go wait in a room with a bunch of people

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ahh..let's see.

Few tests were available to get an accurate total number with the virus.

If many have MINOR symptoms or are asymptomatic and are not tested that effects the totals.

If this virus seems to mostly affect the elderly and immune compromised that effects the totals.

So the percentages or statistics are skewed showing a HIGHER MORTALITY rate.

NIH is saying MILLIONS could have been exposed already maybe as many as 100 miliion.

Sure...it will get worse but it's not a ZOMBIE apocalypse.

True statements all. We don't know the denominator. Apocalypse? Almost certainly not. Media Frenzy? Absolutely. Overreaction by most? Yep. Not a significant problem? Facts not yet in evidence.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
The death rate for Covid-19 is already far higher than that of the regular flu. I’m not sure any of you understand how percentages work.

What a delightful self-ownage. You realize the difference in sample size matters when talking about percentages, right? In fact, it is absolutely everything when one is making an argument like the one you are trying to. The reported death rates are all over the place and even in the best studies vary wildly with some having it on par bad flu seasons and others as high as 18% (which is obviously garbage or you'd have whole cities collapsing in China). You also realize extrapolating death rates in the West from Chinese death rates will likely be as useful as it was for SARS and H1N1, right?

ACE2-expressing cell ratio?

Pollution rate?

Smoking population as a percentage?

Let's panic every time a virus comes out of Asia. See you in a few months.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Taiwan got covid contained very, very quickly. Still, we don't know much about it. What is the harm in waiting a month to see what we learn? Maybe a vaccine by then? Who knows.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Taiwan got covid contained very, very quickly. Still, we don't know much about it. What is the harm in waiting a month to see what we learn? Maybe a vaccine by then? Who knows.

Vaccine...it will be next year.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Something else to add. The death rate is impossible to know. China's treatment of the quarantined is well documented to be criminal. There is no way to know how many died from covid-19, other reasons, or a compounding effect. The Taiwanese themselves said there is no way to know whether it was covid-19 or the man's numerous other health problems which took his life. I actually think the death rate is lower than being reported because of China's disgusting mistreatment of those people.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Actual Death Rate = Deaths/number of actual cases. Actual cases not yet a good number
Deaths = Actual Death Rate x the number of actual cases. Which means Deaths are a function of the virus's ability to spread. (we don't know that yet. We don't even know if it's seasonal).

Give it a month and we'll know a great deal more.

This is basic logic which I'm sure you're all capable of.

This is not just a clinical issue. For those of you who like your 401-k. For those of you who would like life to return to normal without event x,y and Z being cancelled. For those of you who would prefer that airline profits and cruise line profits not go in the tank For those of you who would prefer that a lot of things not go in the tank, this is about the mindset of the country. If we can contain this. If it dies out in the spring/summer, then the things you care about return to semi-normal. If there's good news about containment. If there's good news about communicability. If there's good news about seasonality, then the hysteria dies down.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The overreaction to the whole thing is comical. But, that’s the world we live in now. Been traveling all day today and the airports are far less busy than normal but they have plenty of toilet paper and hand soap and hand sanitizer. Yet again government gets far more involved than they should by overreaching

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
I give up. Common sense is avoiding a virus whose properties are still not well understood. We'll know a hell of a lot more in a month, when real statistics mean something. Have a chat with the Washington State officials..people in charge of things on the ground not politicians. Nah, never mind, they don't have time to talk to you. But the sure as hell were on that conf call. You might change your mind, but go ahead shoot from the hip.I hesitate to call you an idiot because I'm not in favor of overreaction, but your an idiot.
Turn off CNN and npr radio

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
Something else to add. The death rate is impossible to know. China's treatment of the quarantined is well documented to be criminal. There is no way to know how many died from covid-19, other reasons, or a compounding effect. The Taiwanese themselves said there is no way to know whether it was covid-19 or the man's numerous other health problems which took his life. I actually think the death rate is lower than being reported because of China's disgusting mistreatment of those people.
Bingo it's been less than 1% as of late. Chinas #s can't be trusted

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's higher. I don't think it's "far" higher.

To everyone: Keep the politics out of this or I'll have to move it.
Nothing political. It’s math. If the death rate of the regular flu is 0.1%, and the death rate of Covid-19 is 2.1% (based on the chart NV provided), that means Covid-19 is 21 times more deadly than the regular flu. 21! Does that not count as far higher? That’s like if one football team scores 7 points in a game, and the other team scores 147.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.