Nebraska crushed by awful Illinois; Frost throws players under bus

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You know we adore you King Ox, but your bat$hit crazy if you think that Frost is better than Mullen. (Don't take this as a defense of Mullen, just a criticism of your statement.)
If my statement irritated you, even for a few moments, it's wonderfully satisfying for me.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Maybe the biggest area where Mullen bests frost is that he didn’t allow outside pressures to dictate his decision-making. There is no doubt that Scott Frost did not actually want to go to Nebraska and knew deep down it would be his undoing. Despite how humor, that’s actually one thing Ox called even then. In contrast, Mullen flirted with but ultimately turned down several offers to places that weren’t what he truly wanted and where he could win.

The whole thing with Frost is embarrassing. I doubt his wife even has sex with him at this point.

Last edited:

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Maybe the biggest area where Mullen bests frost is that he didn’t allow outside pressures to dictate his decision-making. There is no doubt that Scott Frost did not actually want to go to Nebraska and knew deep down it would be his undoing. Despite how humor, that’s actually one thing Ox called even then. In contrast, Mullen flirted with but ultimately turned down several offers to places that weren’t what he truly wanted and where he could win.
There are countless minor league superstars that crash and burn in the big leagues. Looks like we can add Frost to that list.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My point is, NU is one of the worst jobs in the nation because the fans constantly expect to return to their glorious NC past, even though it's over and will never return. It's now an impossible place to recruit to. Going there as a "savior" was a complete recipe for disaster and he had to know it.

Arrogance and pride are funny things. They are so easy to see and dislike in others and so hard to see in ourselves.

giphy.gif

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that he made the wrong move going to Nebraska. He was my top choice for the UF job.

There's no way to know how it would have gone if he would have been hired at UF, but I'm pleased with how Mullen's time here has gone in contrast to how any other potential hire from that year have done at their job. Unfortunately, we might be experiencing the zenith of Mullen's time at UF this year unless he makes staff changes. I can't see him having more success after Trask leaves unless the defensive staff has major changes. I think to rise into the category of teams that makes the championship playoff we also need improved recruiting in addition to the defensive improvement.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I agree that he made the wrong move going to Nebraska. He was my top choice for the UF job.

There's no way to know how it would have gone if he would have been hired at UF, but I'm pleased with how Mullen's time here has gone in contrast to how any other potential hire from that year have done at their job. Unfortunately, we might be experiencing the zenith of Mullen's time at UF this year unless he makes staff changes. I can't see him having more success after Trask leaves unless the defensive staff has major changes. I think to rise into the category of teams that makes the championship playoff we also need improved recruiting in addition to the defensive improvement.
100% spot on. Unless Mullen makes defensive changes, this will be his best year.

I was thinking a couple of weeks back that next year is going to be tough for us. A lot of the offense will be gone and the D has been pathetic. 2021 could get real ugly for Mullen no matter what. Not LSU bad from last year to this year, but definitely 3-5 losses.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
We will take a step back next year, but we will still be a "good" team. The defense will be better, EJ will be a good qb, the OL won't be quite as good, the wrs more than adequate. The frustrating thing for me was that this year was our chance for greatness. All we needed was an average defense.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What do you base this on? The talent pool is drying up, we will no longer be able to rely on Butters players. Mullen hasn't recruited any talent on defense since he got here.

Donovan Stiner will graduate?

Seriously, we'll lose a lot of the starters on both lines after this year. :fear:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Donovan Stiner will graduate?

Seriously, we'll lose a lot of the starters on both lines after this year. :fear:
Yup. I'll bet Mullen has been on the phone with his agent a LOT, demanding that he had better land him an extension before next season.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
My point is, NU is one of the worst jobs in the nation because the fans constantly expect to return to their glorious NC past, even though it's over and will never return. It's now an impossible place to recruit to. Going there as a "savior" was a complete recipe for disaster and he had to know it.

He's still a better coach than Mullen, but his star is gone.

For you to make that statement, tell us which gam Mullen has lost that Frosty would have won.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
100% spot on. Unless Mullen makes defensive changes, this will be his best year.

I was thinking a couple of weeks back that next year is going to be tough for us. A lot of the offense will be gone and the D has been pathetic. 2021 could get real ugly for Mullen no matter what. Not LSU bad from last year to this year, but definitely 3-5 losses.

The problem though, is that was supposed to be this year. Everything from “lucky wins” in ‘18-19 swinging back against us, losing all the WRs, Henderson, Zuniga, Perine, Grenard, etc. The prevailing thought was we would be taking a significant step back this season. We haven’t.

The defense has been bad, and was going to be bad due to scheme and personnel. But defenses across the country seem to be not as good either, so I think COVID has a role, which won’t be the case next year. My guess is we look closer to the 2007 version(scary to think that would be an improvement) where we have talent in key spots, but a ton of youth taking their lumps. I think we’re better but the lack of experience will hurt.

The one thing I do feel will help us out is that we won’t be quite as quick-strike on offense. I think we’ll be more methodical and give our young defense more time to rest, as opposed to the 3-4 play TD drives we’ve seen this year.

Bottom line, I’ve been as critical as anyone here and probably more bipolar than any has ever seen regarding Mullen. But he keeps defying what we as naysayers have said. I’ll give him credit where it’s due, and I don’t feel like we’ve peaked or are even close.

I’d still be in favor of some wholesale changes on the defensive staff.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
For you to make that statement, tell us which gam Mullen has lost that Frosty would have won.
Records would probably be somewhat similar, but the recruiting classes would be faaaaar superior under Frost at this point. We'd be looking at a powerhouse 2021 season instead of the enormous step-back that's on the horizon. There's only so long the Butters classes can carry Mullen.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Records would probably be somewhat similar, but the recruiting classes would be faaaaar superior under Frost at this point. We'd be looking at a powerhouse 2021 season instead of the enormous step-back that's on the horizon. There's only so long the Butters classes can carry Mullen.

Frost has proven himself to be the consummate “loves winning more than hates losing” coach. Just like Nebraska, he would’ve dropped every meaningful game in 2018, and we’d probably have missed bowling for a second straight year. Last year, something like 7-5. Dreadful this season. Very much like a RichRod/Michigan scenario where he burns the house down in the name of culture change while spending 3 seasons being bludgeoned, before getting fired and leaving a disaster.

As for recruiting, rivals would point to the fact that some random fat guy named Heupel—who at his introduction ceremony, most at UCF thought was a Coke delivery guy or plumber called to fix the sink—hasn’t missed a beat and is winning just as easily. So they’d bash our HC mercilessly, call him a “ginger”, and if somehow we did anything remotely positive, would switch gears and say he’ll be headed to Lincoln as soon as it reopened. It would’ve sucked.

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Frost is a complete failure as a high profile head coach. He’d have a hard time recruiting a hooker against other SEC schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator