Neal Walk Rip

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good Gator. Good NBA Gator-rep. Good man even in his handicap. Rest in peace.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
RIP, Gator!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Hard to believe Neal Walk is dead. Such a physical specimen. Still the UF career leader in rebounds and in post per game scoring average.

He played for Coach Tommy Bartlett's Gators way before Florida made an impact on the college basketball national radar. But with Neal Walk at center, Florida was a threat to win any game.

Attachments

• conv_4810.jpeg
    conv_4810.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 22

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was a good man.

RIP

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I saw him in Alligator Alley. One year ave. 27 pts and almost 20 reb. a game. Great player and from what I read a great man. Dooley does him justice in the Sun today.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n292158 said:
I saw him in Alligator Alley. One year ave. 27 pts and almost 20 reb. a game. Great player and from what I read a great man. Dooley does him justice in the Sun today.

That's good that Dooley wrote a good tribute to him because I remember when he was going through his back surgery that left him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, someone at the Sun - either Hairston or Dooley - wrote a piece that berated Walk for not returning their calls. They obviously didn't know the ordeal Walk was going through, but they could have made a couple of calls to the Phoenix Suns front office and found out pretty quickly. That was was some mighty fine journalism, right there. What an embarrassment. It reminds me of the time Dooley made fun of Frank Beamer's facial deformity.

From what I'd read about Walk, he was a pretty interesting guy. He went on some kind of spiritual journey in the 70s that may have coincided with the end of his professional career. He became a vegan, lost weight because of it, began experimenting with drugs and changed his name to Joshua Hawk. I never saw Neal Walk play, but I wish I had. It would be good if the UAA would post some of the old Gator games from his era on YouTube so those of us who were too young to have seen him can watch him play. Most of what I know about his playing career I read about in a small pamphlet about Jewish Sports Legends I once got on an airplane.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n292173 said:
Most of what I know about his playing career I read about in a small pamphlet about Jewish Sports Legends I once got on an airplane.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAAAAA!!!!!!!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Missed this. Tremendously sad and unexpected. Neal Walk was a groundbreaker for the basketball program.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A sad day for the Gator Nation.

RIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online